WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sue wrote - "Unfortunately I have hurt my foot. It started when I cleaned the ranch guest house and worked for 6 house straight. My veins are very bad and somehow pooled in the front of my foot at the ankle level. It is hard to walk so I have been limping along. Now it feels like my whole foot hurts. Did a 20minute foot soak with Dr Teals epsome salt and have a Salon Paus gel on my foot. Sure hope it works miracles as I have lots of things to do and places to go!, "

don't mess around long with it, could be a blood clot. Take care.

Janetr OKC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,972 Member
    Options
    Well, I was going to do some more shopping tomorrow at lunch, but apparently we've got 2 cruise ships and approx. 8000 people arriving in town. The shops are already getting busy ... I know I won't be able to handle an additional 8000 people! I think I might walk to the Botanical Gardens instead. There will be a bunch of them there too, but it's a bit place and a little bit out of the way so hopefully not too many.

M in Oz
  • FairBreez
    FairBreez Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am back after 3 yrs of defeat! MFP helped me before to lose 30#...now I have even more to lose. I let untreated depression, toxic family relationships, worsening pain (fibromyalgia/back/injuries from falls) bog me down; I gave up. But I went to the dr two days ago and saw what I weighed, and went home/cried/prayed and made a decision: that is the LAST time I will see that weight on a scale. This is the LAST time I will be about to go up a pant-size again. And this is the LAST time I whine (I hope) about how hard it is to lose weight while dealing with pain & fatigue every day. I will just DO it.

I voiced this to my husband today, and no one else and plan to keep it that way while I adjust my thinking & habits. I'm afraid I'll fail again...but going to do this anyway, with God's help and new resolve.

December isn't the greatest month to restart this, LOL. Plans? 1500-1800 calories, cut sugar way back, walk every freaking day SOME distance, cut back on breads/startches, increase veggies. Try stretching the uninjured parts of my body in some way throughout the day. Visit an N.D. to get a new perspective.

Thanks, ladies. Merry Christmas & be at peace!
    Barb ~~ aka "Bree"
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,506 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Suebdew please listen to Machka and Janetr and go to the ER and get checked out! I had similar symptoms and ended up in hospital with blood clots in leg that if they broke off and travelled to my lungs would have killed me. I'm now on blood thinners and still have swelling in foot and ankle but no more pain, thank Goodness.

clowe1028 Cathy and spikeyhair Kate: WHEN I can get the doggoned wii to find the access point, I'll go to the youtube channel. Subscribed to several line dance choreographers, used laptop to create playlists, then run them from the wii. Did that make sense?
    janetr "...I had pretty much let my exercise fall by the wayside. The last few days I'm back at it and I wonder why I let it go when I know how much BETTER I feel and how much more energy I have all day long when I just do it. Aghh" Ditto here in spades.
    Heatherwhat cuties! Tell me about the empty bunny dollies?
    Becca we are sisters from another mother when it comes to housecleaning. Alas, I promised DH if he'd blow the needles off both decks, I'd vaccum the living room, so guess I'm stuck :(
    Terry, love your DD's christmas light art. Wish they could twinkle, tho' ;}
    Machka How long did it take for your DVT to resolve? Hoping to get off Xarelto when I see the Dr. this month, sure miss my aspirin ;}
    Joyce, ah how good it feels to be clean.
    Michele, "fostering a dog" what a great suggestion!
    Rye love the cats' expressions, they say soooo much ;)
    DJ if Joyce teaches you how to spray the dust holiday colors, please share. We could start a new decorating trend ;)
    Barbie, loved the submerged penquin ornament story. Cats and holidays. Fun!
    Welcome Bree (another Barbara ;> ) This is THE place for support and wisdom and NOW is the greatest time to start.

So my micro action this evening will be to check Spectrum's self help web page to figure out how to get the wii to find the access point.

Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.

Rx aim: log, cod liver oil and bp daily, yog/prob twice daily, 80% rule, line dance, Nov 4 reduce 2-300 cals daily from average.
    Dec intentions:
    Be grateful for who, what and where I am right now.
    Hook up the wii
    Learn how to scan this forum from my phone=done!
    Try BP again with larger cuff
    2 days/week: Tai chi
    6 days/week: Dance or walk 30 mins
    Daily: Log, CLO and 1 probiotic or yog, max 1500 cals

Today so far
    :( no walking/dancing/BP
    :) log, CLO, yog, <1500 cals, synced wii remotes, body test and penguin slide
  • Machka9
    edited December 2017
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Suebdew please listen to Machka and Janetr and go to the ER and get checked out! I had similar symptoms and ended up in hospital with blood clots in leg that if they broke off and travelled to my lungs would have killed me. I'm now on blood thinners and still have swelling in foot and ankle but no more pain, thank Goodness.

Machka How long did it take for your DVT to resolve? Hoping to get off Xarelto when I see the Dr. this month, sure miss my aspirin ;}

I flew from Los Angeles to Melbourne in June 2009. At the time, that was the longest flight in the world, and it was extended because there was an hour delay before take-off, and an hour that we sat on the runway after landing. I'm very active and didn't even think that I was a candidate for DVT, but I was squashed in next two enormous guys with bladders the size of oceans, and I only got up once in the middle of that entire time.

About an hour before we were to land, it felt like I had a cramp in my left calf. I figured I would walk it off once I finally got off that plane.

About 4 weeks later, I was still figuring I'd walk it off when the cramp-like pain changed and my entire left leg started to ache horribly ... and started to feel somehow detached from my body. It felt like I was dragging a tree limb around with me.

Another 2 weeks passed, and one day I walked out to meet my husband as usual ... and couldn't make it. I collapsed by the side of the path unable to drag that leg or breathe. That night I was in the tub with my feet up on the end, and I noticed that my left leg was twice the size of the right.

The next day, I was trying to sweep our cabin, and was having no end of trouble doing that ... just couldn't breathe. All of a sudden the door to the cabin burst open and my husband was there. "Get in the van" he told me, "We're going to the Dr" I guess he had been thinking about me all morning and just felt like I had to be seen.

I was rushed into an ultrasound, the ultrasound tech told me my left leg was chalk full of clots from above the knee down, and she wouldn't let me leave the hospital. I was in there for 2 weeks. And yes, if any of that had broken off, it would have killed me ... and more dangerous because it was above the knee.

Then I was on Warfarin for a year.

I went for several ultrasounds in that time, and it took close to the full year for the last bits of clots disappeared.

I still have issues with swelling now and then. And they discovered that I'm genetically inclined to develop clots ... a genetic mutation. So when I fly, I have to have Clexane injections and wear compression stockings. Surgeries are also problematic.

M in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    suebdew count me in as another voice joining the chorus---visit a doctor to confirm you are treating this right and that you are safe!

Welcome Bree one step at a time, one choice at a time, stick with this, stick with us, it took a long time to get here, you are welcome to vent and cheer and keep working on this with us by your side. and I think it is smart to get a jump on this in December, imagine the damage you could do if you just gave up in front of all those holiday treats and had no restraint :s

Well, Happy concert day to me and my kids, the first of 6 concerts this month begins tonight, 'tis the season! I told DH I would see him later and he is on his own as far as food is concerned. I stocked up yesterday with foods he loves and can make on his own, he really isn't as helpless as he acts, but he does love me to do all the prep work (chopping etc.) He does tend to make a large batch of something and keeps eating it day after day, he will also throw all kinds of leftovers together on one plate and not complain-which is probably because he grew up with very little and can make do with just about anything.

As always, I've got my punchlist and I will just take it one concert at a time and stop to enjoy the excitement, nerves and accomplishment of my little noisy musicians o:)

NYKAREN

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Kim - The technology team are still working on editing the conference. Could be a while! I will let everyone know when it is available and how to find it. No direct links though! :noway:

Barbara - The "empty" toys are their comforters or snugglies that they have had since babies. Max has Nellie, an elephant, Edie has Rabbit, and Bea has Monkey. Edie was the one who was surgically attached to hers and it became a bit of a problem for a while. She is ok now. She has two the same "Original Rabbit" and "Spare Rabbit". DDIL gets them from White Company over here. It does mean they can comfort themselves and settle down to sleep happily, even in a strange place. They are all fantastic sleepers. :D<3 and go to bed at a reasonable time.

DJ - The part of the lunch I was most worried about was the roast potatoes. Ten minutes from serving they looked a bit pallid. I turned them up and they were perfect. Really crispy outside and soft inside. Restaurants can never achieve that perfect crispness, however good they are, so I really wanted to get it right. I cook roast potatoes maybe once a year. I used duck fat.

Quiet week this week. I'm thinking of going to the W I tomorrow night as they are having a Murder Mystery night. :D On Thursday the new dishwasher is coming. They are installing it and taking the old one away for a small extra fee. Very worth it.
    So I think we will write our Christmas cards and finish wrapping.
    Today I am going to make a veggie curry and add the last shreds of the chicken. Then I will make stock with the bones. Avgolemono tomorrow! Yummo! :D:D One of my very favourite things.

Bree - Welcome! You know how to do it because you've done it before. I found it amazing, when I lost the weight, how many of my chronic aches and pains disappeared. I was continually in pain, even in bed. Starting small with exercise and working up is the way to go. If anyone had told me then how much exercise I would be doing now I would have hooted with disbelief! I was a dedicated non-exerciser. The all round benefit to our health is incredible, better than any pill.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• Machka9
    Options
    DJ - The part of the lunch I was most worried about was the roast potatoes. Ten minutes from serving they looked a bit pallid. I turned them up and they were perfect. Really crispy outside and soft inside. Restaurants can never achieve that perfect crispness, however good they are, so I really wanted to get it right. I cook roast potatoes maybe once a year. I used duck fat.

Mmmm ... roast potatoes! :)

My husband likes roast chicken ... that's not right at the top of my list, but about every 6 weeks or so, he picks up a roast chicken from the grocery store and puts it in the oven with a selection of veggies: potatoes, pumpkin, corn on the cob pieces, onion, carrot, cauliflower.

It is SO good ... the veggies especially! And most especially the roast potatoes. :):)

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Lisa - Lovely to see the family. That Haley looks trouble! <3<3<3:D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,741 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Morning Ladies,my left jaw has been bothersome for the last week and woke me up had to take Tylenol..hurts up near my ear and is swollen a bit..my teeth don't hurt..might ask the Dr what he thinks it might be.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    HEATHER loving pics of grands, brings back memories of mine when they were little

LISA lovely family, bet you're so proud of them

Been to gym this morning and going to keep to my mini fast today

Kate UK <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    <3
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Trying to do better keeping up.Still a ways to go.

How to add pictures that are on the posts? Mine need to be clicked on? Love
    Seeing the pictures you all share.

MEG,my heart aches for you,but know you are strong & have a support group.
    Love their gift idea!

JOYCE....sounds like you have a full plate with broken bones.You will get thru it &
    enjoy the season with your family.

DJ,thank you. Christmas has been cut back ...till we do very little. DH is willing to help,but
    he doesn’t care about holidays one way or the other.He was raised that way...a poor family,so it’s part of
    who he is.Cutting back....for me..is just doing the same in all parts of our lives.
    I remember when my parents didn’t want gifts,& now we are there.

How things spread.Both DDs have caught the bug ,starting with buying less.Travel not included LOL

Had to order a couple pair of jeans.DH was making fun of my old baggies.Turned into no fun.
    They were way too long,as they didn’t send petite.
    Re ordered & too big,but the 3rd Time was the charm,down 2 sizes & petite....perfect fit!

I am such a turtle in losing wt
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,373 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Rori - paying off someone's layaway is a great idea. What better way to bring joy to someone's Christmas! I know it was sudden, but good that Julie's daughter showed up so quickly to take care of things and make sure the dog got a home. So nice that you got the plants.

Meg - so glad things have settled down in your world. What a wonderful support group. It's good you can have communication with your DH without having to drive all that way. Hopefully the time will go fast for both of you.

Terry - your daughter is so talented! Bet she could make some extra $$ decorating people's casts like that, especially during the holidays! What a work of art!

Barbie - I'm sure the residents will enjoy your line dancing group! Have fun!!

Katla - oh my word, those puppets are gorgeous!! Glad you were able to ride Arrow - I totally understand the surprise at having a 3rd person & horse there.

Heather - so glad the lunch was good and roast potatoes turned out well - and the photo of the grands in their PJ's is so cute.

Suebdew
    - hope your leg is better - by all means get it looked at!! Please!!

Machka - thank you for sharing the photos of the wind and rain in your area. It's like our April/May weather. Seems like when our little apple trees are blooming in the spring, we always get hard freezes and windstorms as well with most of the petals blown off it seems. By some miracle we've had good apple crops. Fresh cherries sound yummy!

Wendy
    - AKA Goldilocks - love your curls. Are you planning to stay "golden"? I like your hair both colors!

Joyce - hang in there!

Lisa - neat photos of the kids and grands. So glad you'll be there to spend Christmas with them this year. When you took your trip to the beach, did you and Corey have a chance to drive around and scope out areas to possibly settle down in?

Barb (Bree) welcome and jump on in here! All of you new gals, please come back. Lots of great tips and support here!!

Becca - good for you paying off the loan, what a good budgeter! Love your photos of decorations and I'll PM you.

Kim
    - how is your neighbor in the Witness Protection behaving, lol.

I am so enjoying all the photos of trees, decorations, and dressed up kitties, lol.

Before I forget, I miss Dana, Josie, Leigh and of course Lenora. Has anyone heard from her?

Last week I stopped by the insurance guy's office and we talked for a minute about long-term health care insurance plans. He's getting me a quote for one mainly paying for home health care (not nursing home). He said he and his wife bought the nursing home policies ten years ago; they were three year policies. He said after they lapsed they didn't renew it and felt comfortable about that. WA State has something in place helping with home health care and I'm going to call the insurance commissioner's office and get the scoop. Might just be for folks on Medicaid.

I'm going to an Area Agency on Aging meeting this Wednesday, and looks like there's going to be training in fall prevention for seniors. Timely! I missed last month's meeting so not sure the details like when it's going to be happening, hopefully they'll have a pamphlet. If there's anything noteworthy I'll share it with this group.

Have a great week!

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka - thank you for sharing the photos of the wind and rain in your area. It's like our April/May weather. Seems like when our little apple trees are blooming in the spring, we always get hard freezes and windstorms as well with most of the petals blown off it seems. By some miracle we've had good apple crops. Fresh cherries sound yummy!

If all of this had happened in spring (your April/May is like our Oct/Nov), it would have been OK, but this is way too late in the season. Plus there's another system looming. He already figures he has lost one variety of cherries ... any more rain and a second variety could be lost too. And they are guessing that the looming system could dump anywhere from 20-100 mm on us ... they just aren't sure yet. We'll know how it is shaping up tomorrow night.

Needless to say, my husband is looking pretty stressed these days.

We're still hoping to get something of a crop of those yummy cherries off.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,506 Member
    Options
    Cathy and Kate: YouTube no longer supports my wii, if you have a newer Wii U you can watch your playlists, but I cannot. fooey. Darn that Google for "upgrading" the YouTube player to be so resource-intensive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QLRMX-gBPA
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Cathy and Kate: YouTube no longer supports my wii, if you have a newer Wii U you can watch your playlists, but I cannot. fooey. Darn that Google for "upgrading" the YouTube player to be so resource-intensive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QLRMX-gBPA

My WII is old so no using it for line dancing but I have got Apple tv so can access YouTube on big tv, did look at some line dancing vids, must have another look. Need to learn some basic dances, when we are in Benidorm there are a couple of groups who do line dancing on the boardwalk at the beach.

Kate UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,594 Member
    Options
    Popp