WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Thank you Katla.

Sleep interrupted last night by neighbor's snow removal company coming at 2:00. Another neighbor added to the mix by yelling at them. I did inform the neighbor. She lives out of state and is still trying to decide what to do with the property. I also told her her company failed to address their icy sidewalks. I said it would be like us deciding to clear our snow at 2:00 in the morning with a loud snow blower.

I hope I can get back to my sleep routine tonight. We are not expecting snow, so it should be better.

:heart: Margaret

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tere: So good to hear from you! Belated Happy New Year!! Good luck with your hair. I believe you will be every bit as beautiful as ever, maybe even more so. :star:

RV Rita: Love the photo. What is the thing on top of the white column? It resembles an aircraft, I think. :huh:

We have a critter sitter lined up to care for our dog in our home when we go on our trip to see the kids. She's a lovely woman and I think it is a very good thing for our dog to be able to stay at home rather than be confined in a cage at the vet's. I called the veterinary office today to let them know she'd be taking care of him. If there is any medical issue she has the authority to take him in to them. They'll contact us for any possible payments. I feel like there is a big load off of my shoulders because that is done.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." CS Lewis

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Short women- AT 5'8, I can attest to the fact that losing weight at my size is not easy! The one benefit I think I have at 5'8 is that the weight is distributed evenly. But I think that has more to do with my body type, than my height. For that reason, it was easy to ignore the fact that I was gaining, until the rolls began showing up at about 180 pounds. By that time, I was 40 and knee deep in working full time, involvement in my own kids school activities, girl scouts, volunteering. I had no time for me. Now that I have time for me, my energy and physical abilities are compromised. Time to get tough and muscle through.

I guess what we mean by it's "easier" when you are taller, is that you get to eat more calories. Not that much more, but even 150 more a day for maintenance seems like a lot when your calculated maintenance at your goal weight is not even 1300. If you are "taller," you "get" to be a little heavier at goal, so you have a higher calorie allowance.

Losing weight and maintaining that weight loss is hard, no matter how tall or young you are. Or even how active, really. More active = hungrier.

As a short person, I can attest that short people just generally like to complain about being short, because it is a pita most of the time! :lol:

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    Katla - I am so glad you found a dog-sitter. I think it's important for our pupsters to be in familiar surroundings, especially if they aren't used to be boarded a lot.

Tere - this is haircut time it seems, lol. I bet your haircut will be wonderful! I checked out the "Universal Standard" clothing - very nice! If I was still working I'd consider taking them up on their wardrobe building deal. Nice to have tops that fit those of us who are long-waisted. And that's such good news that you lost the weight you gained in the hospital. Let us know how the Vicks salve works!

Becca - don't stay away long! We miss you already!

Beth - glad you didn't put your blankets away - hope your cold is a mild one.

Lenora
    - every day, you are getting better and better! I admire your cleanout project - good job! And I'll miss our KMart pharmacy as well...they had good prices and never had big lines like at Walmart and Walgreens and Riteaid. Sigh.

Heather - that's so neat about your DS's girlfriend, she sounds like a doll! You know we want to see pictures of the patchwork cushions and tea bowls ;-)

My haircut went well. By the time Kennedy got done trimming the frizzy broken ends, it ended up much like Janetr's! But that's great. A real wash n wear style. She is a doll and on Fridays gives haircuts to kids for $5. Our community is on the poor side and lots of folks can't afford the prices even at the chain salons for their kids. She went to beauty school while still in high school and now has her hair salon helping to pay her way through college. She's on her way to a Business Management degree. A real go-getter.

Get ready for the weekend, ladies!

Lanette
    Misty SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Tere: So good to hear from you! Belated Happy New Year!! Good luck with your hair. I believe you will be every bit as beautiful as ever, maybe even more so. :star:

RV Rita: Love the photo. What is the thing on top of the white column?

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." CS Lewis

It is a plane. It spins with the wind as a wind sock should. It’s on a private airfield and is a real plane.

RV Rita
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well our snow came and it has kicked our butt. Right now we have about 5 inches and a wind chill. It's supposed to be clear around 9 but it started early this morning. I had my appointment this afternoon so Charlie went out and cleaned the car off. But before the snow we had freezing rain, so my, the passenger, door was frozen shut. So he had a real hard time getting that open for me. My B/P was a good decent level in her office but I had taken all of my medicines plus the extra medicine I take for over 150. So she saw me at my best. But I took my B/P machine since it had all my readings in memory. I didn't take th cuff though. My purse was full enough with the machine. So she made some changes in my medicine I am taking instead of adding something new. I am to call her in 1 week to see how the changes work.

Am really getting the dry mouth with my Neurontin. I just wish my fingers felt better from taking the medicine. It isn't bad, not a pain level 8 anymore but I'm just getting tired of it.

My sister got her chemo perm also. She was so proud of it. It was really pretty. But it didn't last. She just thought it was because her husband has curly hair and both her kids had extremely curly hair. I won't burst her bubble that it was just from the chemo. My Dad had curly hair but he is the only one who has it.

I agree about the forum. It is far more than a place of us to come and get advice and assistance on weight loss. I don't know what I would do without the friends I have here. You are all sisters to me.

Joyce in snowy Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Long *kitten* day.. we were over at the Drs office for more than 2 hrs, gave my dad a couple of options, brought the paperwork to my SIL and my brother was throwing a hissy fit because I stopped at dinnertime and flew in like a tornado... oh well... working 7:30-1 tomorrow, and hoping my friends stop by this weekend sometime
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Karen Olivia is gorgeous <3<3

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,139 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the hair discussion. My Mom had curly hair and mine has always been straight. Now my hairdresser says the new hair that is growing in gray is growing in curly. :-)
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    oops... didn't mean to post yet... Has anyone else had their hair go from straight to curly?

Betsy in NW Washington

No, but I started going grey when I was in my early 30s, and those ones seem thicker/coarser and also want to do whatever they want to do. If I'm going to have hair standing on end or something, it'll be my grey ones.

Speaking of which, I was looking at my hair the other day and I figure it's getting close to dying time again. I do it about once every 6 months and the only reason I can get away with that is that I put in very blond streaks and highlights so as it grows out and my grey starts to show it looks similar to the blond streaks. But there does come a time when that doesn't work ... and that time is at hand.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.13min, 144mhr, 12.4amph. 1.4mi= 92c
    apple watch- 72c
    manual* TREADMILL walk/jog 40min, 149mhr, 130ahr, 2.71mi = 351c
    apple watch- 353c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.50min, 15amph, 138mhr, 1.4mi= 59c
    apple watch- 48c
    RIDE BIKE PUY 2 SUMN STA- 16.04min, 139mhr, 11.3amph, 3mi= 147c
    apple watch- 111c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.07min, 147mhr, 9.45min mi, .5mi= 67c
    apple watch- 57c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.53min, 10.35min mi, 146mhr, .4mi= 57c
    apple watch- 49c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 20.43min, 7.5amph, 148mhr, 2.6mi= 205c
    apple watch- 144c

total cal - 978
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I am doing so much better; now that all my medications (other than the Dilantin) is back to pre-hospital dosages. I have decided that I will move my Rxs to CVS - I use their mail order program, so I figured this would just be easier.

Today I started purging my computer area. OMGoodness ... what a mess! I have thrown away a kitchen trashbag full of just paper. Then I rehung all the pictures ... which sort of look like it is an 'art gallery' of sorts. My sister will probably have a stroke ... but, it is up there and staying. I think when I get finished, it will look a lot better.

Spent all afternoon trying to get my printer up and running. Had to reset it because I got a new router. My ITs had me working on my end by telling me what buttons to press. I am so tired and I am planning on having a cup of coffee and one of my protein bars, take my meds and go to bed soon.

Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Went to the deep water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Total Body Workout with Resistance Band DVD

I used to have good sized (to me) saddle bags and have for years. After going thru menopause, they don't seem to be as big. Yet, no matter what I do, there's flab on my tummy. Maybe the flab is making the saddle bags look smaller?

okie - thanks so much for your well wishes. I feel much much better today. Went to exercise class. Of course, Vince just said to me "how do you feel". Really, if I didn't feel well, does he think I'd go to exercise class? I came back and said to him "why don't we put the blowmolds away" He told me about how physically exhaused he is and has been for days. Maybe he does do more physical work than I do. Maybe he needs to work more on his endurance. I admit, I'm not as fast as I used to be, but my endurance is still there. Congrats on that weight loss

About haircuts - when Jess gets her hair cut and the last time Vince got his cut, they donate their hair to Locks for Love (that makes wigs for cancer patients). The hair has to be at least 10" long. Vince has gray hair and they really can't use gray hair for wigs...but they do sell the hair.

I feel so so bad that I didn't help Vince take ornaments off one of the trees yesterday, but I just couldn't do it.

Rye - wonder if Susan Dey's hair is gray now???? I very seldom get a headache except for sinus headaches. Glad to hear you're having fewer and fewer migraines. My hair is poker straight

Betsy - a friend of mine who went thru chemo had straight hair and then after her chemo it was curly

katla - we always have someone come watch the cats while we're gone. They are much more comfortable in their familiar surroundings

Margaret - I, too, love that we discuss everything and anything on this site, not just weight loss. You're so right, our everyday lives really affect our eating.

After exercise stopped at the Salvation Army. Bought a picture that I think Denise might like, the saying is one of the readings they had at their wedding. I just won't tell her where it came from. Then went to Aldi to get things to make this weekend. Having Rummikub here Tuesday so I need to make a dessert. Found some cut up mango. Love mango, don't love cutting it up. Even tho it expies in a few days, I know that I can freeze it.

tere - that policy of being able to return the clothes makes them being more expensive worth it.

My biggest problem eating seems to be during the day. I don't eat much during the day but then have a big dinner. I know, not the best thing to do. But on the positive, I usually have lots of veges.

Becca - take care. Hope all is well. Your wit and wisom will be missed. Come back real soon

Lanette - the one WalMart always had a long line for prescriptions. Then they opened the Neighborhood Store not far from us and they don't have nearly as long a line. Go figure....

Karen in VA - thank you for the Olivia fix. I'm feeling much better today, thanks for asking. Another good night's sleep and I should be fit as a fiddle

M - I don't think I could go that long between colorings. But I do color my roots every few months so I can usually go about a year before I need an actual color. By then I usually need a cut, too

Lenora - I use Aetna's mail order for my prescriptions and it IS much easier. I can put my prescriptions on
    automatic refill.

Fried up some chicken breast patties to have another day and then fried up the last two crabcakes from this batch that I'd made for christmas Eve. Next time I'll fry up the other batch. I didn't use nearly the amount of oil that Jess used, but I won't tell her.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    :heart: Past my getting ready for bed. I did take a nap today to make up for the 2:00 wake up. Sleep well friends...