Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Janetr - it blew our propane grill around a corner into our breezeway. If it had blown it down the stairs on the patio I would have thought someone was trying to break in. I guess I better see if there are wheel locks on it. This was a first in the 3 years the grill has been there.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,435 Member
    edited January 2018
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Lanette I also have naturally curly hair. Grrrr! Gel and leave in conditioner and oil are necessities when I’m going out among humans.

Okie

Okie
    - isn't it nice to have a built - in barometer? The answer to how humid is it = how frizzy is my hair? LOL. Sometimes I dream about having Machka's long glossy hair. :)

Lanette
    Frizzy hair SW WA State

Thank you! :)

But ...

Machka's long glossy hair is actually naturally wavy. The reason I wear it long was because I never could find a short style that worked. It has a mind of its own and just enough wave to be really annoying. When I was a teenager and into my early 20s, I'd spend an hour each morning with gels and mousse and all sorts trying to get it to something relatively normal.

Finally in my mid-20s I started to let it grow out and that's been the best thing. I just let it do what it wants to do now, and it is heavy enough that the result isn't too alarming. :grin:

However ...

The minute it gets humid or drizzly out, my hair rolls into ringlets and the slightly shorter stuff around my face curls right up like I've got a perm. I got caught in the rain coming home today, and "poof" I was all ringlets and curls.

I have to use bottles and bottles of conditioner to get it glossy like that and to be able to get a comb through it, and spray on conditioner/detangler is great! I just about panicked the other day when I ran out! Fortunately I was able to get some more the next day.

And in the last 6 months or so, it has developed an annoying habit of curling into my left eye if it is left to its own devices. I have to use hair spray to get it to go back off my face on that side. I'm not sure why it has started doing that ... I don't know what changed ... and I'm hoping one day it will resolve itself.

I do like my hair too ... but there are challenges with it. :)

BTW - my mother's hair is quite curly and she's had challenges with hers her whole life too!

Machka in Oz
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Machka I actually really enjoy walking stairs (real stairs NOT step stair machines. But I have 0 acces to stairs. Not many multistory buildings in my neck of the woods.

Lanette I raise my hand and wave it! I’d love naturally curly hair! Mine is straight and baby fine and what my mother called “dishwater brown”. My nieces with toddler hair had more body in their straight hair than I ever did. We tried everything permanent waves, body perms, mouse, hairspray, gels etc. even teasing and no matter what my hair looks like Susan Dey as Laurie Partridge. srhnkneyuujk.png

But! There is hope. I have a bit of gray now, I’d estimate less than 5% - just enough for ME to notice. And it gives my hair some interesting highlights and some BODY! Honestly, my hair at 52 yrs has never looked this good before. I wear it straight and long. (Hmm, yes, just like Laurie Partridge above but without the centered part) That may not be the best style to make the hair look it’s best, but it is best for my face.

Headaches I have a headache more than 50% of the time since adulthood. Until recently I thought that was just the norm. I just learned to live with it mostly. Most of my headaches are sinus and allergies related but unknown origin headache is also quite common for me. I soldier through headaches unless they are migraines which send me straight to the bed. Thankfully as I’ve aged my Migraine incidents are getting fewer and fewer.

Fast Mimicking Diet: I’m done! It wasn’t as bad as I’d feared but unlike accounts I had read, my hardest day was the last one. I was very hungry last night. Contemplating my food options today and I’m thinking a nice hot bowl of oatmeal with fresh lemon and ginger will hit the spot!

I do have to work today ( was scheduled off) because of B’s strep throat diagnosis but C (who was out sick Monday) could not cover today because he had nursing school registration today. I WAS able to horse trade with him so I got yesterday off. (So I’ll work 7 hours today but only got 4 off yesterday. Better than none, tho). Lanette I’m not aware of an employee manual. And actually I work under the umbrella of a large hospital (even though I don’t work in the hospital) organization- and they are pretty well versed in getting around the overtime/lunch break/benefits legalities (what little legal protections exist in Texas, anyhow) so I very much doubt there is one. In my experience the bigger the organization I’ve worked for, the more ways to avoid the state legal requirements and restrictions in place to protect low level workers the organization has.

Well, off to clean before work. And to that delicious oatmeal breakfast!

Cin Cin a tutti,

Rye
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 678 Member
    I'm enjoying the hair discussion. My Mom had curly hair and mine has always been straight. Now my hairdresser says the new hair that is growing in gray is growing in curly. :-)
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 678 Member
    oops... didn't mean to post yet... Has anyone else had their hair go from straight to curly?

Betsy in NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,040 Member
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    oops... didn't mean to post yet... Has anyone else had their hair go from straight to curly?

Betsy in NW Washington

nope. don't have frizzy hair either. :0)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,567 Member

Betsy in NW Washington

Betsy - mine has gone from curly to straight on the sides within the past decade. It's a mish-mash. Frizzy on top, wavy/curly in the back, straight on the sides. Add a couple cowlicks, lol.

Machka
    - when I was in college, I was able to grow it long enough that it had good body and some wave.

As I've gotten older, it's become coarser and sparser. Tho when I colored it, it did add body. But, it dried it out more.

I've had good luck with "Break Fix" by Matrix which doesn't glump it up too badly, then some kind of argan oil to give it a little shine. When I get it shorter (like in my profile photo here) I'll likely use some gel. I am not a fan of the blow-dryer unless I'm in a hurry and need to get it dried quickly.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,124 Member
    81824br5uyrfrsr.gif
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Betsy ~ I had a teacher friend who went through chemotherapy after breast cancer. She lost all of her very thick straight hair and it grew in as tight curls. :)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,968 Member
    I was going to say the same thing as Carol. Everyone that I know whose hair changed from straight to curly had chemo. One refers to hers as her $100,000 perm.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Katla ~ I agree that it all about CIvsCO. Cathy is a wonderful example of what that can do. I guess what bothers me is that the fat I have gained gets scrunched into what space is available. So, I have no waist and the idea of buying pants that aren't pull on is beyond me. Even the petite ones are about 8 inches longer than my legs. Ugh! LOL
  • HandiCrafter
    HandiCrafter Posts: 56 Member
    B)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Janetr - it blew our propane grill around a corner into our breezeway. If it had blown it down the stairs on the patio I would have thought someone was trying to break in. I guess I better see if there are wheel locks on it. This was a first in the 3 years the grill has been there.

Wow, it blew out small water trough around, also stuff on the patio. Glad its gone today. Good that the grill didn't blow into your house scare you :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476

Betsy in NW Washington

My oldest daughter did exactly that. She has very thick, heavy hair and wears it quite long. When she was younger, clear through high school, it was straight. She would even go get perms and had so much hair they could only perm like the top 2/3 or it cuz there would be no more room on her head to put the curlers. After she had her children (3) her hair got curly overnight it seems. She has now moved back to Denver, where we are from originally, but when she still lived here in Oklahoma where it is much more humid it was horrific for her to try to keep under control. It's not quite as horrible in Denver, but still VERY curly. The only explanation anyone can come up with is the hormonal change her body went through with the pregnancies. But I've certainly not known anyone else to do that.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Yes, the curly hair after chemo is very common, but usually goes away in time. The call it "chemo curl".

Janetr OKC
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 861 Member
    My mom had straight hair, which she permed. My dad had curly hair (I'm told!), it was always short and mostly under a hat. My hair has a wave. I wore it long for many years, but decided several years ago that it was just too much of a pain in the butt, so cut it short. It's so much nicer! It's easier to take care of, a bit of gel in the morning and I'm good to go. I used to put my hair in a braid for work and just found it easier to leave it that way. Felt like it wasn't finished, tho, when we went out. I needed out of the way for work, so the braid was good for that, but just seemed not enough when we were being social. And I didn't care for the way it looked if it was down, too fine to be under control. I'm much happier now, I've got a great stylist that I have given free rein to and she has done well!

The last few days have been kind of bumpy, I have had some bad evenings, not brushing my teeth right after dinner, so then snacking too much. I have been going to the gym, so that part is good, and have not been totally out of control, but not totally in control either. But today is a new day, so we will see how the rest of it plays out!
    M, those cherries sound absolutely fabulous! Sure miss our cherry tree.... :(
    Hope everyone has a great day/night!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island