JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,756 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a whole whiny post typed out and deleted it. I'm struggling with some pain right now. I'm having issues with my left SI joint being stuck, 3 lumbar spine disks being twisted in my back and a tilted/twisted pelvis. I started physical therapy last week for it and can hardly walk right now from the pain.

I am feeling a bit depressed but if I don't get on here and give myself goals, I will totally give up and I don't want to do that. Thank you for being here and helping me to not want to give up. You are all so important to me, and you don't even know it! :blush:

Just for Saturday:
    1. Make healthy food choices
    2. Drink 64 oz water
    3. Declutter as much as I can while sitting
    4. Rest, ice and heat. Don't overdo it.
    5. Early bedtime.
    6. Read something fictional just for pleasure.

I hope you find relief soon.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,208 Member
    Options
    JFT, Saturday
    1. log all food immediately after I eat it so I know how my day is going :/
    2. concentrate on water :/
    3. go to the gym :)
    4. april challenge -- 8 glasses of water :/
    5.May challenge -- get outside exercise for min of 15 minutes. I am going to try and go for a bike ride! :/
    6. June challenge - mindful eating, and report it on here what I did :/
    7. work on quilt -- I am almost finished sewing all the rows together! Can't wait to see how it looks :/
    8. get started on chemo hats - its been over a month since I gave her some . Need to get more mad :/ e
    9. get back on here - be accountable. :)

As you guys can see .... all sad faces except for exercise today. Hubby and I ran errands, so it was a fun day .... just that I ate more than I should. Not in my meals -- a McDonalds Egg McMuffin for lunch. and we grilled, but I had leftover taco meat. So for the meals, I was great. It was afterwards -- tonite after dinner. We went to the grocery store today for a few items ... and they had chocolate covered yogurt peanuts on sale. It was even a compulsive action that I bought these things -- not realizing they would get me started again. I think I ate half of the bag. And then I have to keep asking myself why, and why I didn't even do my own June Challenge. What is it going to take for me to stop this awful, out of control habit. I was hungry, and its like once I got started, my brain just shut off. So tonite I am so angry at myself. I looked up the calories (after I scarfed down almost half of the bag), and they are 240 calories for 1/4 cup!! You know, I think 1/4 cup is probably 5 peanuts.

SO tomorrow again will be a new day for me. It is my daughters 40th birthday, so she and I are going out in the morning. She signed up to do a half marathan. I did not sign up for the 5K, because I never know if my daughter will back out, but I plan to just walk while she runs if we go.

A year ago my primary doctor wanted to put me on some prescription meds to help me lose weight. I refused. When I got home, I looked up the pills, and they are for people who have compulsive eating disorder. I kept telling myself I do not have this problem..... but after tonite .... I know I do.

So I will just have to work harder, and get rid of those darn choc covered yogurt peanuts, and keep my alternative eating list where I can easily see it. And remember my own challenges. But today, I feel like such a complete failure again ---- but I am not going to give up!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @mytime6630 hugs, i know how frustrating. I “messed up” yesterday but because it was the morning and I then balanced out the rest of the day, in my mind I didn’t feel I’d completely failed. But I do relate to that feel of anger with oneself!

I’m wondering if it would be helpful for us to track and record each day of the June challenge - kind of like a scorecard, so we can see the overall picture. I know @slittlemeister did that with the May challenge. I feel like it’s a battle for me so maybe it would kick in more if I can see it like Faebert 2 Mindless/emotional eating 1.

I know it sort of goes against the concept of ‘just for one day’ but if you and/others think it’s helpful maybe we should do it so the challenge is more measurable and maybe we feel even more motivated? We may also notice that although we didn’t ‘win‘ every day, we did well more days than not...

What do people think? X
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB hugs. Whine away - injuries are horrible. Hope you found a good book to get lost in x
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,208 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    @mytime6630 hugs, i know how frustrating. I “messed up” yesterday but because it was the morning and I then balanced out the rest of the day, in my mind I didn’t feel I’d completely failed. But I do relate to that feel of anger with oneself!

I’m wondering if it would be helpful for us to track and record each day of the June challenge - kind of like a scorecard, so we can see the overall picture. I know @slittlemeister did that with the May challenge. I feel like it’s a battle for me so maybe it would kick in more if I can see it like Faebert 2 Mindless/emotional eating 1.

I know it sort of goes against the concept of ‘just for one day’ but if you and/others think it’s helpful maybe we should do it so the challenge is more measurable and maybe we feel even more motivated? We may also notice that although we didn’t ‘win‘ every day, we did well more days than not...

What do people think? X

Tonite I am reading a book I had on my Kindle about Binge eating. I am going to start keeping a "written" journal in addition to MFP. They are telling me to record not only what I eat, but the time and place that I eat, and to put a ** for any food that was eaten out of control, and to add comments. So I think I may try that. I get so frustrated with myself, and keep telling myself what is wrong with me that I seem unable to get this under control. I will do so good for a few days, and then I give in. It is something I need to work much harder at. Here I am so good at exercise, but not so much the uncontrollable, impulse eating. It is frustrating.
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    JFT Saturday
    1. Water :)
    2. Meditation :)
    3. Dismantle studio if necessary :):( didn't find my part so I went to a fabric store while I was in town doing the pick up. I suppose that will mean I will now locate it. :# The great part is I did manage to pack up more than 50 craft books/magazines to sell at the guild sale in the fall. :D
    4. P/U Miss C for sleepover :)
    5. Make Turkey soup :)
    6. Brush and floss :)
    7. Bed by 10:30 :)
    JFT Sunday
    1. Water
    2. Meditation
    3. Drop Miss C back at home
    4. Work
    5. Brush and Floss
    6. Bed by 10:30
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB @mytime6630 I wish I had more wise words for you in addition to what's been said but I don't so I'll just offer my support and a receptive "ear" any time you need one.

JFT Saturday Wrap Up:

1) Log all food, staying in the green for calories :smiley:
    2) Drink 10 glasses of water :neutral: I can hit 8, but not 10, dangit!
    3) Prepare bean soup :neutral: soaked the beans and did the prep but didn't actually fix the soup
    4) Wash a load of laundry :smiley:
    5) Load and run dishwasher :smiley:

Also I scrubbed the bathroom and washed up the rest of the dishes! My place looks like a human being lives here again.

JFT Sunday

1) Log all food, staying in the green for calories
    2) Drink 10 glasses of water: I WILL do this today. I've been waking up incredibly thirsty, so I know I need to drink more.
    3) Wash another load of laundry
    4) Prepare bean soup
    5) Empty dishwasher
    6) Yoga routine
    7) Physical therapy morning and evening
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,078 Member
    Options
    Not really committed to this the last few days..
    Had one off day which turned into a few off days.

Today I’m in a pretty bad mood, but that’s no excuse is it!

So JFT:
    Be in the green
    Exercise
    8 glasses of water
    Try relax and stay calm.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Just for Saturday:
    1. Make healthy food choices :)
    2. Drink 64 oz water :/
    3. Declutter as much as I can while sitting :)Decluttered the cedar chest in our BR which opened up room to declutter half of our closet. Found I have 4 different Laptop bags which were given to us from attending different events at Epic in Verona, WI. I only need one, so cleaned them out and will give them to the kids if they need one or put in donate box. These were all things I could do seated on edge of bed.
    4. Rest, ice and heat. Don't overdo it. :)Was not how I wanted to spend day, but did it anyway.
    5. Early bedtime. :/Started watching a Netflex show and didn't realize how late it got!
    7. Read something fictional just for pleasure. :)

Getting around a bit better today, so I'm happy about that. I feel bad about being so depressed yesterday. I actually spent about an hour just crying. Maybe I needed a good cleansing cry...I don't know. I had a quarterly Biometric screening done at work on Wednesday and my glucose was good, my cholestrol was good, but my HDL (good cholesterol) was low, putting me at moderate risk for heart disease. My BMI was up, not obese but overweight and my stomach circumference was high, also putting me at risk for heart disease. Well, I was feeling pretty good about it because I know all I have to do to get those numbers better is be more active, and I had an appointment set up for physical therapy later that day to begin working on my hip issues and then I'll be able to take more walks and get out and enjoy the summer once those issues are fixed. It was pretty upsetting to find out how many issues I had, because I thought it was a matter of just getting my SI joint 'unstuck' and I'd be on my merry way. I realize now that I was being naive and had blinders on. I want that "easy fix" once again. Yesterday I felt depressed because it seems I am moving in circles and never getting anywhere except back where I started. Maybe it was good that I just let myself feel what I was feeling so I could get up and move on today. At least we were out of ice cream so I didn't drown my sorrows in a bucket of Tin Roof Sundae! :smirk:

Today, I'm still sore, but I can walk without feeling as if a knitting needle is stabbing me in the tailbone with every step. So that's pretty awesome. I'm moving slow because I don't want to go backward. I'm going to attempt to declutter the bathroom today. I find when I'm feeling down, decluttering helps me feel better mentally.

I have my next therapy appointment tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous. But we do what we HAVE to, so we can do what we WANT to.

Today is a new day. I'm going to try to focus on the fact that my glucose is good and I am NOT prediabetic. That is a win! I'm also happy my cholesterol was good. So, watching my eating is helping with both of those. I am being proactive trying to fix what prevents me from being more active. It's all I can do right now, and it's a positive step. If I spend a few days going backwards to ultimately move forward forever, then that's what I need to do. The pain really brought me down mentally though...I was not prepared for that. But now I will be prepared and have a plan for dealing with it.

Thank you for letting me ramble. I needed to put this is writing because it helps reinforce it in my brain as I think and type.

Right now, I'm watching the Netflix Documentary called "The Magic Pill". So, tomorrow I could have totally different goals! LOL! I'm real good at jumping on the band wagon for fad diets but then hop back off just as quick. I really want to do this by following @cschmitz110515 's plan of CICO, not doing anything that is not sustainable. She has had tremendous success and I really get inspired by what she has achieved in a sensible way!

So, Just for Sunday:
    1. Make sensible choices and log every bite.
    2. Stay in the green
    3. Eight 8oz glasses of water
    4. Add whole foods to the grocery list for this week. (Think outer aisles in store)
    5. Declutter bathroom (if I can without it hurting my back)
    6. Spend time to care for myself - body, mind and spirit. Ideas: Diffuse some lavendar oil, paint my nails, listen to podcasts, find a quiet spot and read, write in my gratitude journal, take a bubble bath....
    7. Do laundry for week
    8. Pack lunch bag for tomorrow
    9. Early to bed. Unplug. Read my inspirational books and write in gratitude journal. Read novel until sleepy eyes.

Much love to you all.
    Tracie
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    JFT (Sunday)

1. Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke
    2. Stay "in the green" with my calories
    3. Stay "in the green with my sodium
    4. Mow the lawn
    5. Groceries
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    toaljasa wrote: »
    Well, I had a whole whiny post typed out and deleted it. I'm struggling with some pain right now. I'm having issues with my left SI joint being stuck, 3 lumbar spine disks being twisted in my back and a tilted/twisted pelvis. I started physical therapy last week for it and can hardly walk right now from the pain.

I am feeling a bit depressed but if I don't get on here and give myself goals, I will totally give up and I don't want to do that. Thank you for being here and helping me to not want to give up. You are all so important to me, and you don't even know it! :blush:

Just for Saturday:
    2. Drink 64 oz water
    5. Early bedtime.

Okay, I am going to whine for you. Chronic pain can be so wearying on the body, mind, and soul. It can make one discouraged. It can make a person feel old. And cranky. And to give in to emotional eating because you have nothing else to do. (How am I doing? Am I whiny enough for you? LOL I am only writing my thoughts when I am in pain) Now for some thankfulness. You have money/insurance to get physical therapy. Someone taught you to read so you can delve into a book to distract you. You aren't in pain while having to work in a rice paddy field, or a sweat shop or to stand in a hot kitchen. You have pain reliever that can take the edge off of your horrible aches. You have electricity/or freezer for heat/ice packs. And you have friends who are here to listen and whine with you and even have a drink with you, lol!!! But I also want to encourage you to dig in and refuse to lose ground. To be resolved to not eat emotionally. After you swallow the food, it doesn't help any longer. Light a scented candle. put on some soothing music. Slather on some creamy lotion. Sip a hot cup of herbal tea. Ask a grandchild to rub your feet with that lotion. Be good to yourself. And know that as soon as I click reply I am praying for you.

Lastly, a little humor to make your heart cheerful, which is the best medicine, according to Proverbs :)
    1ylwrzpnve3k.png

Thank you. Yes I was extremely discouraged. It was the day of Tracie's Pity Party, nobody else invited. Just terrible. Couldn't pull myself out of it. But all the things you listed about being thankful for are things I thank God for on an almost daily basis and for some reason I wasn't feeling it yesterday. Thank you for bringing those things to the forefront. I'm blessed. Thank you for reminding me! (((HUGS))) :heart:

I love the meme! That definitely would have perked me up! LOL! :lol:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @toaljasa , @mytime6630 , @Snowflake1968, @Faebert, @nickssweetheart and anyone I missed.... Thank you for your kind words. :heart:
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    This is from a young woman with whom I got to know during our son's wedding weekend. A thought-provoking post.

• Michaela_LaGata
    Michaela_LaGata Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Just for Saturday:
    2. Drink 64 oz water
    5. Early bedtime.

Ortho joint nerve pain is terrible. I have a history of spine disk hip IT sciatic nerve damage and deterioration...I could go on. I am learning therapy exercises including targeted gentle yoga but I still want to scream. Mindfulness helps me. Live fierce.
    Hang in there!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options

Just for Saturday:
    2. Drink 64 oz water
    5. Early bedtime.

Ortho joint nerve pain is terrible. I have a history of spine disk hip IT sciatic nerve damage and deterioration...I could go on. I am learning therapy exercises including targeted gentle yoga but I still want to scream. Mindfulness helps me. Live fierce.
    Hang in there!

Thank you. "Live Fierce". I love those words. I'm so sorry that you have a history of this, and I am glad you are learning ways to help. It certainly has opened my eyes to the back pain my husband lives with daily. I never knew how horribly debilitating it can be. Thank you for sharing. (((HUGS)))
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,756 Member
    Options
    JFT - Saturday June 9
    2L of water - Yes
    Stay in Green - Yes
    Outside 15 minutes - Yes
    June challenge - Yes
    Plank Challenge - Yes 32.41
    Stretch challenge - Yes
    Swim lesson - Yes
    Write in Journal - Yes
    Walk? - no

JFT - Sunday June 10
    2L of water
    stay in Green
    Outside 15 minutes
    June challenge
    Plank Challenge
    Stretch challenge
    Write in Journal
    Walk?

I overslept today and am way behind. I’ll catch up later on with all the posts.