JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Love the pictures! You looked happy then, and you look happy now! Awesome! Thanks for sharing. :heart:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Hello my JFT Peeps!

I just finished a work-at-home day! I had not realized how much I missed being able to do that once a week in my old job! It was one of the perks I was hesitant to give up (along with all my vacation I had accrued). Anyway, I've been at my new employer for six months now, so I qualified and was approved to work from home one day a week. It was awesome. Get up, sit at dining room table and work while sipping coffee in my robe or sweats with the patio door open and a view of the backyard! Oooooh, how I missed it! It really was a mood changer for me.

I'm not doing terrific with my "diet" right now, but I am doing other things to get myself mentally back in the game, and dig myself out of the pity pot I seem to have fallen into.

I had physical therapy on Monday. I was scared to go because of the pain I was in for four days after the first one. However, I found out the first one was the one where they really had to beat me up to fix me and there shouldn't be anymore like that. YEA! I'm actually walking much better with very minimal pain today, so I'm happy about that. I don't think I could take a walk around the block yet, but if I can even take a walk to the Stop sign at the corner and back, well that would be an improvement, right?

I have to stop beating myself up. I've allowed myself to get to this dark place where I just do not like myself anymore. But someone on here (either @toaljasa or @Faebert I think) often reminds us to stop being so mean and negative toward ourselves and that's what I need to do. I need to stop hating who I see in the mirror. I need to start liking the person I am inside and the rest will follow. So, this week I've been focused more on reading and watching Netflix documentaries or you tube videos based on self-esteem. I really don't even know how I got to this place, but now that I know I'm here, it's time to do something about it. And not just SAY I'm going to do something about it....really DO something about it!

So, even though the day is nearly over, Just for Monday:
    1. Stay in the green. Remember CICO! :smile: So far, so good!
    2. DRINK 8+ glasses of water :smile: So far, so good!
    3. Do hip and pelvic exercises for Phys Therapy
    4. Lymphedema massage tonight and try to wear new nighttime garment (ugh....it's like an oversized gigantic oven mitt that covers my entire arm, from the tips of my fingers up to my neck It's so tight, it takes 2 of us to get it on my arm. Can we all say HOT FLASHES?)
    5. No ice cream tonight. Find a healthy substitute.
    6. Pack tomorrow's lunch bag
    7. Pick out and iron tomorrow's outfit
    8. Set alarm for reasonable time and get up without hitting snooze tomorrow
    9. Read more from the inspirational books tonight
    10. Find a few minutes to go downstairs to my sewing room and work on little Casey's quilt. Poor baby is going to be a high school graduate by the time I finish it!!! (I'm struggling with this, to be honest. I brought it to my mom's a few weeks ago so she could show me how to finish it properly, and her reaction was so negative toward it that I now feel like I did a horrible job and I just want to tear it up and start over. It really hurt my feelings. I'm new at quilting so there is no way mine would be as perfect as something she would make. I know this. But it still made me feel horrible and embarrassed about what I had sewn so far. Sorry @Bex953172 I haven't given up. I'm just taking another look at what I can do to make it better!)
    11. Unplug at 9:00 pm / read and gratitude journal / lights out at 10:30 pm

Have a great evening everyone!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,198 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    10. Find a few minutes to go downstairs to my sewing room and work on little Casey's quilt. Poor baby is going to be a high school graduate by the time I finish it!!! (I'm struggling with this, to be honest. I brought it to my mom's a few weeks ago so she could show me how to finish it properly, and her reaction was so negative toward it that I now feel like I did a horrible job and I just want to tear it up and start over. It really hurt my feelings. I'm new at quilting so there is no way mine would be as perfect as something she would make. I know this. But it still made me feel horrible and embarrassed about what I had sewn so far. Sorry @Bex953172 I haven't given up. I'm just taking another look at what I can do to make it better!)

I was so sad to read this Tracy!!! I am so sorry if your mom was negative. EVERY quilt is beautiful, and will be treasured so so much to whoever you gift it to. I KNOW @Bex is going to love it!!
    Here's a story for you .... I made my first quilt for my daughter when she graduated from high school, and also made one for my son when he graduated from high school. That was 22 and 20 years ago. I told you my son is getting a divorce, so he is absolutely starting all over with everything.
    Since that time, I have made he and his wife so many quilts - beautiful quilts. But do you know the one thing my son brought with him to his house..... its the quilt I made 20 years ago. That is the quilt he treasured more than anything else. I look at it now and I see so many mistakes. Nothing matches up - the colors don't match, even the seams are coming apart. But he loved it. It did not matter to him what it looked like - what mattered was the time and love that was put into that quilt.
    SO please, do not let your mother take away from the joy of sewing. If you saw my early quilts you would see what I mean. I have been quilting now for almost 25 years, so don't ever compare yours to anyone else.

I would love to see it ..... I know it is beautiful!!!! So please, do not do anything different. If you need help with how to finish it, please send me a private email- and I will send you my personal email address, and I will be more than happy in giving you suggestions as to how to finish it off.!

And also .... so happy you are doing better. I work out of my home .. there is nothing better. It is nice for you to get that break - you need that, especially with all that you have going on.
  • mytime6630
    Options
    Wed, June 13
    1. log all food :) But somehow again I am having SO much trouble getting on this site again. My computer upgraded again, hope it didn't screw something up!
    2. april challenge - 15 minute walk outside :) Walked down to a neighbor to see her vacation pictures.
    3. may challenge - 8+ cups water :) I am up to 6 glasses today, so my plan is to drink 4 more glasses tonite.
    4. june challenge - mindful eating :) I am doing SO much better with this! I think just writing stuff down in a journal is helping me a lot.
    5. go for walk with a friend in the morning :) This was with a hiking group - and we walked 6.5 miles!! IN this heat!! We started at 9am, but didn't get back until almost noon. So all afternoon I have had a nauseaus stomach, which I think was caused by overheating.
    6. sew up 4 more chemo hats. (I have 8 cut out already) :) 4 hats sewn last nite, and hope to get 4 more sewn tonite.
    7. organize file cabinets :/ Can you tell this is something I don't even know where to begin!
    8. get back on here - be accountable :)

JFT, Thurs
    1. log all food
    2. april challenge =8+ cups of water
    3. may challenge - short 15 minute walk outside. Yes, it is hot, but after the sun goes down it is not too bad.
    4. june challenge - mindful eating
    5. work on finishing up pc boards
    6. go to the gym. Hubby tells me I need to take a rest day, so I'll see how I feel in the morning.
    7. start organizing file cabinets
    8. get back on here - be accountable.
  • mytime6630
    edited June 2018
    Options
    June Challenge:
    If you’re feeling the slightest bit emotional and want to eat—or it’s even time to eat—force yourself to either do something else or to eat something healthy and wholesome. And report it on here. Not only will it help us, but it also will give others ideas to stop that urge.

June 1 : Today, again, in a stressful situation - I instantly grabbed a klondike bar.But ... I wasn't even hungry .. just stressed. So I threw the klondike bar down the garbage disposal ... gulped some water ... had some ice tea. :)

June 2 - did OK,, but nothing spectacular. Just a busy day ..... but foodwise- I think I was OK :)

June 3 - Sunday - had some Cinnamon swirl french toast ... but proud of myself. I had a very small piece ... then gave the rest away! I am drinking my water! :)

June 4 - monday - I was just full of emotions worrying about things. So I again gulped 2 large glasses of water. Now, I don't have any of those cravings. :)

June 5-9 - did terrible. On June 9, ended up eating almost a entire bag of chocolate covered cashews. :/I think this was my wake-up call. :/:/

June 10 - started keeping a written journal of what I eat, what time I eat, and my mood. I am putting a ** next to any foods that were unplanned, and I am suppose to put a ** next to a binge. Somehow.... this has been helping me tremendously - just thinking before I grab something! :)

June 11- I was craving something so bad again (so much sugar still in my system), but remembered the frozen grapes. Had a cup of them, and drink water. :)

June 12 - wanted ice cream --- opted for something cold instead like cantalope -- all controlled eating :)

June 13 - today I had a upset stomach from being out in the heat so long, so no problem tonite :)
  • mytime6630
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »

Joan's June challenge - I am glad I read that. Not long after reading it I put it to good use. Yesterday - Monday - I wanted a something. I could not tell you what but the peanut M&Ms on JB's desk were calling. I think I just wanted a distraction for a minute. I thought about if I was hungry and went and filled up my water instead.

Great job!! I love reading how others are successful in this! Keep it up!

@Faebert -- I never thought of frozen drinks as options for ice cream! I think when it is hot I tend to want cold stuff ... thanks for the suggestions!

@slittlemeister --- great numbers on the BMI!!!
  • mytime6630
    Options

I'm so sorry for my "language". It was just a horrendous day!

Hope you have a nice evening with DH, and tomorrow will be a better day. Hugs!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »

I was so sad to read this Tracy!!! I am so sorry if your mom was negative. EVERY quilt is beautiful, and will be treasured so so much to whoever you gift it to. I KNOW @Bex is going to love it!!
    Here's a story for you .... I made my first quilt for my daughter when she graduated from high school, and also made one for my son when he graduated from high school. That was 22 and 20 years ago. I told you my son is getting a divorce, so he is absolutely starting all over with everything.
    Since that time, I have made he and his wife so many quilts - beautiful quilts. But do you know the one thing my son brought with him to his house..... its the quilt I made 20 years ago. That is the quilt he treasured more than anything else. I look at it now and I see so many mistakes. Nothing matches up - the colors don't match, even the seams are coming apart. But he loved it. It did not matter to him what it looked like - what mattered was the time and love that was put into that quilt.
    SO please, so not let your mother take away from the joy of sewing. If you saw my early quilts you would see what I mean. I have been quilting now for almost 25 years, so don't ever compare yours or anyone else.

I would love to see it ..... I know it is beautiful!!!! So please, do not do anything different. If you need help with how to finish it, please send me a private email- and I will send you my personal email address, and I will be more than happy in giving you suggestions as to how to finish it off.!

And also .... so happy you are doing better. I work out of my home .. there is nothing better. It is nice for you to get that break - you need that, especially with all that you have going on.

Thank you for such kind words, Joan! I've been so sad about this for two weeks now. Felt so defeated. My relationship with my mother is, well..."complicated". I love your story about your son's quilt! That really touches my heart. I heard similar words tonight from a woman at the fabric store I ran to. I told her what I was making and what I was looking for, and I told her what I had planned to use but wasn't going to anymore because my mom said I shouldn't. This lady looked at me and said "Honey, there is absolutely NOTHING that you cannot use in a quilt. that is the beauty of quilts. And the person you make this quilt for will absolutely love it because they know you made it with your own two hands just specially for them." I almost got tears in my eyes. I thanked her, and then I came home and read your comment here. Bex has already assured me that she will love it and she doesn't care if it isn't perfect. My mom is just so good at what she does that I never measure up, and trust me...that feeling does not go unnoticed! Thank you again. I'm going to finish this one just like you said. And I will message you when I have questions! I wish I could give you a hug right now...instead I'm sending one through cyber space. Can you feel it? xoxox
    Tracie
  • mytime6630
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 Happy Anniversary!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    June Challenge:
    If you’re feeling the slightest bit emotional and want to eat—or it’s even time to eat—force yourself to either do something else or to eat something healthy and wholesome. And report it on here. Not only will it help us, but it also will give others ideas to stop that urge.

6/11 - Wanted ice cream but told myself I wouldn't eat it. My husband came out with a bowl already dished up and instead of telling him no, I ate it. :frowning:
    6/12 - Wanted ice cream at 8:00. I ended up grabbing granola bars and eating 3 of them before I gave in and had the ice cream. Talk about sabotaging myself! So mad at myself. :confounded:
    6/13 - Wanted to grab something to munch on this afternoon and was going to mindlessly grab a granola bar. Looked at the amount of sugar in a bar, put it back and grabbed an apple. :smiley:
    6/13 p.m. Currently fighting the craving for ice cream. It's not going to win this time. I am slicing a few fresh strawberries (2 oz) and adding FF Cottage Cheese instead and then going to bed.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Hello my JFT Peeps!

I AM going to love it!
    I don’t make quilts, nor do i own one, my own family and in laws have hardly bought anything this time round! Funny how first baby everyone makes a massive fuss.

Anyway
    I didn’t start crocheting until Marley, I really wanted to make her something
    So I made a blanket out of granny squares I crocheted, I didn’t block them so they aren’t all even, the seams are cr*p the colours don’t exactly go and even now I’ve not sewn in the ends and the dogs had a little chew on it..

The only good bit is how I got the name on it! Proud of that bit.
    But I look at it, and I know it’s a bit naff but I love it, it’s unique, it took time and effort, and that’s what I value, that I put so much time into something!

ge5t7stcgbbg.jpeg

And look :)

Bex, I love it! I think it is beautiful! I could never crochet anything, and especially the name! That is awesome! And she looks just adorable lying there with it! I'm so glad you understand. I have been inside my own head feeling like I couldn't do it perfect and it wouldn't be good enough if it wasn't perfect. But I know that YOU know it is being made with love! Thank you, to both you and Joan, for helping me work that out in my head. I can't tell you how much that has been bothering me! (((HUGS)))
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    So many interesting posts...

@PackerFanInGB It's so true! There's something healing about water to me. Being in it, being in its presence, it doesn't matter. It's positively soul-restoring.

@Snowflake1968 Congratulations! And nice pics! Both of them!!

@mytime6630 Seriously, you are so inspirational to me. I'm further out of shape than many of you by a lot, I think, but I hope in a year or two to be able to do things like walk 6 miles. Just reading what some of you all do motivates me to do better.

@HGSmith0920 Yikes. I hope tomorrow is better.

@everyone So many talented people. My craft has always been cake decorating, which is not greatly aligned with my current health goals. ;) I've always wanted to learn to knit though...hmm...maybe something to explore!
  • mytime6630
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »

ge5t7stcgbbg.jpeg

And look :)

This is beautiful Bex!!!! And your little girl looks so precious under it!! Wish I could come and give her a big hug! I love the blanket!! I tried crocheting and knitting ---- no luck with either one!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    And now the grim news:

Just For Today, Wednesday Wrap Up

1) Log all food, keeping in the green. :smile: Time to refocus on protein, as cals are looking good this week.
    2) Drink 8 glasses of water. :anguished: Drank TWO diet sodas today and almost no water.
    3) Physical therapy appointment + evening PT :smile:
    4) Quick produce shopping :smile: Nabbed my bell peppers, now I'm going to make gazpacho!
    5) Yoga routine :neutral:
    6) Kitchen closed and brush teeth by 9 pm :anguished: Not even close. I think in future I need to make this 10 or 10:30 pm. I didn't even feel like dinner tonight until after 8 pm. It was too hot today.

Just For Tomorrow, Thursday

1) Log all food, keeping calories green.
    2) Hit protein goal.
    3) Drink 8 glasses of water
    4) Physical therapy morning and evening
    5) Yoga routine
    6) Only eat ONE HELPING of the Ben and Jerry's in my grocery order
    7) Kitchen closed and brush teeth by 10 pm
    8) Do one thing (non food related) for no other reason than it makes me happy
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! You are Strong. You are beautifully and uniquely made. There will never be another you.
    Peace and joy.
    dh5yw03dghfa.png
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Hmm so after being so impressed with myself and my good body fat percentages I decided to celebrate by... Having a burger and ice cream :#

Might be a while before I manage to get it down to 26% at that rate (!)

Oh well. Back in the game!

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Stick to food plan :/
    - Go to gym :smile:
    - French podcast, article, Duolingo, book :/ 2/4
    - Don't forget doctor!! :smile:
    - Career planning :smiley:

June 10: "I'm on holiday" = chocolate :s
    June 11: Stress = gin, no food :neutral:
    June 12: No emotional eating :smile:
    June 13: Ended up eating at pub as was in a 'celebratory' mood. And then had ice cream as was in a 'I'll do what I want' mood. I had thought that most of my emotional eating was about bad moods but actually I think lots is probably about good moods too. Need to find alternative ways to celebrate!

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - No alcohol
    - Do exercise DVD
    - 3 bottles water

- French podcast, article, Duolingo, book
    - 30 mins lunch break (not counting DVD)
    - Focus on key priorities and be productive
    - Look at emails at intervals only
    - Listen to music to boost mood