JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    Is it too late for me to join in in this thread? I love the idea of setting goals JFT. I have been back on track with counting calories and moving more for about three weeks now. The past couple of days I have gone overboard, but I am off to a good start for today. I went on a 5.5 mile walk!
    I work from 7 pm to 7 am. So, my "days" can be pretty long, and that can present a challenge for food tracking and weight loss.
    My goals for today are to drink at least two bottles of water (24 oz each) while I'm at work and to not snack on extra items while working.
    -Monica

I used to work 12's, days and nights they sure can be long "days". I ate my way through way too many of them, my job was to answer the phone and schedule staff so it was a sit down job which didn't help a lot. I empathize with you. It looks like you are motivated though and that's the first step!
  • Snowflake1968
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    I have been gone since Monday .... and in that time.... there were 135 posts!!! Wow - you guys are all amazing! I still have to go back through and catch up on what I have missed!

I see many of you are now reading the Beck Diet Solution --- so I dug my book back out! I kinda skipped ahead since I had already read it a couple times, but now I am recording my food the way she suggests. I started this last week before we left to go and see our son, and for me, writing it down in a notebook is helping me so much more than just logging it on the computer. She tells us to write it down, and then put checkmarks when we follow our plan, cross out what we substituted for, or put a circle around something unplanned. So today, I have just 2 circled items, but I am still within my calories .... so a good day for me.

So my plan for this months challenge is to write down in my notebook what I plan to eat (I usually do this the nite before... and that is helping me).

And .... here should be my drum roll .... my weight this morning was 189.2 pounds! You guys that have been with me know how long I have been trying to get out of the 190s! Like all year!!! LOL!!! So I am officially just 11 pounds before I can be out of the "overweight" charts.

Since I didn't get a chance to post my goals last nite, I'll just post them tonite. I usually post mine in the evenings, because my days are so crazy busy, the evenings work best for me.

JFT, Saturday, July 7
    1. go to the gym
    2. mow the grass, and weed at least 4 of my 9 flower beds
    3. try and take my bike out --- it is suppose to be a beautiful day out
    4. work on PC boards
    5. work on business tax - quarterly taxes are due
    6. read 1 more chapter in the Beck Diet Solution
    7. do April Challenge - 8+ cups water
    8. do May challenge - get outside for 15 minutes (this should be easy, given my goals)
    9. Do June Challenge - mindful eating
    10. pin my quilt so I can start quilting it
    11. get back on here - be accountable

Challenges:
    July 1: Water :) ; Walk :/ (storming outside!); mindful eating :) ; planning :) ---- my planning for the next 3 days will be to just eat as healthy as I can! We are traveling tomorrow to see our son in Michigan - a 8 hr car ride. We tend to stop at McDonalds a lot, so I know I can find things low calorie. My problem will be the rest of the 3 days we are there. But .... even though I can't plan ahead as far as "what" I will eat, I can plan ahead to make wise choices.

July 2-5 --- Water :) ; walk (worked out on the farm alot, so I'm sure I got this in! :) mindful eating :) YES - well, as much as I could; planning :/ - no way, but I was very careful as to my choices!

July 6 Water :) (up to 7 glasses so far, plan on 2 more tonite; walk :) - I didn't get outside walking, but mall walking with my daughter; mindful eating :) Wanted to grab some ice cream this afternoon, but looked at the orange I had written down, and had frozen grapes instead; plan ahead :) Day is all planned for tomorrow (leftover chic burrittos).

And ... a very big welcome to so many new faces on here!!

Woohooo!!!!!! That is awesome, you should be very proud of yourself!
  • Snowflake1968
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    @Snowflake1968 - darling pictures of your grandchildren! What is Canada Day? Is this like our July 4th? And I love the haircolor! Can't wait to see how you get it cut!

@slittlemeister - you are doing so great!!!! You have convinced me to get out my Beck Diet Solution book again --- and actually follow what she says LOL!

@sarah74 - it is so great to see how many embroidery items you sell!! I thought of doing this, but my life is so crazy busy already, so I just sew for fun. I have ordered many designs off embroidery library also! I love your work -- beautiful! Oh ... and Designs by JuJU is having a sale - $1.00 if you order 10 sets I think. A lot of her stuff is machine embroidery though, but it sews beautifully.

@Bex953172 - We would all miss you if you take a break from here!! But maybe just not try to set any goals, other than eating as healthy as you can? With 3 little ones to run after, I'm sure your days are filled to the brim. But hopefully you will keep coming on here just to chat!

I'd love to respond to so many of you.... but I would have to go back over 10 pages! What a wonderful group here! The most motivating ..... and it is what has kept me from totally giving up this year!

Yes Canada Day is the day Canada became a country, 151 years this year. Unlike the States though, we are still part of the Commonwealth. I thought that the Queen didn't really have a say in our government and rulings anymore, but found out in June that we still need royal assent to pass some laws. Pot was supposed to be legalized on July 1st here this year, but we are waiting on the assent so it will be October.
  • Snowflake1968
    JFT - Friday July 6
    2L of Water - :) 2.5
    Stay in Green by 150 - :) 431 leftover
    Outside 15 minutes - :)
    Write in Journal :)
    Walk - :) 5.56 kms at 11:40 pace, it was so hot I didn't want to push myself, so to make sure I didn't I called a friend and talked to her.
    Work on Policy - :| No, I was on the road all day
    Sell - :) Dropped off another 30 or so brochures and business cards

JFT - Saturday July 7
    2L of Water
    Stay in Green by 150
    Outside 15 Minutes
    Write in Journal
    Get some activity in somehow

I met a friend for an unexpected lunch yesterday and had fries. Then it was so hot last night we decided on pizza for supper. I avoid the pizza and just eat the caeser salad, but made the mistake of ordering cheese bread. Too many carbs yesterday so my weight is up again this morning. Today I will be more in control, it rained so the temperature has dropped.

I am getting my nails done this morning and then I am picking up the Grands so they can have a sleepover. It is my daughter's anniversary tomorrow. 7 years already! One year from yesterday will be my youngest daughter's wedding. Their dating "anniversary" is tomorrow and it will be 9 years.

I haven't figured out my exercising for the day yet, I may just bring the stroller and take Michaela with me on a walk. Jonah will be happy here with Grampie watching the race and playing a game. Michaela will not let me out of her sight for very long.

Have a great Saturday everyone!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    @PackerFanInGB Water Check! How is the drinking going?

I don't think I ever officially introduced myself, I just kinda poked my head in and said, "can I join your thread"? So, for the record, here's a bit on me:

I'm Amanda, living in Kansas City, KS with one beautiful kitty, one dying plant I'm trying to rescue, and, at the moment, one tiny spider spinning a web in the windowsill. (I rent a basement apartment, so I leave spiders alone...they cut down on any other less desirable invaders.)

I love reading, writing, swimming, and online gaming. I dislike eggplant, the color orange, and most types of housecleaning. This thread is great for me because I am compulsively list-driven. I struggle with depression, and checking items off of a list gives me a lift when nothing else will. It gets me through the days I don't want to get out of bed. My lists are actually significantly longer than what you see here, but I keep these lists to mostly "taking care of me and my health" goals, with an occasional bonus goal that it's really important I accomplish.

I can eat an entire jar of dill pickles in one sitting, have a deep and abiding affection for Coke Zero and Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi, and can read a 350 page book in about an hour and a half. And I start my new job Monday after 6 months of unemployment! I'm excited!!

Good morning Amanda! Unfortunately, my water intake wasn't optimal but it was better than the day before, so it's forward movement and I'll take it! I think I would have been fine, except they catered in Pizza Hut for all of us who worked on Friday and provided lots of Diet Coke, which I love and have not had in probably a year, so yeah...there's that. :wink:

It's nice to meet you and I'm glad you joined us! You're a great cheerleader! I'm a list person too. I list things on here and then have a whole separate bullet journal i keep other things listed in. I am terribly forgetful if I don't write things down plus, like you, I find that checking things off my lists shows me that I did accomplish something on the days I don't feel that I'm making progress. Great minds... :sunglasses: I actually have advised my kids and grandkids to do that when they are stuck in a rut and feel like they're never going to accomplish their goals. I tell them to write down the goal and then break it out into individual tiny steps in the order they need to do them to get to the final goal. Checking off those individual steps not only seems more doable, but it gives a person a sense of accomplishment.

Oh yeah...I love to read too! Although I am pretty sure I can't read as fast as that! LOL!

Congrats and good luck at the new job! I'll be thinking about you!
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    I haven't been on in ages! Hope you're all doing great.

Today I will:
    Pretrack all meals.
    Eat clean.
    Stay in a calorie deficit.
    Walk our dog.
    Do 5x5 Stronglifts routine at gym.
    Get a good night's sleep.

Have a great Saturday!

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    JFT Friday recap
    1. Drink 3 waters before noon - start now - then drink another 3 before leaving. Nope, 2.5
    2. Be kind - a positive attitude and present in the now. Yes.
    3. Log all food. Yes. So many Darby snacks. But I did pick the dog newtons instead of sour patch kids so win?
    4. Stay around maintenance for today - since my breakfast sandwich was almost half my daily calories I KNOW I'll be hungry and grumpy if I try to eat at a deficit today. Yes
    5. Do some squaring off around the house so things are more pleasant to look at while they are in piles waiting to be cleaned this weekend lol. Yes. Squared off but still in piles lol
    6. Dont worry. Be happy. Yes

JFT
    1. Finish at least 1 liter of water while the sun is up
    2. Log all food
    3. Bring snacks to friend's

Catch up with everyone after the weekend! :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    Is it too late for me to join in in this thread? I love the idea of setting goals JFT. I have been back on track with counting calories and moving more for about three weeks now. The past couple of days I have gone overboard, but I am off to a good start for today. I went on a 5.5 mile walk!
    I work from 7 pm to 7 am. So, my "days" can be pretty long, and that can present a challenge for food tracking and weight loss.
    My goals for today are to drink at least two bottles of water (24 oz each) while I'm at work and to not snack on extra items while working.
    -Monica

Hi Monica! It's never too late to jump in on this thread! Welcome, and those are two really good goals for today. My son works 12 hour shifts alternating one week days and next week nights. I give you a lot of credit! I couldn't do it!
  • Snowflake1968
    I just started drinking my water for the day and it's already 5pm, this is not good! I have the Grands tonight and I'm hoping that the sun stays out now that two thunderstorms have gone through. I have the stroller so that Michaela and I can still get in a walk. It will be needed because I bought my favourite ice cream for dessert. Why do I do this? I'm not one that wants it every night like my husband at least.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend, will check in later in the evening or in the morning.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,181 Member
    Saragirl2 wrote: »

SO nice to see you back!!!! We missed you!!!!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Saragirl2 wrote: »

I'm so happy to see you! I've been thinking about you. I have been listening to Half Size Me podcasts this week at work and love it! You were the one who used to listen to that one, correct? Everytime I listen to it, I wonder how you are. :smile: Hope you are doing well too! :heart:
  • PackerFanInGB
    edited July 2018
    Today was a great day. My DH and I went up to Door County for the day and just took a nice drive. We stopped at a few of the beaches and spent time by the water, watched some guys catching fish off the pier by Lake Michigan. Sunroof open, windows down, classic rock playing on the radio....was just a care-free kind of day. Pretty awesome.

I measured 1 lb of fresh veggies and munched on those today instead of buying chips and crap for snacks, and I was doing really well with my choices today. Then, we stopped at a China Buffet for dinner and it kinda went downhill there... But I think my calories were so low all day prior to that, that I'm probably still in the green. Hard to know when you eat from a buffet like that. I tried to take small amounts of each thing I tasted.

I'm going to post tomorrow's goals tonight because I'm hoping to get up early and go fishing in the morning. I'd like to get out on the lake while it's still quiet, while the ducks and loons are out and the water skiiers are not. :smile: Peace and Serenity. :relaxed:

Just for Sunday (7/8):
    Log every bite
    Stay in the green
    Meal plan & make grocery list
    July budget & bills
    Spend at least one hour studying for exams
    Finish top of quilt and pin it
    1 lb veggies and 2 svgs fruit
    Dust off Beck's Diet Solution and get through Day1
    Uplug at 9:00 and read. Lights out at 10:00.

July 1: Water :star: / Walk/Move :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 2: Water :star: / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :( [/quote]
    July 3: Water :( / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :( [/quote]
    July 4: Water :naughty: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star: [/quote]
    July 5: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :naughty:
    July 6: Water :neutral: Not as much as I wanted but not bad / Walk :naughty: but to be fair, I had PT and was pretty sore / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 7: Water :star: / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating: :star: / Planning :star:
    July 8: Water / Walk / Mindful Eating / Planning

• Snowflake1968
    10fei2gjuli2.jpeg
    I walked a little over 4kms tonight 4 of them Michaela was in the stroller, then I let her walk. My pace became very slow for the last bit, but I had lots of smiles and “What’s that”? To answer so it was worth it. Now if she would quit crying and go to sleep!
  • mytime6630

Just kinda a lazy day today. I ended up watching youtube videos all day on trusts and wills! We are still trying to decide what to do, since we have to change our will, and just don't know what to do to make sure our daughter is cared for when we are gone. So we thought we should get as educated as we can!

Hubbys friend ended up staying from 1:30 until 8pm, but my husband had a nice time. This guy lives 5 hrs away, so they don't get to see each other that often. So it was nice ... but as a result. .. all the stuff I had planned just did not get done. My lunch wasn't what I had written down, but I still did pretty good sticking to my plan (just added the cheese and crackers)

JFT, Saturday, July 7
    1. go to the gym :)
    2. mow the grass :) , and weed at least 4 of my 9 flower beds :/ Not enough time, as a friend of my hubby stopped by (and stayed from 1:30 until 8pm!!)
    3. try and take my bike out --- it is suppose to be a beautiful day out :/
    4. work on PC boards :/
    5. work on business tax - quarterly taxes are due :/
    6. read 1 more chapter in the Beck Diet Solution :/
    7. do April Challenge - 8+ cups water :)
    8. do May challenge - get outside for 15 minutes (this should be easy, given my goals) :) Mowing the grass counts ... right!
    9. Do June Challenge - mindful eating :/ Again, I put cheese and crackers out for hubby and his friend. I nibbled on these throughout the day .... but it could have been worse.
    10. pin my quilt so I can start quilting it :/
    11. get back on here - be accountable :)

JFt, Sunday
    1. go to the gym
    2. swimming at my friends - but eat healthy choices. Going to try and just eat breakfast, and skip her taco and ice cream bar!!
    3. work in the yard - weed flower beds
    4. work on pc boards
    5. do business quarterly taxes
    6. read 1 more chapter in beck diet solution
    7. do july challenge, and report on here.

• mytime6630
    Challenges:
    July 1: Water :) ; Walk :/ (storming outside!); mindful eating :) ; planning :) ---- my planning for the next 3 days will be to just eat as healthy as I can! We are traveling tomorrow to see our son in Michigan - a 8 hr car ride. We tend to stop at McDonalds a lot, so I know I can find things low calorie. My problem will be the rest of the 3 days we are there. But .... even though I can't plan ahead as far as "what" I will eat, I can plan ahead to make wise choices.

July 2-5 --- Water :) ; walk (worked out on the farm alot, so I'm sure I got this in! :) mindful eating :) YES - well, as much as I could; planning :/ - no way, but I was very careful as to my choices!

July 6 Water :) (up to 7 glasses so far, plan on 2 more tonite; walk :) - I didn't get outside walking, but mall walking with my daughter; mindful eating :) Wanted to grab some ice cream this afternoon, but looked at the orange I had written down, and had frozen grapes instead; plan ahead :) Day is all planned for tomorrow (leftover chic burrittos).

July 7: Water :) walk :) (actually mowing grass); mindful eating :/ ended up eating too many cheese and crackers, and then gave in to a bowl of ice cream tonite; planning :) (I have my menu written down for tomorrow)
  • IamBorg
    IamBorg Posts: 49 Member
    After having regained the weight I lost, I'm getting back on track as of a few days ago. This time I decided to start out with a JFT mindset, and then found this thread!

July 7 (Sat):
    1. Log everything (food/exercise) :smile:
    2. Walk or hike :smile: (1.82 miles)
    3. Avoid sugar :smile:
    4. Drink homemade coffee rather than high calorie flavored stuff :smile:

July 8 (Sun):
    1. Log everything
    2. Walk or hike
    3. Avoid sugar
    4. Drink homemade coffee
    5. Yoga 15 mins
    6. Avoid midnight snack, or if needed keep under 100 calories
    7. Drink 1 L water
    8. Complete physics homework
    9. Work on notes for exam
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Just for Yesterday (Sat, 7/8/18)

1. Log everything I eat and stay under my calorie goal. :)
    2. Do physical therapy morning and evening. :)
    3. Drink 80 oz of water. :)
    4. Make split pea soup for next week. :neutral: I made a calculated decision not to do this, as I was feeling extra munchy yesterday and felt that my goals would be better served by staying completely out of the kitchen. I'll make it this morning.
    5. Eat only when hungry. :)
    6. Get out of the house and get some activity. :) Walked and then saw a movie.

Just for Today:

1. Log everything I eat and stay under my calorie goal
    2. Do physical therapy morning and evening
    3. Drink 80 oz of water
    4. Make split pea soup
    5. Eat only when hungry
    6. Yoga routine
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Just for Yesterday (Sat, 7/8/18)

1. Log everything I eat and stay under my calorie goal. :)
    2. Do physical therapy morning and evening. :)
    3. Drink 80 oz of water. :)
    4. Make split pea soup for next week. :neutral: I made a calculated decision not to do this, as I was feeling extra munchy yesterday and felt that my goals would be better served by staying completely out of the kitchen. I'll make it this morning.
    5. Eat only when hungry. :)
    6. Get out of the house and get some activity. :) Walked and then saw a movie.

Just for Today:

1. Log everything I eat and stay under my calorie goal
    2. Do physical therapy morning and evening
    3. Drink 80 oz of water
    4. Make split pea soup
    5. Eat only when hungry
    6. Yoga routine

Great job hitting your goals! What movie did you see?
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    JFY (Saturday 7/7/18)
    1) Log all my food :)
    2) Stay "in the green" with my calories even though I have a BBQ to go to :/
    3) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake :)
    4) Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke :)
    5) Complete Day 2 in my new Beck Diet Solutions :)

JFT (Sunday 7/8/18)
    1) Log all my food
    2) Stay "in the green" with my calories
    3) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake
    4) Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke
    5) Complete Day 3 in my new Beck Diet Solutions