Half marathon - Support and Motivation!

Options

Replies

• Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Just started week 2 of training for the Detroit half-marathon. Even though it's really 14ish weeks away, I'm still working off of the 12-week novice Hal Higdon plan, as I figure there will be a week or two that I could repeat. On the schedule for today: strength and stretch. Going to do a pilates dvd and some arm weights. Will need to get up early again tomorrow (ugh- darn heat) and do a 3-miler. The run shouldn't be bad. The getting up will be. Let's hope the weather holds out... otherwise it'll be a treadmill run at the gym, and I'm not so much a fan of them.

Good luck everyone! I look forward to reading more about your trainings over the next few weeks!

I wish you luck with your training. Keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Doctor's appointment went well. I can at least start running again. This week only a mile a day and so on, but I can't complain, at least I get to run again. WHOOOHOOO!!! :bigsmile:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I'm still in. I've finished 2 of 16 weeks training for the Detriot 1/2 marathon on October. I run on Tues, Thurs and one day one the weekend. Today was cross training and I rode my bike for 65 min.

How are you doing and feeling so far? I got in 3 weeks before I got injured. I hope all is well with you. :bigsmile:

I've been running the 5k distance since March. I've gradually increased up to 6 miles. I'd been running 9 to 12 miles a week for a month before I decided to commit to training for the 1/2 marathon. Knock on wood that so far things are going well and I feel great. I'm using the runner's world planner for my scheduled runs. Total distance at a time increases every other week or so. I think this week I run 2 miles tomorrow, 5 thurs and 7 (which will be my longest run to date) on Sat. I do cross train MWF with hour long bike rides. Several evenings a week, I lift light weights or kettle bells. I also do some low impact aerobics or walk several evenings a week.

Glad to here that you've been cleared to run. Have you thought about every other day to start so that your muscles get a rest?
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I've been running the 5k distance since March. I've gradually increased up to 6 miles. I'd been running 9 to 12 miles a week for a month before I decided to commit to training for the 1/2 marathon. Knock on wood that so far things are going well and I feel great. I'm using the runner's world planner for my scheduled runs. Total distance at a time increases every other week or so. I think this week I run 2 miles tomorrow, 5 thurs and 7 (which will be my longest run to date) on Sat. I do cross train MWF with hour long bike rides. Several evenings a week, I lift light weights or kettle bells. I also do some low impact aerobics or walk several evenings a week.

Glad to here that you've been cleared to run. Have you thought about every other day to start so that your muscles get a rest?

Sounds like a great way to get to the HM mileage. I can't wait to get there myself.

I do only run every other day. I really want to run tonite, but I think I will hold off until my schedule run day, tomorrow. Even if it is only a little, it is better than nothing. :bigsmile:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I don't start my training schedule until July 26. I'm running the "Home of Purdue" half marathon in Lafayette, Indiana. It's the first year for this race, so we'll see how it goes. It looks REALLY hilly...

That's the one I'm running too! Where are you from? I'm a Purdue alum, so I thought this would be really neat to do. I forgot (or didn't think about) all the hills. Yikes!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Starting my official training the first full week of August. I've got a few smaller races in there too.

What are you doing until then? :bigsmile:
    I was going to do another 5K this weekend, but I have to save money for vacation the last week of July. I will be doing another 5K in mid-August and a 5M race in September.

How many other races have you guys done (of any length)?

I did one 5K last year, my very first race. I have done two 5Ks this year so far and a 10K. I have one more 5K and a 5M before the half.
  • Iffer75
    Options

I was going to do another 5K this weekend, but I have to save money for vacation the last week of July. I will be doing another 5K in mid-August and a 5M race in September.

I did one 5K last year, my very first race. I have done two 5Ks this year so far and a 10K. I have one more 5K and a 5M before the half.

Do you run every day of the week? Do you do anything strength training?

I have done 2 5k's, 1 4m and 1 5m. I will be doing a 10k on my wedding day in the early morning hours. My foot doctor actually told me it is a great idea. My mother doesn't think so. LOL :bigsmile:
  • Amy_B
    Options

Do you run every day of the week? Do you do anything strength training?

I have done 2 5k's, 1 4m and 1 5m. I will be doing a 10k on my wedding day in the early morning hours. My foot doctor actually told me it is a great idea. My mother doesn't think so. LOL :bigsmile:
    Yes, I try to do strength 2 or so times per week, but I need to be more consistent. I also do other cardio.

That's awesome that you're doing a race on your wedding day!
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I will be doing a 10k on my wedding day in the early morning hours. My foot doctor actually told me it is a great idea. My mother doesn't think so. LOL :bigsmile:

That's cool that you're racing on your wedding day. Though I'm sure my mom would have freaked out if I did that too. When's the special day?
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I want to think about some more races I can enter prior to the half. I think I'll do a 10K about 3 weeks prior to the race, but perhaps I'll throw another 5K race in there as well. I know they have tons around me all the time.

Week 2, day 2 complete. Ran 3.1 miles this morning in 38 minutes. I'll take it. And I'm glad I'm done with exercise for the day. Yesterday, as a strength and stretch day, I did a circuit training dvd, which was all right. Tomorrow is cross training. Will probably elliptical it up at the gym.

Hope everyone has a good and productive day!
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I got up and did 3 miles this morning in 35:27. I am getting faster each time I run!!
  • Iffer75
    Options

Yes, I try to do strength 2 or so times per week, but I need to be more consistent. I also do other cardio.

That's awesome that you're doing a race on your wedding day!

I think it will keep me going for the day. I even have the catering with healthy foods on the list. Grilled chicken and pork chops with a fruit and lettuce salads. Oh yea, and small red potatoes. Other than the drinking everything else will be good. Oh, I forgot about the cake. YUMMY!!! LOL :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I will be doing a 10k on my wedding day in the early morning hours. My foot doctor actually told me it is a great idea. My mother doesn't think so. LOL :bigsmile:

That's cool that you're racing on your wedding day. Though I'm sure my mom would have freaked out if I did that too. When's the special day?

August 28th, less than 2 months. AAAAHHHHH!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I want to think about some more races I can enter prior to the half. I think I'll do a 10K about 3 weeks prior to the race, but perhaps I'll throw another 5K race in there as well. I know they have tons around me all the time.

Week 2, day 2 complete. Ran 3.1 miles this morning in 38 minutes. I'll take it. And I'm glad I'm done with exercise for the day. Yesterday, as a strength and stretch day, I did a circuit training dvd, which was all right. Tomorrow is cross training. Will probably elliptical it up at the gym.

Hope everyone has a good and productive day!

Keep up the great work!!! :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I got up and did 3 miles this morning in 35:27. I am getting faster each time I run!!

AWESOME!!! :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Doctor released me to run 1 mile a day this week. As long as no pain, I can do 2 miles week and then 3 miles. If all goes well for the next 3 weeks I will be able to start my HM training again. I am so excited. WHOOOHOOO!!! :bigsmile:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    W3D1 ran 2 miles this morning as scheduled. My pace was normal for me at 13:30 per mile.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    7.4 miles....it's way hot here.

Finished up around 9:30 am and it's already 87 degrees :sad: I had wanted to start at 7 am, but i have 2 new kittens and one of them decided at 3 am that I needed a bath and then licked me for 15 minutes straight no matter how i tried to deter her :laugh: So, i wound up hitting snooze several times, had to make coffee, etc. so i didn't get to start until a bit after 8 am.

Hope everyone had a great day :drinker:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    7.4 miles....it's way hot here.

Finished up around 9:30 am and it's already 87 degrees :sad: I had wanted to start at 7 am, but i have 2 new kittens and one of them decided at 3 am that I needed a bath and then licked me for 15 minutes straight no matter how i tried to deter her :laugh: So, i wound up hitting snooze several times, had to make coffee, etc. so i didn't get to start until a bit after 8 am.

Hope everyone had a great day :drinker:

Haha, I know how you feel! I had trouble sleeping last night and a phone interview at 9am this morning, so I was determined to sleep until 8am to be rested for the interview. But, of course, our new puppy decided at 6:30am that she was lonely and starts crying from her kennel. I'm just now going to go run, and it's already hot. Ugh.
  • Iffer75
    Options
    W3D1 ran 2 miles this morning as scheduled. My pace was normal for me at 13:30 per mile.

Keep up the awesome work. :bigsmile: