Half marathon - Support and Motivation!

Options

Replies

• akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't checked in a couple of days. I am still on track with training overall, though I took yesterday off, because I was feeling, well, off... so moved my schedule back a day, using yesterday as a Rest day instead of Friday. Got up this morning and did 3.5 miles, per the schedule. Felt good to do. I'm not enjoying getting up so early and running, but it is nice to be done that early in the day. Even now, at 9am, I've sort of already forgotten about it, which is nice. Wish it was cooler in the evenings, as I would much rather run then, but 5:30 it is. Blech!

Glad to read that everyone is going well!
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 1/2 Marathon that I have signed up for December 5 in Dallas. I'm currently not following any program but have been running. Saturday was my longest so far. I didn't look at my pace and just went out and ran as far as I could. I ended up running 1hr 25 minutes which got me 7.1 miles. My plan is to be able to about 2 hours without stopping by the end of August then I will work a little more on pace. I'm currently doing more cycling for cross training because of the heat and humidity here in Texas.

I have not read all the messages, so please friend me if you like. Also does anyone here use dailymile.com to track their exercise?

Goals:
    1. Weight to be about 180 (30 more pounds)
    2. Finish without walking other than a few water breaks.

I love dailymile.com. Feel free to friend me there (afadingvoice). Way to go with your training!
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    5.6 miles at 10:42/mi pace. Dang, i hate the tm sometimes, lol. Switched my mp3 player over to my "dance" playlist and the time went by so much quicker with music with a faster beat.

OK, 12 hours until my parents get here. going to do the last of the power cleaning and a little food shopping.

i'll try to check in later.l
    Lisa
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Hey girls-

I posted a while back, but haven't been checking in as regularly as I should have :ohwell: This is my first week of my half marathon training- so far, so good. I'm experimenting with adding more sodium to my diet because I drink A LOT of water, and eat almost no sodium. I've been reading up and I think I need more in the summer when I'm sweating. Anyhow, I will try to check in more regularly from here on out! :wink:
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Just finished a 3mile run. Gotta love it being 90 degrees at 8pm...bleh. Overall a good run though. I can only hope I'll speed up once the temp gets a little cooler. Did some planks and upper body weights as well so all is good

Keep up with the great runs everyone!

Melissa

Sounds like you are doing great and keeping up with your runs even if it is hot outside. I think for us runners, the cooler weather is much needed in order to feel better while running. Keep pushing through and soon the cooler weather will be upon us. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Did a 5-miler last night (on the treadmill, boring!) in 45 minutes. I'm so inspired by all of you that are able to run outside in the summer! I just don't handle the heat very well, so I resort to going to the gym... I do run with a friend on Sunday mornings, but I don't have time to do that on weekdays, so it's the gym for me.

Training begins on Monday for me. Should be fine, since my first long run (July 31) is set for 5 miles and I already did that last night. Keep it up everybody!

Keep up the AWESOME work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I started training this week as well for a half marathon; this will be my third and I'm hoping, my best. I have the same problem with the heat, the only time I can run is early morning or late in the evening. With the heat wave we've been having here, I've opted to run on the treadmill the majority of the time. Weekends are different, I usually run outside so that II can come home and take my time cooling off. One thing I do like about the treadmill is when I get to the part in my training schedule that calls for interval running; I find it easier to maintain the faster pace when I have to keep up with the treadmill rather than trying to maintain it on my own when running outside.
    best of luck to all of you who have started your training!

I agree with you on the intervals with a treadmill. My treadmill doesn't work any longer, but I did like having it to push myself a little harder on occassion to get me through a rough patch. Keep up the amazing work. When is your HM? :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Sorry I haven't checked in a couple of days. I am still on track with training overall, though I took yesterday off, because I was feeling, well, off... so moved my schedule back a day, using yesterday as a Rest day instead of Friday. Got up this morning and did 3.5 miles, per the schedule. Felt good to do. I'm not enjoying getting up so early and running, but it is nice to be done that early in the day. Even now, at 9am, I've sort of already forgotten about it, which is nice. Wish it was cooler in the evenings, as I would much rather run then, but 5:30 it is. Blech!

Glad to read that everyone is going well!

Keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    5.6 miles at 10:42/mi pace. Dang, i hate the tm sometimes, lol. Switched my mp3 player over to my "dance" playlist and the time went by so much quicker with music with a faster beat.

OK, 12 hours until my parents get here. going to do the last of the power cleaning and a little food shopping.

i'll try to check in later.l
    Lisa

I can tell you are much faster than I am. LOL Keep up the AWESOME work. Enjoy your time with your family. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Hey girls-

I posted a while back, but haven't been checking in as regularly as I should have :ohwell: This is my first week of my half marathon training- so far, so good. I'm experimenting with adding more sodium to my diet because I drink A LOT of water, and eat almost no sodium. I've been reading up and I think I need more in the summer when I'm sweating. Anyhow, I will try to check in more regularly from here on out! :wink:

Can't wait to hear about your progress. Keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    So, I started my week a day late. I did my first 2 miles Tuesday nite. It was really good actually, no pain in the ankle. I am very excited about that. Last nite I did another 2 miles and still no pain. Then I did my strength training and core workout. I have not been eating the best this week, but today is a new day and I have no money on me to go get anything. LOL Gave my debit card to my fiance', so I wouldn't even have the temptation. I am using the stress of the wedding stuff as my excuse and that is not a good excuse. I want to get to 155 before my wedding and if I keep eating the way I have been, that will not happen. So desperate measures have to be taken. :laugh:

Here is to a new day and being 7 pounds smaller by my wedding day. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all of you that have been sticking to your schedule!! I have not been as dedicated as I want and can't seem to find the motivation. I am actually leaving work at hour early to get home and run. Attempting 4 miles again!
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    So I did it! I ran 4 miles only walking one block. Which is simply amazing! I have never run this much with walking so little. I even did it in less than 47 minutes. I am so proud of myself!
  • lisajuly
    Options
    So I did it! I ran 4 miles only walking one block. Which is simply amazing! I have never run this much with walking so little. I even did it in less than 47 minutes. I am so proud of myself!

Great job! Congratulations :)
  • lisajuly
    Options
    So, I started my week a day late. I did my first 2 miles Tuesday nite. It was really good actually, no pain in the ankle. I am very excited about that. Last nite I did another 2 miles and still no pain. Then I did my strength training and core workout. I have not been eating the best this week, but today is a new day and I have no money on me to go get anything. LOL Gave my debit card to my fiance', so I wouldn't even have the temptation. I am using the stress of the wedding stuff as my excuse and that is not a good excuse. I want to get to 155 before my wedding and if I keep eating the way I have been, that will not happen. So desperate measures have to be taken. :laugh:

Here is to a new day and being 7 pounds smaller by my wedding day. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Glad you were able to run without pain! I've had a rough food week too and i'm trying to get back on track too. Good idea giving fiance your debit card--no impulse food buys!
  • lisajuly
    Options
    Cross train day for me. 48 min interval program on my tm, @20 minutes upper body weights and an On-Demand abs video (10 min, tops).

So looking forward to my run tomorrow. Since my parents are here, I can run outside...and at 7 am, if i want! Hopefully, I'll sweat out some of the garbage I ate the other day :sad:
  • lisajuly
    Options
    ....and i'm back :)

Was able to go run at 7:30 am before it got too warm. 5.9 miles/10:39 avg pace.

It's my daughter's 8th birthday today. We're off to the movies and then, later to Red Robin (her choice) for her birthday dinner. Will be picking out my food shortly so i can work it into the day's calories.
  • Iffer75
    Options

You are doing AWESOME, keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Glad you were able to run without pain! I've had a rough food week too and i'm trying to get back on track too. Good idea giving fiance your debit card--no impulse food buys!

Thanx :blushing:

I figured that would be the only way that I would not go out and buy all sorts of junk. Even though I did remember that I have the check book. hehehehe :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    ....and i'm back :)

Was able to go run at 7:30 am before it got too warm. 5.9 miles/10:39 avg pace.

It's my daughter's 8th birthday today. We're off to the movies and then, later to Red Robin (her choice) for her birthday dinner. Will be picking out my food shortly so i can work it into the day's calories.

Great job getting your run in before the days events. That will keep you on track for the day, since you don't want to ruin what you have started for the day.

Happy Birthday to your daughter. Have a beautiful day. :bigsmile: