Half marathon - Support and Motivation!

Options

Replies

• Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    7.4 miles....it's way hot here.

Finished up around 9:30 am and it's already 87 degrees :sad: I had wanted to start at 7 am, but i have 2 new kittens and one of them decided at 3 am that I needed a bath and then licked me for 15 minutes straight no matter how i tried to deter her :laugh: So, i wound up hitting snooze several times, had to make coffee, etc. so i didn't get to start until a bit after 8 am.

Hope everyone had a great day :drinker:

Oh, kitties are so cute. I completely understand what you went through. At least you got your run in. Keep up the awesome work. :bigsmile:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It was a rough day today for training. It was 88 degrees in my house, hotter outside, so running was REALLY difficult today. Luckily, the program allowed me to cross train, too. So, I went back and forth between the treadmill and the stationary bike: half mile running hard, half mile bike high resistance, and so on. I'm not sure it was good enough, but it was something.
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just hit the gym and did 4 miles on the treadmill. As much as I don't like the treadmill, I guess it's better than running in 88 degree humid weather... Cranked it up to 6.7mph today for the whole run! I haven't done that since 2007!

Have a great night everyone!
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I didn't run this morning but was able to do a workout dvd for my strength training. I am hoping to get a run in tonight after work.
  • tericamp
    tericamp Posts: 19
    Options
    After my kickboxing class, I decided to go for a run when I got home. I made it almost to the top of the hill that I have never been able to run up! It was only a 10 minute run, but I am happy I made it up the hill! :) (p.s. I was already exhausted from kickboxing so I probably could have kept running if it had been a non-crosstraining day)
  • Iffer75
    Options
    It was a rough day today for training. It was 88 degrees in my house, hotter outside, so running was REALLY difficult today. Luckily, the program allowed me to cross train, too. So, I went back and forth between the treadmill and the stationary bike: half mile running hard, half mile bike high resistance, and so on. I'm not sure it was good enough, but it was something.

You moved and that is all that matters. Keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I just hit the gym and did 4 miles on the treadmill. As much as I don't like the treadmill, I guess it's better than running in 88 degree humid weather... Cranked it up to 6.7mph today for the whole run! I haven't done that since 2007!

Nice job!!! Keep up the AWESOME work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I didn't run this morning but was able to do a workout dvd for my strength training. I am hoping to get a run in tonight after work.

I hope your run goes well tonite. Have a great day. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    After my kickboxing class, I decided to go for a run when I got home. I made it almost to the top of the hill that I have never been able to run up! It was only a 10 minute run, but I am happy I made it up the hill! :) (p.s. I was already exhausted from kickboxing so I probably could have kept running if it had been a non-crosstraining day)

Keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Got in another run/walk last nite. It went really well. Having two insoles in my shoes make a huge difference on my stride and bounce. It seems I bounce more. hehehe My doctor recommended it. My shins are sore, so I am making sure to stretch them more before and after my runs, in addidion to my achillies stretch.

Rest day today, due to double band practice tonite. :bigsmile:
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options

That's a nice pace! :drinker:
  • lisajuly
    Options
    Day off from running today. I've been trying to do yoga a couple of times a week since I've been running a bit more, so I did Bryan Kest's Power Yoga 1 today. Later tonight involves obtaining and getting back to my house a refrigerator.
  • lisajuly
    Options

Good job making it up the hill!
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Day off of running today. Crosstraining is on the schedule. Will head to the gym after work for some elliptical fun. Will be up early tomorrow before work for another run.

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • flbeachbum
    flbeachbum Posts: 12
    Options
    Joining in;) I am going to do the Disney Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon in Oct! It will be here before I know it. First, let me say - I am so not a runner. I've done 3 1/2 marathons before in Disney with Team in Training. I walked all of them but never was really fit while participating in them.
    This time around I've committed to lose the weight and get fit. I actually jogged a mile straight last week at 5mph and was thrilled;) I can walk a pretty good pace right now at 4.6mph. My goal is to lose 20 more lbs by then and be close to goal weight. I would also love to jog/walk it this time around.
    Hoping to stay motivated with y'all!!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Joining in;) I am going to do the Disney Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon in Oct! It will be here before I know it. First, let me say - I am so not a runner. I've done 3 1/2 marathons before in Disney with Team in Training. I walked all of them but never was really fit while participating in them.
    This time around I've committed to lose the weight and get fit. I actually jogged a mile straight last week at 5mph and was thrilled;) I can walk a pretty good pace right now at 4.6mph. My goal is to lose 20 more lbs by then and be close to goal weight. I would also love to jog/walk it this time around.
    Hoping to stay motivated with y'all!!

You are awesome and walk faster than I run but that's okay because I love that I can run at all. Good luck in reaching your your goal. Welcome to our group!!!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Day off of running today. Crosstraining is on the schedule. Will head to the gym after work for some elliptical fun. Will be up early tomorrow before work for another run.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Go Kristina Go ((((sung to the go Speed Racer go tune))))

If all goes well, I'll get up early and run too. I want your schedule of 3 miles since mine which says 5 miles :grumble:

I'm working on DH - he isn't sure if he wants to stay in the hotel with me the night before the race (I'm sure I'll have trouble sleeping and I don't want a not so sober man interfering with me when I have to get up early)... I'll keep you posted but may have extra room in my hotel room if you want to be closer for the race... Just something to keep in mind... I think I'd much rather gossip all night with you...
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Got in another run/walk last nite. It went really well. Having two insoles in my shoes make a huge difference on my stride and bounce. It seems I bounce more. hehehe My doctor recommended it. My shins are sore, so I am making sure to stretch them more before and after my runs, in addidion to my achillies stretch.

Rest day today, due to double band practice tonite. :bigsmile:

I'm glad you were able to make the run. What kind of insoles are you using? I need more bounce. Keep up with the stretches. Have you tried stretches with a foam roller? I've been a therapist 20 years and just discovered foam rollers in the last 2 months. My patients love them. They hurt like all get out but really stretch the muscles!!!
  • flbeachbum
    flbeachbum Posts: 12
    Options
    You are awesome and walk faster than I run but that's okay because I love that I can run at all. Good luck in reaching your your goal. Welcome to our group!!!

~ thanks...I'm 5'9" so the long legs help the stride;)
  • amckervey
    amckervey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I am wanting to do a 10 mile run at end of August not sure if I can train that quickly. I have done mostly 5k races I did do a 10k race about month ago kicked my butt haven't been able to get back up to that far of a run since. Of course I took 2 weeks off of running and working out not long after that do to a family emergency. So do you think it's possible for me to do a 10 mile run by end of August. I did do 4 miles the other day had to stop and walk a couple of times but made it. I would also love to do a half marathon this fall I figure if I can make it to 10 miles I can make a half marathon. I guess I need motivation and a good training system to stick with