Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    katie5467 wrote: »
    Since Dec I've made lots of positive changes in my life. I had a dry jan and only had 3 drinks in feb so far.
    I'm so pleased with that. I feel much better. Like you Julie, I feel less anxious and in general better spirits (not always of course but lots of the time!) I've done more exercise and even started a running club! I never thought I could do that.
    I've lost 12lbs and hoping to add to that in the coming months.
    Roll on March! :smile:

That is so awesome!!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,504 Member
    Options
    @kittybenn that literally made me cry. Thank you.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    So happy to have found this thread. I started a Diabetes Prevention Program class 3 weeks ago. I've made changes to my diet, increased my workouts/week and steps today ... so far I've lost 7 pounds. I hope this thread will continue (or maybe start over in March) ... I BELIEVE this thread/group could be the missing link in my current nutrition & health journey <3

Look back a page or 5, the link to March is posted a couple times. :)
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I saw St Pat’s brought up in a couple of posts. I must be the only person in the beer industry who hates that holiday :D
    Not sure how it happens but every year I try to go out for St Pat’s and I wind up completely miserable and going home early. Well I guess for keeping my drinking down that’s a good thing. My wife and I made a promise to just stay home this year. Maybe I’ll have one Guinness, maybe not even that.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,504 Member
    Options
    @erikNJ I agree with you! At this point in my life I don't usually like to drink on holidays when it is expected, like SPD and New Year's Eve. Bars are so crowded, I don't want to drive or even be on the road at all etc. I'll be at home with my tea I guess. I am interested in hearing what others think about St Pats and what their plans are.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    3) Exercised that willpower muscle, stopped fooling myself into thinking that since everyone drinks, it must not be harmful.
    What are your takeaways?

@JulieAL1969 and everybody - I think your #3 was the most important in Feb. for me. I started drinking wine again, but am thrilled and amazed that I'm able to moderate. It's only been a few weeks, to be sure, but this past weekend was good. I stuck to the number of glasses I'd planned. But the more I exercise that willpower muscle the better it gets.

The other takeaway was drinking isn't all I thought it was. Every Sunday night now, I'm kinda like eh. That weekend of wine was nice. It was ok, but it wasn't that fabulous. I am with @springsweet in that I really don't want to stress over "rules." It's just a matter of how to balance all that.

Just like everything, I guess it’s different for everybody. If I didn’t set “rules” for myself I would never have made it two months with my health and wellness goals. I know I would have quit a few weeks back. I’m the kind of person who likes structure in my life, of course that doesn’t work for everyone.
    Another thing is that sometimes rules get broken. I know I broke some of my “rules” or drinking/diet standards I set for myself in February. But I was able to get right back on track the next day. And I’m hoping this continues on and on.
  • Carolep8359
    Carolep8359 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there! How do I join this group?
  • dbanks80
    Options
  • dbanks80
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Hi there! How do I join this group?

It's like double dutch jump rope. You just jump right in. :)

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    loving all the updates
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @erikNJ I agree with you! At this point in my life I don't usually like to drink on holidays when it is expected, like SPD and New Year's Eve. Bars are so crowded, I don't want to drive or even be on the road at all etc. I'll be at home with my tea I guess. I am interested in hearing what others think about St Pats and what their plans are.

St. Pats isn’t really as big of a deal where I live in San Diego (even though my husband comes from. Big Irish Catholic family) - I always make the Irish boiled dinner and have soda bread. I just realized I’ll miss all the hoopla in Chicago - I fly in for a meeting the next day! My biggest concerns in terms of keeping up moderation are two fold - vacations and also when the weather turns warm and we’re outside grilling! I always want a glass of white wine!
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    kittybenn wrote: »
    3) Exercised that willpower muscle, stopped fooling myself into thinking that since everyone drinks, it must not be harmful.
    What are your takeaways?

@JulieAL1969 and everybody - I think your #3 was the most important in Feb. for me. I started drinking wine again, but am thrilled and amazed that I'm able to moderate. It's only been a few weeks, to be sure, but this past weekend was good. I stuck to the number of glasses I'd planned. But the more I exercise that willpower muscle the better it gets.

The other takeaway was drinking isn't all I thought it was. Every Sunday night now, I'm kinda like eh. That weekend of wine was nice. It was ok, but it wasn't that fabulous. I am with @springsweet in that I really don't want to stress over "rules." It's just a matter of how to balance all that.

Just like everything, I guess it’s different for everybody. If I didn’t set “rules” for myself I would never have made it two months with my health and wellness goals. I know I would have quit a few weeks back. I’m the kind of person who likes structure in my life, of course that doesn’t work for everyone.
    Another thing is that sometimes rules get broken. I know I broke some of my “rules” or drinking/diet standards I set for myself in February. But I was able to get right back on track the next day. And I’m hoping this continues on and on.

I bet you're wife loves and respects you more for it.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,561 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »

I was one on the other page that mentioned St.Patty's Day. I never went out to it for the drinking. What I do love is the awesome variety of Irish food that you can have and I also really enjoy the Irish music. So when I brought up having to get through March 17 it was fear or eating to much bangers and mash. Lol

There are many places that offer what they call an Irish pub crawl. I never attended it and never plan to. Plus who in their right mind starts drinking at 6:00AM anyhow??