Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• wigi41
    wigi41 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have done dry January and am now almost through dry February, thanks in large part to this thread and the support, information, resources and wisdom that so many of you generously share. I am a bit nervous for March- we are going on vacation for March Break, and I do have two planned drinks for while we are away. I am wondering what the impact of those drinks might be, after so many AF days. I am hoping I can be someone who can have one drink, once in awhile, but not sure if I am fooling myself. I guess either way, it will be important information for me.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,193 Member
    Options
    wigi41 wrote: »
    I have done dry January and am now almost through dry February, thanks in large part to this thread and the support, information, resources and wisdom that so many of you generously share. I am a bit nervous for March- we are going on vacation for March Break, and I do have two planned drinks for while we are away. I am wondering what the impact of those drinks might be, after so many AF days. I am hoping I can be someone who can have one drink, once in awhile, but not sure if I am fooling myself. I guess either way, it will be important information for me.

Bravo! You did very well. I am with you about March. I am planning on drinks on St. Pat's Day with all my friends. Last night, I had my first alcohol related dream. I was at a bar and in the dream was debating between a martini or vodka on the rocks. hahah same thing, right!
    Anyway, I am a little worried how my body will take the alcohol. I also am planning on drinking Lite Beer to get a little buzz. I am worried I'll be hospitalized if I go back to my old ways with vodka that day.
    Like you said, it will be important information for us.
    I bet I'll say to myself on March 18th- that's it no more, never again. Xo
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    <3 thanku snoo61, salleewins, erik, missmay and Julie.

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Before we switch over to March thread, please let us know how you did, what you learned this month, and how you feel with less alcohol in your system. It really is a poison. But a tasty poison at that.

I'm with you, Julie, on the better skin, thinner face, way less anxiety, and weight loss (I think. I'll find out Wednesday at my doctor's visit).

This month I learned the hard way how depressed alcohol makes me feel. That is now a motivator for me. I don't want to feel that way the next morning. I also learned during my Cleveland trip and my mother's birthday party that I can be strong and enjoy myself AF when everyone else is drinking. Probably a huge thing I've learned from this group is to ditch that sense of shame I've always had about my drinking. It's been eye-opening to learn how not alone I am in this struggle/adventure. I wonder if our common struggle is a gift in some way that leads to the kind of compassion that is evident in this group. It's hard to be judgmental and pompous when you're honest about your own demons, I think.

My goal for March is to walk at least 4x week. I'm consistent with weight training. Love it. Not so much moving! I will spend 2 whole weeks in March (12th-25th) traveling to/in Italy. I feel so blessed to be able to say that. I'm excited and have never been there. I plan to allow myself to taste the vino rosso there, but I will not go crazy as I would have before this thread started in January. I will report back after I return. I suspect I will be back to square one, but I think planning to abstain altogether in Italia would just be unrealistic and setting myself up for a WTF sense of failure. I hope Wi-Fi is available enough that I can check in here a few times while traveling.

Like everyone else, I appreciate this group so much and look forward to the next 2 weeks without alcohol. And here's a (San Pellegrino with lime) toast to our March adventures!!!

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Before we switch over to March thread, please let us know how you did, what you learned this month, and how you feel with less alcohol in your system. It really is a poison. But a tasty poison at that.

I'm with you, Julie, on the better skin, thinner face, way less anxiety, and weight loss (I think. I'll find out Wednesday at my doctor's visit).

This month I learned the hard way how depressed alcohol makes me feel. That is now a motivator for me. I don't want to feel that way the next morning. I also learned during my Cleveland trip and my mother's birthday party that I can be strong and enjoy myself AF when everyone else is drinking. Probably a huge thing I've learned from this group is to ditch that sense of shame I've always had about my drinking. It's been eye-opening to learn how not alone I am in this struggle/adventure. I wonder if our common struggle is a gift in some way that leads to the kind of compassion that is evident in this group. It's hard to be judgmental and pompous when you're honest about your own demons, I think.

My goal for March is to walk at least 4x week. I'm consistent with weight training. Love it. Not so much moving! I will spend 2 whole weeks in March (12th-25th) traveling to/in Italy. I feel so blessed to be able to say that. I'm excited and have never been there. I plan to allow myself to taste the vino rosso there, but I will not go crazy as I would have before this thread started in January. I will report back after I return. I suspect I will be back to square one, but I think planning to abstain altogether in Italia would just be unrealistic and setting myself up for a WTF sense of failure. I hope Wi-Fi is available enough that I can check in here a few times while traveling.

Like everyone else, I appreciate this group so much and look forward to the next 2 weeks without alcohol. And here's a (San Pellegrino with lime) toast to our March adventures!!!

Please post on your trip to Italy. I may have a lot of questions for you. I am going end of August for the first time for 11 days. Personally I plan to enjoy the wine but like you in moderation. Enjoy yourself and have fun!!!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »

I spent a month in Italy a few years ago - you will love it. I actually didn't drink to excess while there - I enjoyed the wine, but I enjoyed the gelato even more! Walking endlessly every day, I didn't put on more than 3 lbs above my maintenance range which I was totally thrilled with.
  • Forgeahead2018
    Forgeahead2018 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!
    My top takeaways from reducing alcohol (not in order of importance ):
    1) Glowing skin, thinner face, no redness or puffy look
    2) Clear minded, much less anxiety and stress, easier to manage emotions, less depression (since drinking does cause depression to get worse)
    3) Exercised that willpower muscle, stopped fooling myself into thinking that since everyone drinks, it must not be harmful
    4) Learned I am not one of those people who can moderate, so it's less stress for me to abstain; I wont drink alcohol today. Period.
    5) Sleeping much better (after a few weeks), saving tons of money by not buying vodka or wine every week, realizing that I can still enjoy parties, celebrations, and vacations without drinking.
    6) Ten pounds weight loss, high energy, no hangovers, headaches or nausea, and feel lighter emotionally
    7) Knowing that I am not alone in my struggle, and that the wolf is still waiting in the woods to pounce on me
    8) Peace of mind, more time for meditation and exercise
  • Lisafeelingbeautiful
    Options
    I'm all in!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @dbanks80 and @WinoGelato, thanks for the good Italy wishes. Oh, yeah, the gelato sounds awesome! And I know we will walk and walk and walk, so that's good. I'm looking forward to feeling a little leaner and meaner after 2 more weeks of AF living before I leave. The 2 almost-completely-sober months have resulted in a more happy me as far as how I will look and feel on my trip. Oh, @dbanks80, check out the "Girl in Florence" blog. It's written by a San Antonio native who has lived in Florence since 2007. She's got all kinds of good info and inspiration for Americans planning an Italy trip.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Since joining this thread last Dec. it’s been such a good change. I was feeling depressed about not being about to change, and feeling like a failure. A dry Jan and a wet feb (but lots of dry days and more in control) has made a big difference. Drinking wine was routine, now it’s more part of a social part of my life, but not nightly.

I turn 40 in March and even though I’m pretty fit and overall eat healthy etc. I’d like to crank it up in March and really feel like my best at the end of the month when my birthday hits. Not drinking more than 7 drinks a week is my goal!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Since joining this thread last Dec. it’s been such a good change. I was feeling depressed about not being about to change, and feeling like a failure. A dry Jan and a wet feb (but lots of dry days and more in control) has made a big difference. Drinking wine was routine, now it’s more part of a social part of my life, but not nightly.

I turn 40 in March and even though I’m pretty fit and overall eat healthy etc. I’d like to crank it up in March and really feel like my best at the end of the month when my birthday hits. Not drinking more than 7 drinks a week is my goal!

When is your bday? I will be 50 March 20th. I have a weekend planned in Vegas and I know I will not be AF! In fact I will probably wasted beyond belief but then again I might surprise myself! LOL!

• katie5467
    katie5467 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Since Dec I've made lots of positive changes in my life. I had a dry jan and only had 3 drinks in feb so far.
    I'm so pleased with that. I feel much better. Like you Julie, I feel less anxious and in general better spirits (not always of course but lots of the time!) I've done more exercise and even started a running club! I never thought I could do that.
    I've lost 12lbs and hoping to add to that in the coming months.
    Roll on March! :smile:
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, @JulieAL1969 - here's the March link.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »

The other takeaway was drinking isn't all I thought it was. Every Sunday night now, I'm kinda like eh. That weekend of wine was nice. It was ok, but it wasn't that fabulous. I am with @springsweet in that I really don't want to stress over "rules." It's just a matter of how to balance all that.

Wouldn't it be great if we could have no rules and still achieve our goals? If I could continue to have just 2 glasses of wine a night (which honestly is not hard) yet still lose weight, I would be set! :(