February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    This was my first ever time running 10K!

W00T! Congrats!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I forgot my earbuds when I packed for the gym this morning. Oops... They're not allowed for some of my races this season though so good practice for that. I just wish it had been an outdoor run instead of inside...

A couple people have posted that races do not allow earbuds. I personally have never seen that. I have seen some races highly suggest against it, but never disallow it outright. I am not sure I would run such a race. I want my pace/etc called out in my ears if nothing else.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I forgot my earbuds when I packed for the gym this morning. Oops... They're not allowed for some of my races this season though so good practice for that. I just wish it had been an outdoor run instead of inside...

A couple people have posted that races do not allow earbuds. I personally have never seen that. I have seen some races highly suggest against it, but never disallow it outright. I am not sure I would run such a race. I want my pace/etc called out in my ears if nothing else.

Two of the races I have been in were partly on roads which were open to traffic, and neither allowed earbuds for that reason.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Two of the races I have been in were partly on roads which were open to traffic, and neither allowed earbuds for that reason.

Yep, that's the case in mine as well. I believe for part of the half marathon the race is on the shoulder and/or there's single lane alternating in one lane and the race in the other lane. However it's in the middle of the Rockies, worth it just for the scenery.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    @bride001 me too. There is group doing 0 to 5K our group is doing 5K to 10K and performance improvement plan. They do speed work and hill work which I never do. I adore my friend Lynda so when she asked if I was interested I was like yep. At the start they showed a film on being afraid and we wrote down what we were afraid of and burned them. After our run we had bible study. Some didn't stay and they are fine with that. I did and enjoyed it. Group aged from college to retirement men and woman.

That is so cool!!!!!!!!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Yep, that's the case in mine as well. I believe for part of the half marathon the race is on the shoulder and/or there's single lane alternating in one lane and the race in the other lane. However it's in the middle of the Rockies, worth it just for the scenery.

Very odd. I have been in several races on open roads and always were mine. I guess it makes sense, but I am not a metronome, so I need my pace call outs in my ears where I can hear them. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    ... however I am learning to fall, I went down gently.

This is a very important life skill.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    February goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 140? I really don't know. Real plan is to follow training and coach's advice well.

2/1- REST
    2/2- 5.5
    2/3- 16.6
    2/4- 4.2
    2/5- REST
    2/6- 9.1
    2/7- 6.7
    2/8- 5.5

Total: 47.6

Today's notes: Easy pace trail run today. Nothing special, just got it done. This whole -14F thing is getting a little old though.

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    7/28- Minnesota Voyageur 50 (coach brought up this one)
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Very odd. I have been in several races on open roads and always were mine. I guess it makes sense, but I am not a metronome, so I need my pace call outs in my ears where I can hear them. :)

I've only had seen them not allowed on a trail race, but I can understand when it is single track and there are lots of runners. You need to hear when someone behind you is trying to pass and such. Still, I never actually saw it being enforced despite lots of runners with earbuds.

I've also ran on open roads, one of which had only a few vehicles during an entire half marathon. The other roads I've run on that were open were busier in general anyway. A 5K/10K race I do every year nearby has a portion along a major US highway and another part along a smaller highway - both are major routes through the town and used by motorists traveling through/past to other destinations. They have Sheriff's parked with lights on to keep drivers alert, but don't close the roads. The smaller road has no shoulder, though, so they do put up cones to block off the outside lane. They do not mind earbuds at all.

Yet local another race is on a bike trail and crosses busy rural highways multiple times and then goes along other roads towards the end (once returning to the town). Many of these crossings are blind as the trees block view from the highway until you turn a corner and run right out onto the road almost without realizing it. This is a BQ race, so they can't just have runners wait for traffic. All road crossings have Sheriff's (rural highway crossings) and police (In town for roads that are not closed) to stop traffic for runners. At the blind bends/corners, they have an additional person at the 'corner' to watch down the trail for runners approaching, who can then communicate to the Sheriff in order to stop traffic (speed limit 55 mph) in time for the runners to go through without stopping. Yet again, this race does not have any issues with earbuds... but it is very safe regardless.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Just be like some people at my races and don't use earbuds, just blare it for all to hear!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Just be like some people at my races and don't use earbuds, just blare it for all to hear!

Eh, no. :):lol: But thanks for the suggestion! :lol:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - Your post about the puddle just cracked me up. I've done that before with a suspicious dog, but I'm not sure about a puddle. Also, wanted to add that I hope you get to feeling better soon and that your MRI provides some answers. <3
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @girlinahat - Your post about the puddle just cracked me up. I've done that before with a suspicious dog, but I'm not sure about a puddle. Also, wanted to add that I hope you get to feeling better soon and that your MRI provides some answers. <3

I actually wrote a short story waaaaaaaaaay back in HS about the fear of puddles. I wish I still had it to share right now :)