February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    All this talk of headphones and music. I don't think I've gone for a run with headphones since like the spring of 16. Never seemed to bother me.
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    @Link2Life , You're just starting, 5.5 mph is actually quite fast (and your HR confirms it). I'm with @7lenny7 on this: slow down.

I'm back to running after a break and I'm following a 10K now. I sometimes run as slow as 4.2 mph to stay around instructed 157 bpm. I wish someone had told me 3 years ago that there's no such thing as slow running: I was aiming for endurance AND speed, going as high as 180 bpm sometimes, but you can't build endurance that way, you're just burning yourself up.

Some people have great cardio shape from the start, but others have to be patient :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I just found out that the Garmin Connect mobile app now has the ability to auto create a route for you based on the number of miles you want to run (or cycle). I believe it uses it's own heat map to help create the routes.

Go to Courses, then Create Course, then select the type of route (Running or Trail Running). There you can name your route, set your distance, and initial direction. Then it takes you to a map of where you are. Touch the map where you want to start and it churns away and comes up with a route. I just tried a 13 mile road route and it spit back a 13.76 mile route. The route it came up with seams to be ok.

Once you have the course, you can add change your initial direction or add mile markers.

I tried to create a course on a trail, and Garmin completely failed. It took me about a half mile on trail then a big paved loop around the park.

I could see this being marginally useful if you're in an unfamiliar area though you'd want to make sure it was safe, or maybe wanted to try a new route. I would not use this for trail running though.

Looks interesting.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    All this talk of headphones and music. I don't think I've gone for a run with headphones since like the spring of 16. Never seemed to bother me.

I occasionally put headphones in, if I'm on a not very exciting route, where I want to get some distance in and need some motivation (ie. something to forget I'm still running). But my headphones are designed to allow in ambient noise. I also make a point of acknowledging other runners/cyclists/walkers when I have them in.

I've never worn them in a race,and don't need them for pacing, but then my pacing is non-existent anyway.

Over here, most races that involve road crossings would ban them, or where safety may be an issue (randy cows or sheep). Road races generally are on closed roads, not that I'd know.
  • Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Link2Life wrote: »
    February
    Goal: 35 miles <--this might have been a bit optimistic or just bad math! LOL.
    Completed: 6.5 miles

02/02/2018: C25K - Week 5 Day 1
    02/05/2018: C25K - Week 5 Day 2
    02/07/2018: C25K - Week 5 Day 3
    02/09/2018: C25K - Week 6 Day 1

Today's run felt really easy (and short). I did dial back the pace a little bit to keep my heart rate lower. I'm now also doing a 10 minute "Yoga for Runners - Post workout" which feels amazing. I think I'll do a virtual 5k when I graduate C25K to celebrate (and I've already downloaded the 10k trainer).

Feb 14th also starts conditioning my horse to get him ready for his first 50 mile race May 5. Horses are lucky, they retain their condition much longer than people. He was fit last October but with 10 weeks of conditioning, he'll be ready for a 50.

Well done! ;) Could you post a link to the routine you use? YouTube has too many hits on "Yoga for Runners - Post workout"
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    RE: Headphones- When I first started running, my options for music would have been a portable CD player or a cumbersome Sony Walkman cassette player. How funny is that? So for years I ran without music until my hubby bought me my first MP3 player about 15 years ago. Now I run with music sometimes and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I leave the music behind because I just like to zone out with my thoughts and also hear what's going on around me. I especially like to do this when I am running in the woods. When I ran the Columbus marathon in 2015, I got all geared up for my race with a new playlist and everything. I think I was around mile 20 in the race when I realized that I had never even turned it on. Sometimes you just get in the zone.
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Well done! ;) Could you post a link to the routine you use? YouTube has too many hits on "Yoga for Runners - Post workout"

I haven't landed on a favorite yet, but so far I've done these (and add in a few of my own stretches)

Yoga for Runners by Adriene - 7 Minute Post Run
    6-Minute Post Workout with Adriene <--this one wasn't as good as the other two
    Quick Effective Post Run stretch route <--video quality isn't that great but the stretches felt amazing.

Perhaps someone who has been doing this longer than me could chime in with their favorite free youtube video for post run yoga?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Go to Courses, then Create Course, then select the type of route (Running or Trail Running). There you can name your route, set your distance, and initial direction. Then it takes you to a map of where you are. Touch the map where you want to start and it churns away and comes up with a route. I just tried a 13 mile road route and it spit back a 13.76 mile route. The route it came up with seams to be ok.

I tired this for road running. Entered 15 miles and the route it gave me was 17.35 miles. It also mapped several miles along a couple of small narrow roads that are heavily traveled and don't have sidewalks. I've never seen anyone running on these roads so I don't think it uses the heat map generated by runners in this area.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I occasionally put headphones in, if I'm on a not very exciting route, where I want to get some distance in and need some motivation (ie. something to forget I'm still running). But my headphones are designed to allow in ambient noise. I also make a point of acknowledging other runners/cyclists/walkers when I have them in.

I've never worn them in a race,and don't need them for pacing, but then my pacing is non-existent anyway.

Over here, most races that involve road crossings would ban them, or where safety may be an issue (randy cows or sheep). Road races generally are on closed roads, not that I'd know.

Possibly for my upcoming race it's because of the elk...

http://www.jaspernationalpark.com/jnpwbios.html
  • Teresa502
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »

I would not want to run across one of those - or those big horn sheep!
  • Teresa502
    Options
    February 3 – 13.1 miles
    February 4 – 6 miles
    February 5 – 5 miles
    February 7 – 5 miles
    February 9 – 7 miles

Got up 15 minutes earlier this morning to get 7 miles in before work. Started at 4:45 am. Thankfully, I met up with a group of 4 other ladies so that helped get me out of bed and going this morning. Rain is in the forecast for all weekend here. Beats the snow any day though! I’m with you @lporter229 – ready for winter to be gone. Glad I have a trip to Florida at the end of the month although several days next week we’re supposed to have 65F degree days here in Virginia.

Upcoming Races:
    February 24-25 – Gasparilla Amber Challenge (15K & 5K on Saturday; Half Marathon on Sunday)
    May 6 – Pittsburgh Half Marathon

exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

I would not want to run across one of those - or those big horn sheep!

Not gonna lie, I saw someone try to pet one of the sheep once (yes, really...). It headbutted him and he flew back several feet to land in a very undignified position. Fourteen year old me thought it was hilarious...

forty something me would find that hilarious too :D
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    02/01/18 - 3.8 miles
    02/02/18 - Cross train // Les Mills //
    02/03/18 - 8 miles
    02/04/18 - REST
    02/05/18 - 3 miles
    02/06/18 - 3.25 miles
    02/07/18 - 2.3 (5 x 400 + warmup and cooldown)
    02/08/18 - 2.5
    02/09/18 - REST

MTD: 21.8 miles
    FEB GOAL: 80 miles

YTD: 113.8 miles
    2018 GOAL: 1000 miles

Upcoming (and hopeful) Races:
    02/10/18 - Mardi Crawl 10k
    04/14/18 - Rattler Mad Moose 10k (Trail)
    06/02/18 - Gluten free Gallop 5k (hubby and daughter have Celiac so this one's personal)
    06/23/18 - Slacker Half Marathon
    07/xx/18 - Something on a trail TBD
    09/23/18 - Xterra Mountain 8k (Trail)
    10/28/18 - Kooky Spooky 10k
    11/xx/18 - A Turkey Trot 5k of some sort TBD

Race day tomorrow means rest day today. I sure am tired! I can't quite tell if it's my vitamin D deficiency creeping up on me again (this time last year I had a similar feeling-crappy-for-no-good-reason issue that turned out to be a severe vitamin D deficiency). I've revved up the supplements again, but obviously it's not a quick fix. I also got a Mirena a few weeks ago, which could account for feeling "off." Who knows. I've taken to eating at maintenance for a while and making sure I take my vitamins and we'll re-assess in a few weeks.

Either way, I could be racing tomorrow in the snow. It will definitely be cold-ish. In the 20's at race time. No matter, because I've trained for that, plus I look pretty awesome in my balaclava. Come at me, snow.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I sometimes run with headphones and sometimes not. On the trail, never. There's just too much my head needs to focus on to have other noise in my ear. Mindless, flat runs, I enjoy having tunes, and I'll run with them during a road race and so far it's been allowed at all my races. I have two "true wireless" earbuds, so I usually just run with one side in.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    This was my first ever time running 10K!

W00T! Congrats!

Yes! WOOT indeed! I love the 10k distance.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I can and have run without headphones for long distances (hours), though mainly those were times when I had tech difficulties (batteries esply). But ever since I discovered Audible books... I have not been without my headphones by choice during training.

For races it really depends. If it is a short race (under an hour) and I am pushing hard for time, I will leave the books off, but still play the pace. For longer races, I start or stop the book pending on the environment, and if there are fellow runners that are chatting with me.

If a race said I could not run with them, I likely would not sign up. But that has never happened to me. :)

I run 90% of my training on open roads, some very busy, so that is no different for me on race day. *shrugs* running is a pretty personalized sport. Each has to do what works best for them. :)