WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR FEBRUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed food at my Ladies Lunch yesterday, not going to stress about it and will improve today. The speaker we had after lunch was really entertaining, she collects clothing from different eras and concentrated on twenties and thirties. Some of the fabrics were gorgeous, She has all her mothers and aunts stuff from the twenties, jewellry, shawls, dresses, handbags and shoes; even photos of them wearing some of the outfits.

Have an appointment later for free hearing check, I had to wait until my ears were syringed as they were full of wax. My hearing is not too bad (I hope) but no harm checking, and hope it will encourage DH to get his checked as he is much worse than me. It's the one thing we have spats about as he accuses me of mumbling when he doesn't hear, we are increasingly having to have the subtitles on TV. Men hey what would you do with them.

Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Rori fantastic! I would be gleeful tossing paper into the shredder too! Enjoy the countdown any way you can.
    Hope you have a pic or two to share from the cruise <3

Sue so horrible that you fell, one of my big fears. Glad nothing's broken but take care and heal up fast.

Joyce I'm so glad you went to sing/hum in the choir, it brings you and others such joy, and wow driving in the deep freeze to get there, you are devoted.

Roads are still icy so luckily we have a delayed opening, I can slowly drive to school and have some instructional time with students. Luckily February is a short/fast teaching month, in comparison to January which is endless! But, my March, April, May and June are just like being on the Autobahn in Germany--speedy and tricky! Heading to the gym after work.

NYKAREN
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Morning, all...

Rori! So good to see you posting again - and I so understand that 20 days feels like forever when you're ready... We're about a hundred days out from taking our next step, and it feels like an eternity away. So glad you had fun in Mexico, and a gap year sounds like just the thing.

Joyce - so glad you were able to go to choir, and always glad to see you posting. Don't fret about typos. We love seeing your posts.

Allie - 60/40 Tom does not sound equitable at all to me. Tom can join my ex-son-in-law and sperm donor to my grandson in the crapweasel section. They can talk about all the evil women in their lives. Give them something to do.

Karen
    - Olivia has grown so much! Love seeing pictures of the grands...

Sue in WA - glad nothing was broken! Sounds pretty danged awful, still.

Wendy - I had to replace my frozen drink habit somehow, and have developed a slight addiction to sugar-free Jell-O gelatin. Been very helpful. :)

In one month, I'll finally see my primary care physician here. I had contemplated talking my way into knee replacements here, but the mills of the VA grind exceeding slow. Meaning I'll be waiting until we get to Arkansas, and get my stuff transferred to the VA there. And I'll have to start all over again. That's annoying, but it's better than trying to recover from knee replacements when I live at the top of the stairs here. We'll be looking for a ranch-style house to rent when we get where we're going, and until we can find the place we want to buy.

Kinda blah morning. I know better than to let stalls on the scale bother me. Nonetheless, they do. And broke down and had two of the kids' granola bars last night. Extremely satisfying, but way off the mark. If there is one thing I miss, being here, it's being able to control my food environment. Impossible in a house with kids, pretty much. I am careful to keep no food whatsoever in our living area upstairs, but the kitchen is a minefield of temptation.

Okay, time to get to work. We have two grant agreements from 2016-17 missing, which I'm pretty sure are in my predecessor's files in Odessa, as she kept few electronic copies. With no exaggeration, there are easily a million pieces of paper to look through, and I can't do that to the office coordinator there. So I'll be humbling myself to the foundations and asking them to send copies. Grrf.

Welcome to our new folks - glad you're here! This thread is so much more than just weight loss and fitness. Sharing our lives, our joys, and our troubles here, it's a community like no other I've ever found.

Off to the races,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I didn't even have the courage to look at Rita's pic of that animal....lol. On the subject of the refrigerator, remember that it's really only plugged in for a few weeks/year. this isn't how refrigerators are normally used. Actually, the salesman told us (when we told him we unplugged it due to power surges) commented that yes, it can be a double edged sword, tho. That prevents power surges from affecting the refrigerator. BUT it also means that the freeon isn't going thru out the refirgerator, lubricating it. He did suggest that we keep it plugged in, but fill a few jugs with water 1/2 way and keep that in the freezer. So we'll give that a try. Speaking of which, the refrigerator repairman just called. Seems he had a few cancellations and it'll be here sooner than they expected. Which I don't have a problem with.

Joyce - so glad you went to choir practice even if you couldn't sing

Wendy - you had me scared when you spoke of heroin. Phew! You were just making a comparison. I used to have a really, really bad addiction to sugar. Then one day I decided to try to conquer it. Whenever I had the urge to have sugar, I took a swig of vinegar and if I still wanted the sugar, then I'd have it. I never had the urge for sugar after the swig of vinegar. I admit, I went thru A LOT of vinegar. You might want to give this a try.

Kate - I tend to get a lot of earwax. That's how they found the tumor. I thought my diminished hearing was just wax build-up in my ear. But it turned out that it wasn't. So I do hope you husband gets his ears checked out. Hoping that's the problem

Off to the Y

Michele in FL now

Poor Vince is having warm diet root beer and donuts for breakfast. Oh well.....
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    NYKaren I took your lead yesterday and used micro-actions to get some annoying things done, and it worked really well! I got some burdensome overdue tax & financial obligations finished up. Was so stoked I pushed through and went to the self-serve post office last night and mailed it all off. Still have the detritus, but will do some shredding and recycling today to make a dent in the fallout.

Rori Lovely to see your post. I think I will start shredding files and tossing crapola at work, too. I am certainly not 20 days from retirement like you are, but it will give me joy to shred & recyle obsolete papers and make empty drawers for someone else to use.

Beth Bacitracin OTC won't hurt your eye unless the tube becomes contaminated. But there is a prescription Bacitracin Ophthalmic which comes in a tiny tube and has a softer consistency.

(((Hugs))) to all those injured or hurting.

We did video-chat with Olivia on her birthday yesterday. She waved, played peek-a-boo, blew kisses, and showed us her toys, which she then threw, one by one, onto the floor. She's got an arm on her! :D:D:D

Karen in Virginia
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Rori - So happy to hear you and your DH had a great time on the cruise! Oh, I remember so well how the time dragged when I gave my retirement notice. I spent those 2 weeks purging and shredding old files and just "f*arting around" >:) Hey, what were they going to do...fire me? Kind of freeing after being miss "busy-nose-to-the-grindstone" for ten years, lol.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Rori, welcome back! So glad you had a wonderful vacation. Pictures? I’m so happy for you that your have decided to retire. I think a “gap year” is a great idea and one I plan to have when I retire. Only 1,080 days left. lol

Barbie, must feel good to have your fur babies home.

Joyce, your nephew sounds like a great person now that he has turned his life around. That is so good to hear. I also talk to my mom all the time and as I’ve posted before, when I can’t find something I ask her to find it for me and a short time later I will find the thing I was looking for. Allie, I’ve put her on the task of helping find the will. Watched what I think is the most recent This is Us and cried through pretty much the whole thing. It’s a great show.

Wendy, deep breaths. I use to have a Big Mac once in a while but now they really make my acid reflux act up so I’m not really tempted to get one. Hooray for acid reflux!

Kate, our tv keeps getting louder. I find it easier to use head phones. We watch a lot of British shows and it’s hard for me to understand sometimes because of the accent. I just not used to it. It’s kind of nice when we watch something in Spanish as it has subtitles. Of course, DH is a native speaker so it’s no problem for his and he can draw while listening to it.

Rye, sorry you are still not feeling well. I use Nivea cream on my nose and it never gets red. You must faithfully put it on every time you blow your nose. Ramble all you want. We are here to listen.
    4z158xm7aacj.jpg

Lisa in NC, I can understand why it would be hard food wise when you are not in your own house and have temptations all around you. Good for you deciding not to have any food in your upstairs area.

Karen, I’m so happy we have video chatting now.

Beth, I image that hearing loss is difficult. On the bright side, I’m sure there are people you are glad you can’t hear. Lol Good for you for eating better yesterday.

Well storm came and went and didn’t dump too much snow. About 10 inches. Which is plenty. It is cloudy today and looks like it might snow again.

I think I’ve finally talked my daughter into getting a flu shot. She has no insurance, but I think her pharmacy gives free ones. She said she would check it out. I told her with school she can’t afford to miss any classes due to being sick. DH is still coughing so I suggested he go back to the dr. He said he would make an appointment for next week. He probably will as he is good about that.

Down .2lbs this morning. Less than a lb away from my goal of being under 200 before my birthday on Monday. It’s doable so I’m working hard at it.

Well that’s about it for now. Better get back to work. ((HUGS)) to all just because.

Terry in VT
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Oops here is the second half of my post.

Lisa in NC, I can understand why it would be hard food wise when you are not in your own house and have temptations all around you. Good for you deciding not to have any food in your upstairs area.

Karen, I’m so happy we have video chatting now.

Beth, I image that hearing loss is difficult. On the bright side, I’m sure there are people you are glad you can’t hear. Lol Good for you for eating better yesterday.

Well storm came and went and didn’t dump too much snow. About 10 inches. Which is plenty. It is cloudy today and looks like it might snow again.

I think I’ve finally talked my daughter into getting a flu shot. She has no insurance, but I think her pharmacy gives free ones. She said she would check it out. I told her with school she can’t afford to miss any classes due to being sick. DH is still coughing so I suggested he go back to the dr. He said he would make an appointment for next week. He probably will as he is good about that.

Down .2lbs this morning. Less than a lb away from my goal of being under 200 before my birthday on Monday. It’s doable so I’m working hard at it.

Well that’s about it for now. Better get back to work. ((HUGS)) to all just because.

Terry in VT
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
    w9l2q2zdwlri.jpeg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Well was up at 6 and because of icy roads went to my DD early to get the little miss on the bus..then down to feed DFIL who was chatting so much was very hard to get food in lol
    then went and let Homer and Chester out.. did talk to Tom last night about things and we were going to work things out,but told him to hold off and sent a proposal to my attorney to forward to his..I dont think we need a trial. If we can agree on things ..now my lawyer said his lawyer said he was going to retire before end of the year ..and he told me a few more years.. dont know who to believe, but will go to court Tuesday and ,hopefully get it worked out by then..
    About the will, guess we will have to go forward without one..have to get the bowl rolling somewhere..
  • beckyobryan153
    beckyobryan153 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Welcome, Tracy! This is day 4 for me and another late start. I had to drive DD to school which was 2 hours late because of all the ice. My steps are like a skating rink so I'll have to salt them soon. I'm actually looking forward to my workout routines. I may change it up next week and add Pilates and Tai Chi. Terry in VT, thank you for your encouraging words. And bwcetc, my doctor didn't find any trigger food either, although she suspects that I might be gluten sensitive. It was a tough 4 weeks. My emotions were on a rollercoaster and I would never know what would set me off. Glad to be done with it and back to normal. I have decided to eat cleaner, though.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Terry - good for you being so close to Onederland! Sorry to hear your DH is still coughing - this stuff just doesn't want to leave.

Wendy - Lisa - all of you who have been into the sugar and carbs - I was still at it last night! After being on pretty strict intermittent fasting and no sugar for a couple weeks, it's evident to me that the sugar/junk food/late eating absolutely contributes to night time sinus headache and morning upset tummy. Having lunch with a girlfriend today at a cute little spot that's very good about serving really good soups and sandwiches, quinoa salads, etc. We are lucky to have that place here in the midst of all the fast food joints.

Rori
    - I forgot to mention about your retirement... so, I'm rethinking my own with glee today. You made my morning, lol.

Regarding appliances
    - we haven't replaced the dishwasher yet and are also using it for storage. I do miss not having the super hot water for cleaning greasy dishes, but I still manage to do a good job washing them in the sink with plenty of suds.... just like when I was a kid. Stack them in the drainer for a few minutes and they are good to go.

Hearing loss
    - I prefer closed-captioned and have for the past few years. Accents are tough. I have severe tinnitus = hearing loss in my left ear especially. Have a hearing aid I wear sometimes and have also become fairly good at reading lips and word prediction - so Beth, I "hear" ya on this.

I had an MRI several years ago to see if there was a tumor on the auditory nerve because the hearing loss increased quickly - Michele, is that what you had?

No tumors - but ENT doc talked me into a hearing aid not only to be able to hear better out of that ear, but to cancel out the tinnitus.

When my sinuses aren't acting up, the hearing aid is too loud - I need to stop in and have it adjusted. Sadly, even when I wear it, I keep it turned off a lot. They aren't perfect and won't restore hearing to what it was decades ago.

Talking on the phone, on a landline to landline, is usually not a problem. I prefer email more and more though.

But to be able to hear a grandchild laugh and talk, or your spouse or loved one calling when they are in need - that's important.

Have a good Thursday everyone!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn. Using split view on Ipad.....only problem is setting it up. :/

Just over some type of virus here.4 wks of feeling yuck.Wasn’t flu,but was a close cousin! So glad to be back to normal.

Sorry to hear about kids having a rough time (always our children at any age)a worry for sure.I know more about alcohol than I ever wanted to know,due to my birth father being an alcoholic till he was in his 60’s.Lived in same town when we were growing up with our “real” Dad.

One of my faults is remembering too much & I do.

BETH,I think of you often.There is truly a law needed.How can we not insist on help for those needing it? No answer,but has to be a great worry. BTW,he sounds very smart.

ALLIE,your divorce has certainly been on the books long enough.Find it (hard to believe he keeps paying a useless lawyer)
    wondering if he will plead to having subpar help & try to start over?Perish the thought.Good thoughts to you.

Grdaughter & BF moved from Fl to NC last wk.He transferred with same company. She started working on a diff job wks ago & is all set to start the new job in a couple wks.Glad it worked out for them.

Looks like a rainy wk end coming.Free snow removal....

Had frittata & side of fresh asparagus. So good,going to make same thing today.

Have a nice Thursday....
    Pat in Ohio

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • beckyobryan153
    beckyobryan153 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I'm back from my workout. It was brutal today. Tomorrow's promises more of the same. Saturday is my yoga stretch for relaxation. Had steel cut oats for breakfast and I'm making a chicken sandwich for lunch. Baby carrots on the side. Pot roast for supper. So far, so good. I'll talk to y'all soon Take Care.