Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pizza Is a Healthier Breakfast Than Most Cereals

Options
saintor1
saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
Just in time for the Superbowl.

http://citnutritionally.com/pizza-healthier-breakfast-option-cereal/
https://www.thedailymeal.com/healthy-eating/pizza-healthier-breakfast-cereal
“You may be surprised to find out that an average slice of pizza and a bowl of cereal with whole milk contain nearly the same amount of calories,” explained Chelsey Amer, MS, RDN, CDN to The Daily Meal. “However, pizza packs a much larger protein punch, which will keep you full and boost satiety throughout the morning.”

She mentioned that pizza isn’t a health food per say; it’s certainly not your most nutritious option. But when compared with a quickly poured bowl of sugar flakes, it’s a more balanced meal.

“Plus, a slice of pizza contains more fat and much less sugar than most cold cereals, so you will not experience a quick sugar crash,” Amer confirmed.

As reported, most people eating cereals are using more than twice the normal serving.

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I read the article this week but I don't eat cereal too often (maybe two or three times a month) and when I do, I weigh the amount. I eat a couple of pizza slices maybe twice a year; no left overs in the house ever, and not the kind of food I would eat for breakfast anyway.

I am sure that pizza lovers will be very happy with this information. My kids used to love left over cold pizza for breakfast when they were young.

• Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, pizza is probably better than Cap'n Crunch. No surprises there.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Pizza isn't a specific food. It can be as varied as one's imagination.

I'd totally eat pizza for breakfast.

I love eating cold, left over pizza for breakfast.

Perfect on the go food for me when I have to leave the house at 6h in the morning and don't reach my destination until 8h... So yeah... convenient.

My current favorite is loads of veggies with feta. Comparing macros of that with cereals is... well... a bit unfair for those poor cereals. But, then again, when I have cereals, it tends to be the crunch factor in a Greek yogurt. This means that a single serving is more than enough for me and gives me a yummy 200kcal breakfast (which then requires are pumpkin seed roll at 10h or I starve by lunch :tongue: )

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have always thought of pizza is a good choice for food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love leftover pizza for breakfast, and I hate cold cereal and don't understand why anyone likes it (I know it's weird and I'm still bitter about having it forced on me too often as a kid -- not at home, but whenever staying at someone else's house so I had to choke it down with a smile to be polite). I love steel cut oats, though; I think it's a texture thing and that I only like oats warm.

Since we are suppose to be careful about only putting debate topics here, I am curious how this is a debate.

On the health thing, depends on the pizza, depends on the cereal, I suppose. Also on what fills you up, how many calories you want, and what you eat the rest of the day.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Correct the title to say some pizzas are healthier than some cereals.

"average slice of pizza" as most, not some as only a few.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh at this thread because when we go to the little town in southern Italy (Puglia zone) where my husband's parents were born, his brother and cousins always order durum grain pizza from the local bakery in the evening and then eat it for breakfast the next morning. I always thought it was strange--not a breakfast food. Now you've all changed my way of thinking about it--next time, I think I'll join them.
  • ShelbyLynnMFP
    ShelbyLynnMFP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That’s cool. I greatly prefer pizza to cereal- I like slice real but it’s so devoid of nutrients and substance that I can eat an entire box without feeling full.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    IDK what is meant by a "normal serving" of cereal, but both cereal and pizza can be part of a healthy diet. Eat what you prefer.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    IDK what is meant by a "normal serving" of cereal, but both cereal and pizza can be part of a healthy diet. Eat what you prefer.

Yeah my idea of a normal serving of cereal and the package interpretation of a normal serving are wayyyy different. Just like pasta. Lol.

My guess is a slice of pizza from a typical 16 inch pie will be more filling than a 3/4 cup / 30g serving of cereal...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Yeah my idea of a normal serving of cereal and the package interpretation of a normal serving are wayyyy different. Just like pasta. Lol.

My guess is a slice of pizza from a typical 16 inch pie will be more filling than a 3/4 cup / 30g serving of cereal...

Serving sizes on the package have little to do with what would be considered a normal serving. It's just whatever fits the number of fat, calories, fiber, etc. that the marketing department decides will look good on a label.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Serving sizes on the package have little to do with what would be considered a normal serving. It's just whatever fits the number of fat, calories, fiber, etc. that the marketing department decides will look good on a label.

Not in the US. In the US, serving size is determined by the average reported intake of certain types of foods. What they suffer from is the tendency of people to underestimate their serving sizes so they're not very accurate.

Serving sizes aren't determined by marketing departments, although they certainly can confuse things by putting pictures of very large servings on the front of a package (leading us to think that a huge bowl of cereal is the suggested serving size even when the label says something like 1/2 a cup).

• fionawilliamson
    fionawilliamson Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    pizza is the perfect food, breakfast, lunch or dinner :)