Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pizza Is a Healthier Breakfast Than Most Cereals

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Based on any scientific sources I've seen, any macro or kind of macro you eat while in a calorie deficit will not be converted to fat,

I don't think that is "technically" true. Food will be converted and stored as fat while in a deficit, but more fat will be required as fuel over a time period. So my lunch will turn into fat but over the course of the day, I will burn more fat than is stored. There will be a net fat loss, but as part of the process, some will be stored.

Back to lurking.

Correct. It's more accurate to say there's no net storage.

Over time, our bodies are in a continuous state of flux between anabolism and catabolism, deficit and surplus, lipogenesis and lipolysis, etc. Nutrients are either oxidized or stored, according to your body's needs. What determines the overall (i.e. long-term) result is energy balance. If, over time, you're taking in less energy than your body is expending, it taps into its reserves (storage) to meet those energy needs; if you're taking in more energy than your body needs, it stores the excess. Voila, weight gain or loss takes place.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    billym2018 wrote: »
    I think a lot of you misunderstood the direction of my post saying cereal was an all around healthier option. I was making a direct reply to the statement made by Chelsey Amer. Her argument was that pizza is a more balanced meal. My maybe not so clear point was that not all cereal or pizza is created equal so assume we are talking about the common pizza vs the common cereal. Bran cereals and whole grain cereals are common. Picking a healthy cereal is easier for the average person. You can find healthy choices with both. That’s a no brainer. I just didn't agree with her saying pizza is a more balanced meal. I see the words “balanced meal” and I think of digestion. Pizza is commonly tomato sauce, cheese, white bread and maybe processed meat. That’s mixing a lot of things that don't balance well in the digestive tract. I thought the whole point of a balanced meal was being able to absorb the most value from it...

I know we super moved on- but I was catching up with this- and I had to come back to this comment.

What in the actual fkery does this bolded part mean?

Voodoo diet science.

for one. Pizza is normally white flour, but closer to the whole wheat flour used for French/Italian bread as contrasted with the emaciated flour used in wonder bread.

Unless you're nitrate or acid sensitive, it's a great balanced meal.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of you misunderstood the direction of my post saying cereal was an all around healthier option. I was making a direct reply to the statement made by Chelsey Amer. Her argument was that pizza is a more balanced meal. My maybe not so clear point was that not all cereal or pizza is created equal so assume we are talking about the common pizza vs the common cereal. Bran cereals and whole grain cereals are common. Picking a healthy cereal is easier for the average person. You can find healthy choices with both. That’s a no brainer. I just didn't agree with her saying pizza is a more balanced meal. I see the words “balanced meal” and I think of digestion. Pizza is commonly tomato sauce, cheese, white bread and maybe processed meat. That’s mixing a lot of things that don't balance well in the digestive tract. I thought the whole point of a balanced meal was being able to absorb the most value from it...

I know we super moved on- but I was catching up with this- and I had to come back to this comment.

Voodoo diet science.

for one. Pizza is normally white flour, but closer to the whole wheat flour used for French/Italian bread as contrasted with the emaciated flour used in wonder bread.

I'm saying right?

The only part that's unbalanced for me is the whole 1 pizza = 1 serving.

Which is too many calories for me. But it's sort of the way I roll. So I have to be careful- but it's delicious. And we eat things that are mixed all the time- what's the big deal.
  • stanmann571
    edited February 2018
    Options

Voodoo diet science.

I'm saying right?

The only part that's unbalanced for me is the whole 1 pizza = 1 serving.

Which is too many calories for me. But it's sort of the way I roll. So I have to be careful- but it's delicious. And we eat things that are mixed all the time- what's the big deal.

It's an open faced baked sandwich :)

Makes me want to eat a grilled ham and cheese.... MMMM!! or maybe a BLT toasted(after the tomato and before the lettuce and mayo. Subway makes a great Toasted BLT
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Because of this thread I bought two frozen (ermagherd so bad for me because PROCESSED aka flash frozen from fresh) pizzas. They're really good Dr Oetker ones that are like 600 calories for the whole thing. Might have one for breakfast tomorrow in honour of this discussion.

As you were.

wait wut?
    there is a whole pizza out there that is only 600 calories?

I usually make my own- I do a lot less cheese and more sauce- and veggies with pepperoni- so I sort of cut myself some slack- but well the damn bread is high.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread I bought two frozen (ermagherd so bad for me because PROCESSED aka flash frozen from fresh) pizzas. They're really good Dr Oetker ones that are like 600 calories for the whole thing. Might have one for breakfast tomorrow in honour of this discussion.

As you were.

wait wut?

I usually make my own- I do a lot less cheese and more sauce- and veggies with pepperoni- so I sort of cut myself some slack- but well the damn bread is high.

My bad, I did the reading the nutrition info wrong thing. Well this is embarrassing. But it's still only maybe 900 calories for the whole thing which is still pretty good going.

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/DrOetker-Ristorante-Pizza-Funghi/47391011?ULP_CAMPAIGN_ID=52&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9Mbdk1xwj6MF5psQU7EdyWCMuwUiKvcafEdOggGS17Q6CU1tJ8_AWiQaAoqmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIPwtPfBltkCFU5FGwodRHkL0g
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are whole pizzas that are less than 600 calories. Of course, as well as the varying ingredients, it depends on the size.
    Individual size pizza would be around that - Bakers Delight ( not sure if you have them in other countries?) are less than that, I eat them regularly. One pizza is meant for one person.

I like pizza but doesn't appeal to me for breakfast.
    My kids used to eat left over pizza slices for breakfast sometimes though.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Another thought I want to return to. The cinnamon thing. How does that work?
  • JoRocka
    Options
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

As you were.

wait wut?

My bad, I did the reading the nutrition info wrong thing. Well this is embarrassing. But it's still only maybe 900 calories for the whole thing which is still pretty good going.

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/DrOetker-Ristorante-Pizza-Funghi/47391011?ULP_CAMPAIGN_ID=52&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9Mbdk1xwj6MF5psQU7EdyWCMuwUiKvcafEdOggGS17Q6CU1tJ8_AWiQaAoqmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIPwtPfBltkCFU5FGwodRHkL0g

There are some that are less than 900.

Gimmeee a minute while I check my freezer.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Pepperoni one is 210 per 1/4 pizza. I'm out of the Capicollo so off to google.

170 per 1/4 pizza, and it is also my favourite. Need to go to Walmart and get more. They are $3 Cdn each.

http://www.oetker.ca/ca-en/our-products/ristorante-ultra-thin-crust/capicollo/capicollo.html
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I’d argue against that and in favor of cereal being in all around healthier choice for mornings or afternoons. What do you think pizza is? I’m not being funny here. Really think about it. You have meat, tomato sauce and bread that is most often not whole wheat. The carbs from the bread alone cause a big insulin spike because carbs convert to sugar. Yeah.. the thing you said was bad about cereal is actually in pizza. Sugar is a tricky beast that you must out smart. It’s in the tomato sauce too btw. Here’s what you can do. Adding cinnamon to cereal mimics insulin in the body and helps lower the odds of a spike from the sugar. I don't recommend sugary cereals but at least with cereal you have options. Ever eaten whole wheat pizza? Me either.

Now the meat is a totally different avenue. If you eat meat for breakfast your body will need quite a few hours to digest that. Plan on eating soon after? That may not be a big concern to some but cereal has more flexibility. Chose bran cereals or whole wheat types for the fiber value. OVERALL. Cereal is the better choice to ensure you start and end your day right, fortifying your body with nutrients.

You do realise cereal is almost exclusively carbs right?

Wait, I missed the cinnamon nonsense. Well, almost all of it is nonsense but the cinnamon one is a new level of nonsense.

Why do you assume carbs are bad? I live an active lifestyle and enjoy carbs because they burn off as energy. The only bad carbs are simple carbs. Eating healthy grain cereals are complex carbs. There isn’t a negative draw to slow released energy or carbs unless you don't use them.

Explain to me why cinnamon being used to slow glucose absorption is nonsense?

Why are simple carbs bad?

Correction** simple carbs are bad if you are not being active. They are directly linked to visceral fat.

TIL: fruit is bad. And that all of the studies showing that mixed meals lower GL are wrong.

CoolGleefulGalago-max-1mb.gif
  • stanmann571
    Options

As you were.

wait wut?

Pretty sure that the mini singles are 500-700 calories. and that's a 3-4 incher...
  • stanmann571
    Options

First, you have to have the right cinnamon.

Yeah, there's 4 different kinds and each has different benefits and some include some risks.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ceylon-vs-cassia-cinnamon
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I’d argue against that and in favor of cereal being in all around healthier choice for mornings or afternoons. What do you think pizza is? I’m not being funny here. Really think about it. You have meat, tomato sauce and bread that is most often not whole wheat. The carbs from the bread alone cause a big insulin spike because carbs convert to sugar. Yeah.. the thing you said was bad about cereal is actually in pizza. Sugar is a tricky beast that you must out smart. It’s in the tomato sauce too btw. Here’s what you can do. Adding cinnamon to cereal mimics insulin in the body and helps lower the odds of a spike from the sugar. I don't recommend sugary cereals but at least with cereal you have options. Ever eaten whole wheat pizza? Me either.

Now the meat is a totally different avenue. If you eat meat for breakfast your body will need quite a few hours to digest that. Plan on eating soon after? That may not be a big concern to some but cereal has more flexibility. Chose bran cereals or whole wheat types for the fiber value. OVERALL. Cereal is the better choice to ensure you start and end your day right, fortifying your body with nutrients.

Wait, I missed the cinnamon nonsense. Well, almost all of it is nonsense but the cinnamon one is a new level of nonsense.

Why do you assume carbs are bad? I live an active lifestyle and enjoy carbs because they burn off as energy. The only bad carbs are simple carbs. Eating healthy grain cereals are complex carbs. There isn’t a negative draw to slow released energy or carbs unless you don't use them.

Why are simple carbs bad?

Correction** simple carbs are bad if you are not being active. They are directly linked to visceral fat.

Studies, please.

Sure, check out this study done on whole grains vs refined grains. Complex carb vs simple carb.
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/92/5/1165/4597531

All grains are complex carbs.

Fruit calories come from simple carbs (mostly).

Complex carb = starch.

Simple carb = fruit.

Potato, white bread, oats, beans, flour, french fries (although these include fat too) = complex.

Fruit, dairy, table sugar, pop = simple.

You can't generalize, some are nutrient dense foods, some are not.

Oops, correction to the above: I meant to write "simple carb = sugar." Must have had fruit on the brain ;-)

As long as you aren't mixing the fruit with meat, you should be fine.

Although that's a pity - because proscuitto wrapped melon is a lovely antipasti, and I make blueberry pancakes with bacon almost every weekend, and pork tenderloin in a blackberry reduction is fantastic....

I think I just figured out my Saturday menu!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11506060/
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Dude, you didn't even know where to easily get lean protein, I don't think you can be up here trying to school us on carbs, insulin and nutrition. And you have displayed a deep misunderstanding of how the human body deals with each of the macros and the food content of those macros.

Who do you think you are to make that judgement? I don’t believe you have any authority to say what I should and shouldn’t have an opinion on..
    VintageFeline, if you don’t understand something just be honest. You don't have to poke fun at me for being honest about not understanding weight loss. I understand insulin because I have a insulin problem. What do you do when you have a problem? You figure it out. Sheesh. Attitude.

I didn't say you couldn't have an opinion but you don't get your own facts. I am basing my assessment of you on the posts you have made so far. Fancy reading back through my history to see if I have a vague idea what I'm talking about?

I don’t care about how much respect you have earned posting in the forum. Bringing up my other post is flat out rude and disrespectful. This post is a debate. If you are right about something I will agree. If I feel differently I will say so and give reason. That is all I have done. I’m not going to go through looking for comments you’ve made to make a snap judgement about what you may or may not know. That’s just wrong and childish.

You would do better in debate bringing facts.

Bringing opinions is like entering a duel unarmed. The outcome is you leaving naked, afraid, and at least one undesired hole.