Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pizza Is a Healthier Breakfast Than Most Cereals

Options

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Quaker Corn Squares :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I snack on dry cereal when I want to get my iron target up. But I never liked it in milk and that hasn't changed.

Yup - dry Cheerios and Corn Flakes are my go to snacks.

Choco Krispies in Greek yogurt :wink:

I ewed this when I saw it.
    Now I'm wondering if rice crispies would act like granola in my yogurt for me. It's the only reason I eat granola- give me yogurt some texture. now I'm going to have to try.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Why didn't anyone tell me were were having a cereal love fest over here?? :lol: Golden Grahams for me, but I have no control around them and therefore they are on my 'do not buy' list :disappointed:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Why didn't anyone tell me were were having a cereal love fest over here?? :lol: Golden Grahams for me, but I have no control around them and therefore they are on my 'do not buy' list :disappointed:

Marshmallow Fruit Loops for me. Cannot buy. Will eat an entire box in a day.

pbuahv43t2fi.jpg
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I snack on dry cereal when I want to get my iron target up. But I never liked it in milk and that hasn't changed.

Yup - dry Cheerios and Corn Flakes are my go to snacks.

Choco Krispies in Greek yogurt :wink:

I ewed this when I saw it.
    Now I'm wondering if rice crispies would act like granola in my yogurt for me. It's the only reason I eat granola- give me yogurt some texture. now I'm going to have to try.

I actually crumble up Special K Protein and put it on top of my Greek yogurt. If I use a half serving it gives me another 5g of protein - and I could do a whole serving for 10g protein for I think 120 calories. It adds nice crunch to it! I also have used Whole Grain Total crumbled up on my yogurt too. Fewer calories but very little protein and not as tasty as the Special K which has a hint of cinnamon.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    my mom was an avid tennis player and sport enthusiast - she agrees that pizza is "healthy", as in nutritious. If my mom said it's ok.... it must be! Mother knows best.

But, I love cereal, Cinnamon Life is my favorite - cereal is the best when you're hungover.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I have quite a few that I love to have for a snack:

Golden Grahams (probably the one of the only ones, along with Super Golden Crisp, that I enjoy with milk and it's a heaping bowl!)
    Super Golden Crisp
    Froot Loops
    Fruity Pebbles (I have eaten an entire box in one day)
    Lucky Charms
    Cap'n Crunch Crunchberries
    Honeycomb
    Frosted Flakes
    Special K Vanilla Almond ( I could actually eat 1/2 box in one sitting)

I have a long standing relationship with sugary sweet cereals.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks, generally speaking (not counting granola because holy calorie bomb Batman), that cereal is pretty good volume wise for the calories? I can have a giant bowl of say Cheerios for not ridiculous calories. Not saying it fills me up especially but if I want to scratch the cereal itch it's not hard to fit in.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks, generally speaking (not counting granola because holy calorie bomb Batman), that cereal is pretty good volume wise for the calories? I can have a giant bowl of say Cheerios for not ridiculous calories. Not saying it fills me up especially but if I want to scratch the cereal itch it's not hard to fit in.

Made the mistake of buying the two-box Costco bundle of Cheerios. Maybe had two bowls out of them. The un-opened box went to charity and the open box got tossed in the trash. I'd rather eat Styrofoam (or tide pods).

But to each their own.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Made the mistake of buying the two-box Costco bundle of Cheerios. Maybe had two bowls out of them. The un-opened box went to charity and the open box got tossed in the trash. I'd rather eat Styrofoam (or tide pods).

But to each their own.

I went for Cheerios because a lot of my favourites would be unrecognisable to the American majority here. I post with the international nature of the forums in mind. I'm good like that. In reality I don't so Cheerios, I go for far more exciting aimed at kids cereal!
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I eat cereal every single morning. The same exact thing - 1 1/2 cups of original Cheerios, 1 banana cut up on it and 1 cup skim milk. I measure it out too.

I wish I could eat pizza for breakfast every day. Or every meal for that matter. It's almost impossible for me to eat a normal serving of pizza though. It's a trigger food, for sure.

Yep. I could eat 4 large slices for dinner, then be back down in an hour or so grabbing one or two more. It's my favorite food, but unfortunately I have no self control when it comes to pizza.

I did pick up a little mini pizza from MOD pizza last week. That worked out ok as there weren't any additional slices in the fridge to get into afterwards :)

Pizza for me = not meeting my calorie goal for the day :neutral:
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    then why are Len and Larry cookies not one serving?

because one cookie in a package in theory should equal one serving- and it's not.

Reference value for a cookie is 30g. Remember, labels are designed to be comparable across similar products of different brands.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    billym2018 wrote: »
    I’d argue against that and in favor of cereal being in all around healthier choice for mornings or afternoons. What do you think pizza is?

I'm pretty familiar with what it is, I make it at home sometimes. (I also like restaurant pizza, though, especially some local Italian places.
    I’m not being funny here. Really think about it. You have meat, tomato sauce and bread that is most often not whole wheat.

Mine doesn't have meat, I mostly don't like meat on pizza even when I'm eating meat, but actually that's one reason pizza can be harder (for me) to fit in, as it's lower protein than my usual meals.

Other than that it typically has wheat flour (I use whole wheat when making it at home, but it's not that big a difference), tomato sauce, some olive oil, some cheese, and (the ones I make AND the ones I order) plenty of vegetables. I might have a side salad too (although not when having it for breakfast).

Not really any different from pasta (except I tend to add a big more protein to pasta and less cheese).

Re the cereal comparison: more vegetables, more fat, both have carbs. More calories, but you can compensate by having fewer calories later. Even if I didn't hate cold cereal (and as covered above, I do, I don't understand how anyone can enjoy it), it would be a bad meal for me, as it's not got a variety of macros and a single bowl would be lower cal than I like for breakfast (I'm assuming milk, but still, and also I don't like to use calories on milk).
    The carbs from the bread alone cause a big insulin spike because carbs convert to sugar. Yeah.. the thing you said was bad about cereal is actually in pizza.

Who is "you"? And yeah, of course both have carbs, carbs aren't actually bad. (Cereal can be all starchy carbs or a combo of starch and sugar -- what would make it bad for me (in addition to me not liking it) is that it's mostly carbs. Pizza has fat and protein.
    Sugar is a tricky beast that you must out smart.

Oh?
    It’s in the tomato sauce too btw.

Tomatoes, like fruit and veg in general, have sugar, yeah. So? (I'm assuming homemade tomato sauce, as I use and any good restaurant would use, but frankly the sugar in jarred sauce thing is way oversold anyway -- tomatoes have sugar and they might add a bit additional but you can find ones where that is at minimum, I understand.)
    Here’s what you can do. Adding cinnamon to cereal mimics insulin in the body and helps lower the odds of a spike from the sugar. I don't recommend sugary cereals but at least with cereal you have options. Ever eaten whole wheat pizza? Me either.

Yeah, I eat it all the time. (It's not much different nutrition-wise, but I like it, and like whole wheat pasta with a spicy tomato sauce and olives -- both of which I typically use on pizza -- too.

You are way more scared of insulin spikes than I think most people need to be, btw. Insulin isn't evil, it helps with muscle building, but if you eat mixed macro meals that include protein, fat, and fiber, no real concern about "spikes" anyway, at least not for most.
    If you eat meat for breakfast your body will need quite a few hours to digest that. Plan on eating soon after?

What?

I mean, I don't generally eat soon after a meal, why would I? I like meals that fill me up until the next meal. But this idea that you can't eat right after having meat is confusing. What if I eat meat WITH something? How did I lose weight frequently eating dessert after dinner (I ate meat at dinner)?

I am limiting meat currently due to my own ethical issues with it, but when dieting I had meat with breakfast quite a lot -- smoked salmon with a vegetable omelet. Who knew that was bad?
    Cereal is the better choice to ensure you start and end your day right, fortifying your body with nutrients.

What if you hate cold cereal and consider it a waste of calories? Still a good choice?

Also, I seriously doubt anyone has pizza as their regular normal breakfast, I think you took this too literally.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I eat leftover pizza for breakfast!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal with orange juice *ducks*

I will never, ever understand the demonisation of pizza - Sure, it's bread. Just bread. If it has sugar in it (which many bread doughs don't), it's a starter amount to get the yeast off to a good start. The carbs in pizza dough get processed the same way as carbs in cereal (pro tip - all carbs convert to glucose).

Then sauce, meat, cheese, veggies...

Even if the sauce does have sugar in it, it's not "tricky" or hiding, its an ingredient. People have been putting sugar into canned tomato sauce for as long as they've been canning things. Depends whose Nonna you get the recipe from sure, but *shrug*, its just an ingredient.

Meat, cheese, veggies... Pizza is actually an all around well balanced meal (if you order it that way, I suppose).

Sugar. 1 teaspoon full (~20kcal for a 4 serving portion...). Balances out the slight acidity of the tomatoes. Add a touch of oregano. Heavenly!