Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pizza Is a Healthier Breakfast Than Most Cereals

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    pizza is the perfect food, breakfast, lunch or dinner :)

amen.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    IDK what is meant by a "normal serving" of cereal, but both cereal and pizza can be part of a healthy diet. Eat what you prefer.

Yeah my idea of a normal serving of cereal and the package interpretation of a normal serving are wayyyy different. Just like pasta. Lol.

My guess is a slice of pizza from a typical 16 inch pie will be more filling than a 3/4 cup / 30g serving of cereal...

Serving sizes on the package have little to do with what would be considered a normal serving. It's just whatever fits the number of fat, calories, fiber, etc. that the marketing department decides will look good on a label.

Not in the US. In the US, serving size is determined by the average reported intake of certain types of foods. What they suffer from is the tendency of people to underestimate their serving sizes so they're not very accurate.

Serving sizes aren't determined by marketing departments, although they certainly can confuse things by putting pictures of very large servings on the front of a package (leading us to think that a huge bowl of cereal is the suggested serving size even when the label says something like 1/2 a cup).

I'm not saying that I disagree but I'm not sure that this is entirely accurate? I've seen too many snack foods recently where the recommended serving size was exactly one ounce for it to be coincidence. I'm guessing that the surveys used to collect information on serving size are multiple choice?

If so, then the determined serving sizes are absolutely the average of the responses but those responses are somewhat pre-determined by potential answer choices made by the survey administrator to make the data easier to tabulate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    IDK what is meant by a "normal serving" of cereal, but both cereal and pizza can be part of a healthy diet. Eat what you prefer.

Yeah my idea of a normal serving of cereal and the package interpretation of a normal serving are wayyyy different. Just like pasta. Lol.

My guess is a slice of pizza from a typical 16 inch pie will be more filling than a 3/4 cup / 30g serving of cereal...

Serving sizes on the package have little to do with what would be considered a normal serving. It's just whatever fits the number of fat, calories, fiber, etc. that the marketing department decides will look good on a label.

Not in the US. In the US, serving size is determined by the average reported intake of certain types of foods. What they suffer from is the tendency of people to underestimate their serving sizes so they're not very accurate.

Serving sizes aren't determined by marketing departments, although they certainly can confuse things by putting pictures of very large servings on the front of a package (leading us to think that a huge bowl of cereal is the suggested serving size even when the label says something like 1/2 a cup).

I'm not saying that I disagree but I'm not sure that this is entirely accurate? I've seen too many snack foods recently where the recommended serving size was exactly one ounce for it to be coincidence. I'm guessing that the surveys used to collect information on serving size are multiple choice?

If so, then the determined serving sizes are absolutely the average of the responses but those responses are somewhat pre-determined by potential answer choices made by the survey administrator to make the data easier to tabulate.

Here is an explanation (from Wikipedia): "The FDA defines the "Reference Amounts Customarily Consumed" (RACC) tables used by food manufacturers to determine the serving size on the Nutrition Facts Panel, and the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Services labels.

The nutrition facts label is designed to give consumers important nutritional information about a product and allow comparisons with other food. The serving size indicates the amount of food for which the nutrition information is shown. RACCs were established by regulation in 1993 in response to the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act and were based on how much food people typically eat, balanced with desired portion size. Ice cream is the classic example where the RACC is 1/2 cup, but people more often consume more."

The data used is old, like from the 70s and 80s, and this also tends to skew serving sizes smaller.

One important thing to note is that for smaller containers, food companies are encouraged to list it as a single serving if a consumer might "reasonably" consume it all at once (like a 20-ounce bottle of soda), but this is optional and most food companies don't do that (because it looks more reasonable if that 20 ounces is a couple of servings). But this is for smaller containers, it doesn't extend to food companies being able to change cereal serving sizes just because a marketing department prefers a smaller serving.

Again, not arguing that this is accurate or that serving sizes are reasonable (I think most of us in the game of measuring food would argue that they're not!), but it's more complex than just a marketing game being played with consumers.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I was getting a posting error when I tried to put the link for the Wikipedia article in that post, so here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serving_size

Here is another source: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2010/01/this_pint_of_ben_jerrys_is_four_servings.html
  • JoRocka
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Here is an explanation (from Wikipedia): "The FDA defines the "Reference Amounts Customarily Consumed" (RACC) tables used by food manufacturers to determine the serving size on the Nutrition Facts Panel, and the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Services labels.

The nutrition facts label is designed to give consumers important nutritional information about a product and allow comparisons with other food. The serving size indicates the amount of food for which the nutrition information is shown. RACCs were established by regulation in 1993 in response to the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act and were based on how much food people typically eat, balanced with desired portion size. Ice cream is the classic example where the RACC is 1/2 cup, but people more often consume more."

The data used is old, like from the 70s and 80s, and this also tends to skew serving sizes smaller.

One important thing to note is that for smaller containers, food companies are encouraged to list it as a single serving if a consumer might "reasonably" consume it all at once (like a 20-ounce bottle of soda), but this is optional and most food companies don't do that (because it looks more reasonable if that 20 ounces is a couple of servings). But this is for smaller containers, it doesn't extend to food companies being able to change cereal serving sizes just because a marketing department prefers a smaller serving.

Again, not arguing that this is accurate or that serving sizes are reasonable (I think most of us in the game of measuring food would argue that they're not!), but it's more complex than just a marketing game being played with consumers.

then why are Len and Larry cookies not one serving?

because one cookie in a package in theory should equal one serving- and it's not.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Just in time for the Superbowl.

http://citnutritionally.com/pizza-healthier-breakfast-option-cereal/
    https://www.thedailymeal.com/healthy-eating/pizza-healthier-breakfast-cereal
    “You may be surprised to find out that an average slice of pizza and a bowl of cereal with whole milk contain nearly the same amount of calories,” explained Chelsey Amer, MS, RDN, CDN to The Daily Meal. “However, pizza packs a much larger protein punch, which will keep you full and boost satiety throughout the morning.”

She mentioned that pizza isn’t a health food per say; it’s certainly not your most nutritious option. But when compared with a quickly poured bowl of sugar flakes, it’s a more balanced meal.

“Plus, a slice of pizza contains more fat and much less sugar than most cold cereals, so you will not experience a quick sugar crash,” Amer confirmed.

As reported, most people eating cereals are using more than twice the normal serving.

For me yes as when I eat cereal I want a mountain of it. Fill that bowl up, bb.

It's a really sad moment when you weigh your cereal and discover what an actual "serving" (as listed on the box) is. Almost as sad as a "serving" of peanut butter.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

“You may be surprised to find out that an average slice of pizza and a bowl of cereal with whole milk contain nearly the same amount of calories,” explained Chelsey Amer, MS, RDN, CDN to The Daily Meal. “However, pizza packs a much larger protein punch, which will keep you full and boost satiety throughout the morning.”

She mentioned that pizza isn’t a health food per say; it’s certainly not your most nutritious option. But when compared with a quickly poured bowl of sugar flakes, it’s a more balanced meal.

“Plus, a slice of pizza contains more fat and much less sugar than most cold cereals, so you will not experience a quick sugar crash,” Amer confirmed.

As reported, most people eating cereals are using more than twice the normal serving.

It's a really sad moment when you weigh your cereal and discover what an actual "serving" (as listed on the box) is. Almost as sad as a "serving" of peanut butter.

I don't really eat cereal- but yeah- nothing hurts worse than the first time you measure out what 33 grams of peanut butter *Actually* looks like.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

because one cookie in a package in theory should equal one serving- and it's not.

My understanding: If the package is small enough that one could "reasonably" assume a person would eat it all at once but it's technically more than one serving based on the RACC ("Reference Amounts Customarily Consumed" from the database), then the food company is "encouraged" but not required to list it as one serving. But because it looks better to have a smaller calorie number, many companies don't choose to do this and that's why you have things like 2.5 servings of soda in a 20-ounce bottle and, of course, a single cookie that is listed as two servings.

But this loophole only applies to smaller packages, it wouldn't come into play for an entire box of cereal (the original example). And it doesn't allow food companies to massage serving sizes on larger packages of food either.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

The first time I weighed out granola my mind was *blown.* I haven't bought it since.
  • JoRocka
    Options

My understanding: If the package is small enough that one could "reasonably" assume a person would eat it all at once but it's technically more than one serving based on the RACC ("Reference Amounts Customarily Consumed" from the database), then the food company is "encouraged" but not required to list it as one serving. But because it looks better to have a smaller calorie number, many companies don't choose to do this and that's why you have things like 2.5 servings of soda in a 20-ounce bottle and, of course, a single cookie that is listed as two servings.

But this loophole only applies to smaller packages, it wouldn't come into play for an entire box of cereal (the original example). And it doesn't allow food companies to massage serving sizes on larger packages of food either.
    interesting- I don't know anything about this at all- but interesting- I can tell you- I was so stabby when I flipped them over and saw the serving size. they make such a big deal about the cookies -and ONLY XXX calories per serving -and protein and bla bla bla.
    *kitten*- it's a regular cookie- and the serving size is TWO- so it's like 300 effing calories.

Team Optimum Cake Bites.

The first time I weighed out granola my mind was *blown.* I haven't bought it since.

I use granola on my yogurt because all in all yogurt is gross- so I sprinkle some on top- I get sad thinking about how much it really isn't. Granola was never meant to be "health" food though- so I can't complain to much.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

interesting- I don't know anything about this at all- but interesting- I can tell you- I was so stabby when I flipped them over and saw the serving size. they make such a big deal about the cookies -and ONLY XXX calories per serving -and protein and bla bla bla.
    *kitten*- it's a regular cookie- and the serving size is TWO- so it's like 300 effing calories.

Team Optimum Cake Bites.

I use granola on my yogurt because all in all yogurt is gross- so I sprinkle some on top- I get sad thinking about how much it really isn't. Granola was never meant to be "health" food though- so I can't complain to much.

Len and Larry's cookies are one of the most egregious "offenders" in this regard, IMO. They list the calories for a half cookie, but the protein and fiber stats on the front are for a whole cookie. I am pretty tolerant about stuff like this, but I feel like their practices verge on the deliberately deceptive.

The first time I bought one, it didn't even occur to me that they'd expect me to eat half a cookie so, of course, I ate the whole thing (and I'm usually really good at catching label information). Fortunately I wasn't that thrilled with the taste, so I don't have to worry about it . . .

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

....but...but granola is so healthy!

I think this was my epiphany moment as well. I has little issue with portion control over "unhealthy" products, but calorie bombs like granola just blew my mind when I started weighing and budgeting.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I think this was my epiphany moment as well. I has little issue with portion control over "unhealthy" products, but calorie bombs like granola just blew my mind when I started weighing and budgeting.

Yep. Granola was taken off my grocery list, for sure.

Between this thread and the competition coach thread, I really want pizza now!
  • JoRocka
    Options

Team Optimum Cake Bites.

Len and Larry's cookies are one of the most egregious "offenders" in this regard, IMO. They list the calories for a half cookie, but the protein and fiber stats on the front are for a whole cookie. I am pretty tolerant about stuff like this, but I feel like their practices verge on the deliberately deceptive.

The first time I bought one, it didn't even occur to me that they'd expect me to eat half a cookie so, of course, I ate the whole thing (and I'm usually really good at catching label information). Fortunately I wasn't that thrilled with the taste, so I don't have to worry about it . . .

They were trying to hard to be a "health" cookie that wasn't. There was one of them that I liked- but yeah- no- trying to hard and to many calories. Like I said I reach for the cake bites. safer choice.

Yep. Granola was taken off my grocery list, for sure.

Between this thread and the competition coach thread, I really want pizza now!

AGREED! except - it's only Tuesday. :(
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Another one who took granola (and pretty much all cereal) off the shopping list. I really thought it was better than Fruit Loops. It was when I got a food scale and realized how far off the cup vs grams was and looked at the calories I had been eating based on using the cup measurement that I really got ticked off.

Hmmm. Maybe I should see if my Dad wants to go for pizza tonight. The calories don't count if I'm with my 86 yr old dad, right?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Another one who took granola (and pretty much all cereal) off the shopping list. I really thought it was better than Fruit Loops. It was when I got a food scale and realized how far off the cup vs grams was and looked at the calories I had been eating based on using the cup measurement that I really got ticked off...

Fiber One is the only cereal on my shopping list. I eat 30g of it (weighed) almost every morning with my Greek yogurt. It helps bulk it up and only 60 calories for the serving - which is a reasonable serving when mixed with yogurt. 30g of it with just milk wouldn't even be worth the effort.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I snack on dry cereal when I want to get my iron target up. But I never liked it in milk and that hasn't changed.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I snack on dry cereal when I want to get my iron target up. But I never liked it in milk and that hasn't changed.

Yup - dry Cheerios and Corn Flakes are my go to snacks.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Yup - dry Cheerios and Corn Flakes are my go to snacks.

Choco Krispies in Greek yogurt :wink: