Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pizza Is a Healthier Breakfast Than Most Cereals

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    billym2018 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I’d argue against that and in favor of cereal being in all around healthier choice for mornings or afternoons. What do you think pizza is? I’m not being funny here. Really think about it. You have meat, tomato sauce and bread that is most often not whole wheat. The carbs from the bread alone cause a big insulin spike because carbs convert to sugar. Yeah.. the thing you said was bad about cereal is actually in pizza. Sugar is a tricky beast that you must out smart. It’s in the tomato sauce too btw. Here’s what you can do. Adding cinnamon to cereal mimics insulin in the body and helps lower the odds of a spike from the sugar. I don't recommend sugary cereals but at least with cereal you have options. Ever eaten whole wheat pizza? Me either.

Now the meat is a totally different avenue. If you eat meat for breakfast your body will need quite a few hours to digest that. Plan on eating soon after? That may not be a big concern to some but cereal has more flexibility. Chose bran cereals or whole wheat types for the fiber value. OVERALL. Cereal is the better choice to ensure you start and end your day right, fortifying your body with nutrients.

You do realise cereal is almost exclusively carbs right?

Wait, I missed the cinnamon nonsense. Well, almost all of it is nonsense but the cinnamon one is a new level of nonsense.

Why do you assume carbs are bad? I live an active lifestyle and enjoy carbs because they burn off as energy. The only bad carbs are simple carbs. Eating healthy grain cereals are complex carbs. There isn’t a negative draw to slow released energy or carbs unless you don't use them.

Explain to me why cinnamon being used to slow glucose absorption is nonsense?

Why are simple carbs bad?

Correction** simple carbs are bad if you are not being active. They are directly linked to visceral fat.

Studies, please.

Sure, check out this study done on whole grains vs refined grains. Complex carb vs simple carb.
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/92/5/1165/4597531

First line:

Background: Observational studies have linked higher intakes of whole grains to lower abdominal adiposity; however, the association between whole- and refined-grain intake and body fat compartments has yet to be reported.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I’d argue against that and in favor of cereal being in all around healthier choice for mornings or afternoons. What do you think pizza is? I’m not being funny here. Really think about it. You have meat, tomato sauce and bread that is most often not whole wheat. The carbs from the bread alone cause a big insulin spike because carbs convert to sugar. Yeah.. the thing you said was bad about cereal is actually in pizza. Sugar is a tricky beast that you must out smart. It’s in the tomato sauce too btw. Here’s what you can do. Adding cinnamon to cereal mimics insulin in the body and helps lower the odds of a spike from the sugar. I don't recommend sugary cereals but at least with cereal you have options. Ever eaten whole wheat pizza? Me either.

Now the meat is a totally different avenue. If you eat meat for breakfast your body will need quite a few hours to digest that. Plan on eating soon after? That may not be a big concern to some but cereal has more flexibility. Chose bran cereals or whole wheat types for the fiber value. OVERALL. Cereal is the better choice to ensure you start and end your day right, fortifying your body with nutrients.

Wait, I missed the cinnamon nonsense. Well, almost all of it is nonsense but the cinnamon one is a new level of nonsense.

Why do you assume carbs are bad? I live an active lifestyle and enjoy carbs because they burn off as energy. The only bad carbs are simple carbs. Eating healthy grain cereals are complex carbs. There isn’t a negative draw to slow released energy or carbs unless you don't use them.

Dude, you didn't even know where to easily get lean protein, I don't think you can be up here trying to school us on carbs, insulin and nutrition. And you have displayed a deep misunderstanding of how the human body deals with each of the macros and the food content of those macros.

Who do you think you are to make that judgement? I don’t believe you have any authority to say what I should and shouldn’t have an opinion on..
    VintageFeline, if you don’t understand something just be honest. You don't have to poke fun at me for being honest about not understanding weight loss. I understand insulin because I have a insulin problem. What do you do when you have a problem? You figure it out. Sheesh. Attitude.

I didn't say you couldn't have an opinion but you don't get your own facts. I am basing my assessment of you on the posts you have made so far. Fancy reading back through my history to see if I have a vague idea what I'm talking about?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I’d argue against that and in favor of cereal being in all around healthier choice for mornings or afternoons. What do you think pizza is?

I'm pretty familiar with what it is, I make it at home sometimes. (I also like restaurant pizza, though, especially some local Italian places.
    I’m not being funny here. Really think about it. You have meat, tomato sauce and bread that is most often not whole wheat.

Mine doesn't have meat, I mostly don't like meat on pizza even when I'm eating meat, but actually that's one reason pizza can be harder (for me) to fit in, as it's lower protein than my usual meals.

Other than that it typically has wheat flour (I use whole wheat when making it at home, but it's not that big a difference), tomato sauce, some olive oil, some cheese, and (the ones I make AND the ones I order) plenty of vegetables. I might have a side salad too (although not when having it for breakfast).

Not really any different from pasta (except I tend to add a big more protein to pasta and less cheese).

Re the cereal comparison: more vegetables, more fat, both have carbs. More calories, but you can compensate by having fewer calories later. Even if I didn't hate cold cereal (and as covered above, I do, I don't understand how anyone can enjoy it), it would be a bad meal for me, as it's not got a variety of macros and a single bowl would be lower cal than I like for breakfast (I'm assuming milk, but still, and also I don't like to use calories on milk).
    The carbs from the bread alone cause a big insulin spike because carbs convert to sugar. Yeah.. the thing you said was bad about cereal is actually in pizza.

Who is "you"? And yeah, of course both have carbs, carbs aren't actually bad. (Cereal can be all starchy carbs or a combo of starch and sugar -- what would make it bad for me (in addition to me not liking it) is that it's mostly carbs. Pizza has fat and protein.
    Sugar is a tricky beast that you must out smart.

Oh?
    It’s in the tomato sauce too btw.

Tomatoes, like fruit and veg in general, have sugar, yeah. So? (I'm assuming homemade tomato sauce, as I use and any good restaurant would use, but frankly the sugar in jarred sauce thing is way oversold anyway -- tomatoes have sugar and they might add a bit additional but you can find ones where that is at minimum, I understand.)
    Here’s what you can do. Adding cinnamon to cereal mimics insulin in the body and helps lower the odds of a spike from the sugar. I don't recommend sugary cereals but at least with cereal you have options. Ever eaten whole wheat pizza? Me either.

Yeah, I eat it all the time. (It's not much different nutrition-wise, but I like it, and like whole wheat pasta with a spicy tomato sauce and olives -- both of which I typically use on pizza -- too.

You are way more scared of insulin spikes than I think most people need to be, btw. Insulin isn't evil, it helps with muscle building, but if you eat mixed macro meals that include protein, fat, and fiber, no real concern about "spikes" anyway, at least not for most.
    If you eat meat for breakfast your body will need quite a few hours to digest that. Plan on eating soon after?

What?

I mean, I don't generally eat soon after a meal, why would I? I like meals that fill me up until the next meal. But this idea that you can't eat right after having meat is confusing. What if I eat meat WITH something? How did I lose weight frequently eating dessert after dinner (I ate meat at dinner)?

I am limiting meat currently due to my own ethical issues with it, but when dieting I had meat with breakfast quite a lot -- smoked salmon with a vegetable omelet. Who knew that was bad?
    Cereal is the better choice to ensure you start and end your day right, fortifying your body with nutrients.

What if you hate cold cereal and consider it a waste of calories? Still a good choice?

Also, I seriously doubt anyone has pizza as their regular normal breakfast, I think you took this too literally.

I’m happy for you. Enjoying pizza with vegetables definitely makes a big healthy difference to the usual. When I said “you”, I was referring to the debate originator or person quoted Chelsey Amer.
    Tomato’s are a source of healthy sugar but I was referring to store bought pizza. Not your homemade pizza. If everyone reading takes a moment to check their freezer pizza for some kind unnatural sugar listed on the back you may be surprised to see sugar. I personally do care about insulin spikes and I mentioned it because I thought it was valuable to those that do care. Actually mixed macro meals lead to a blood pressure rise. It’s a significant spike.

If you are someone that is interested in digestive health then yes you'd want to wait sometime after eating protein. Like say fruit and meat, those do not mix well. The sugar in the fruit ferments in you stomach.

Mixed macro meals? Aren’t most meals mixed macro? A meat, starch and vegetable, often cooked in some fat is a pretty standard dinner. I can’t think of many meals that aren’t mixed macro that I eat, at least not any intentionally...

Do you have any studies showing that the dinner I had tonight with pasta, chicken, spinach, zucchini, Parmesan cheese, a touch of cream and some chicken broth would cause my blood pressure to spike? Significantly?

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Correction** simple carbs are bad if you are not being active. They are directly linked to visceral fat.

Studies, please.

Sure, check out this study done on whole grains vs refined grains. Complex carb vs simple carb.

First line:

Background: Observational studies have linked higher intakes of whole grains to lower abdominal adiposity; however, the association between whole- and refined-grain intake and body fat compartments has yet to be reported.

So did you only read the first line because that was to make a statement about what is currently known. Reading further shows the results of an experiment that links the two and is what is leading into new discovery on simple carbs.

It concluded with correlation not causation, it was entirely self reported with the participants asked to answer questions based on their previous years consumption. It's not even close to determinative.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ...I genuinely feel bad for people who believe there is such a difficult fine line to walk every time they eat.

The word "orthorexia" springs to mind.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Studies, please.

First line:

So did you only read the first line because that was to make a statement about what is currently known. Reading further shows the results of an experiment that links the two and is what is leading into new discovery on simple carbs.

It concluded with correlation not causation, it was entirely self reported with the participants asked to answer questions based on their previous years consumption. It's not even close to determinative.

I feel like you’d make a good lawyer. Okay, there is a correlation between simple carbs and visceral fat. I think we can agree being inactive and eating lots of simple carbs calories would be a bad thing though.

Fixed it for you.

Answer me this: What are complex carbs ultimately digested/metabolized into in the body?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I was referring to store bought pizza. Not your homemade pizza. If everyone reading takes a moment to check their freezer pizza for some kind unnatural sugar listed on the back you may be surprised to see sugar.

Why are you assuming certain kinds of cereal (whole grain, no added sugar, lots of fiber) and certain kinds of pizza (frozen grocery store, nothing on it but tomato sauce, cheese, and pepperoni or whatever)? Seems like a way to bias the argument.

I doubt anyone has pizza for breakfast regularly (vs. once in a while), but it's silly to say either is better inherently -- depends on the pizza, the cereal, the day as a whole, the person's goals.
    I personally do care about insulin spikes and I mentioned it because I thought it was valuable to those that do care. Actually mixed macro meals lead to a blood pressure rise. It’s a significant spike.

Most people have no reason to care about insulin spikes, though.

My blood pressure is fine despite pretty much every meal I ever eat being mixed macro. I think most people eat mixed macro meals without it giving them dietary problems. Most traditional ways of eating seem to involve mixed macro meals. I think the most satisfying meals are a combination of macros (for most people). For me this means having a source of protein (usually plant based these days, but I lost all my weight eating lots of eggs, dairy, and meat), and lots of vegetables (themselves inherently mixed macro) at every meal. I also like to include some fat with each meal, so...

Some of the healthiest foods are inherently mixed macros, like nuts. Greek yogurt is too. A vegetable omelet. A sweet potato and black bean chili with kale.
    If you are someone that is interested in digestive health then yes you'd want to wait sometime after eating protein. Like say fruit and meat, those do not mix well. The sugar in the fruit ferments in you stomach.

Where are you getting this?

Of course, the last thing I'm worried about is eating right after breakfast (I suppose if you ate plain cereal some would want to eat again right away, but then it's not a good breakfast for you). But this idea that meat (or other protein) must be eaten alone makes 0 sense to me. Kind of a problem too in that my major source of protein lately is beans and lentils (which are inherently mixed macro). Tofu is mixed macro too.