Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,162 Member
    Options
    Ten year government study going on about the benefits of moderate drinking.... funded by guess who? The alcohol industry!

From the article:
    It was going to be a study that could change the American diet, a huge clinical trial that might well deliver all the medical evidence needed to recommend a daily alcoholic drink as part of a healthy lifestyle.

That was how two prominent scientists and a senior federal health official pitched the project during a presentation at the luxurious Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach, Fla., in 2014. And the audience members who were being asked to help pay for the $100 million study seemed receptive: They were all liquor company executives.
    'The presentations gave the alcohol industry an opportunity to preview the trial design and vet the investigators. Indeed, the scientist leading the meetings was eventually chosen to head the huge clinical trial.

They also made the industry privy to pertinent details, including a list of clinical sites and investigators who were “already on board,” the size and length of the trial, approximate number of participants, and the fact that they could choose any beverage. By design, no form of alcohol — wine, liquor or beer — would be called out as better than another in the trial."

Most of the cost of this government trial, however, is being picked up by five of the world’s largest alcoholic beverage makers — Anheuser-Busch InBev, Heineken, Diageo, Pernod Ricard and Carlsberg.

“We know that industry funding not only affects the results of studies but affects the questions that are asked, how the results are analyzed and what the answers are,” said Dr. Adriane Fugh-Berman, a professor of pharmacology at Georgetown University and director of Pharmed Out, a group that researches drug marketing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/health/nih-alcohol-study-liquor-industry.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/health&action=click&contentCollection=health&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Happy Birthday @dbanks80

Thank you soooooo much!!! The celebration is just beginning I am going to Vegas to celebrate and I am just going to put it out there that I will be DRUNK!!!! LOL!

I am celebrating my 50th.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    @dbanks80 I see it's your birthday from @erikNJ
    Happy birthday! Hope today was happy and full of love and laughter.

Thank you!!! Love you!!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday @dbanks80
    @dbanks80 I see it's your birthday from @erikNJ
    Happy birthday! Hope today was happy and full of love and laughter.

1pf0dv821sps.jpg

From me too!!.. wish u all the best !! :)

Thank you!!!
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is how to join...but I'll give it a go.
    I enjoy wine. White wine. I'm working on avoiding any alcohol during the week. It's tough because some days I just want a glass.

Welcome to the AF community. I am just like you. Enjoy my wine. See I even call it mine. :) I am trying to be AF through the week as well.
  • missanne11
    missanne11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Unexpected snow day here in Ohio! Just watching some Annie Grace videos and Stop Drinking Expert videos (Craig Beck) for inspiration. Here's one about the brain and how long it takes for you to feel better after quitting. How long do you think ?
    Annie Grace and this expert say
    1) notice the incremental changes
    2) keep an anxiety journal - score yourself in the morning and evening on a scale of 1-10 of how anxious you feel
    3) going back to drinking after abstaining (which I did this weekend) takes you a few steps back.

P.s. I dont regret my St. Pat's drinking adventure; however, I do feel anxious this week and like I let myself down. There is a nagging feeling to drink alcohol that came back this week that had disappeared.
    I think after 4 weeks, I'll be back on track again. But it's going to be a climb. I'll do fine. But too bad I set myself back emotionally. Xo

https://youtu.be/499ajGowVqM
    Unexpected snow day here in Ohio! Just watching some Annie Grace videos and Stop Drinking Expert videos (Craig Beck) for inspiration. Here's one about the brain and how long it takes for you to feel better after quitting. How long do you think ?
    Annie Grace and this expert say
    1) notice the incremental changes
    2) keep an anxiety journal - score yourself in the morning and evening on a scale of 1-10 of how anxious you feel
    3) going back to drinking after abstaining (which I did this weekend) takes you a few steps back.

P.s. I dont regret my St. Pat's drinking adventure; however, I do feel anxious this week and like I let myself down. There is a nagging feeling to drink alcohol that came back this week that had disappeared.
    I think after 4 weeks, I'll be back on track again. But it's going to be a climb. I'll do fine. But too bad I set myself back emotionally. Xo

https://youtu.be/499ajGowVqM

Loved watching her videos just now. Very insightful. Boredom is my main issue and also habit of old routine when hubby and I are together. Decided now to get busy every evening. Think I will enjoy. Just some soul searching what I need to do to occupy my time. Gym is great but that doesn't keep me busy enough. Well now going at some housecleaning. Long overdue. So happy to have found this group. I've cut back a lot since January sober group. Does help so much to reflect!

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday @dbanks80

Thank you soooooo much!!! The celebration is just beginning I am going to Vegas to celebrate and I am just going to put it out there that I will be DRUNK!!!! LOL!

Happy 50th! I LOVE Vegas!
    My wedding was in Vegas 5 years ago next month. Have a blast. How could you not in sin~city?!

• dbanks80
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday @dbanks80

Happy 50th! I LOVE Vegas!
    My wedding was in Vegas 5 years ago next month. Have a blast. How could you not in sin~city?!

I know!!! :D
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Buongiorno from Rome. I’m reading posts when possible. Enjoyed a lovely trip to wineries in the Chianti region and have joined the locals in their customary “spritz” (prosecco, aperol, and soda). I’m so glad to discover a new alcoholic favorite because I wasn’t quite struggling enough before.

I believe this moderate drinking has been part of an overall joyful experience. I’ve fallen in love with Italy, especially Florence.

The journey will begin again when I return Sunday. @JulieAL1969, anxiety and heart flutters are my negative responses, too. I was determined to be AF and there are so many good reasons for that. But being in a culture where I’m observing people incorporating alcohol into apparently happy, healthy lives makes me envious. Maybe our American culture just makes it too hard.

Best wishes to all with the weather. As I’m here my husband and his siblings are traveling from Cleveland, D.C., NC, and Austin to Phoenix for Indians spring training so I’m aware that weather is crazy everywhere including Europe.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    TammySalo wrote: »
    I would like to join this group! I have one drink a day, but I know that one is still holding me back.

Sure, join us! We are happy to have you. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Buongiorno from Rome. I’m reading posts when possible. Enjoyed a lovely trip to wineries in the Chianti region and have joined the locals in their customary “spritz” (prosecco, aperol, and soda). I’m so glad to discover a new alcoholic favorite because I wasn’t quite struggling enough before.

I believe this moderate drinking has been part of an overall joyful experience. I’ve fallen in love with Italy, especially Florence.

The journey will begin again when I return Sunday. @JulieAL1969, anxiety and heart flutters are my negative responses, too. I was determined to be AF and there are so many good reasons for that. But being in a culture where I’m observing people incorporating alcohol into apparently happy, healthy lives makes me envious. Maybe our American culture just makes it too hard.

Best wishes to all with the weather. As I’m here my husband and his siblings are traveling from Cleveland, D.C., NC, and Austin to Phoenix for Indians spring training so I’m aware that weather is crazy everywhere including Europe.

So happy you are having a joyful experience! Florence is gorgeous!
    Safe travels!