Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Options

Replies

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    My goal is more alcohol.

Which means that I might drink once every 10 days.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    My goal this month is 2 moderate drinking days (1 baby shower and 1 birthday party) no late night glasses of wine at home. I haven't keep wine in the house since January and it's helped a lot but I could still be doing better.

That's an intense goal!

Good job on not keeping it in the house : )
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I feel the less I think abt alcohol, focus on other things and options, I dont struggle as bad.

At the moment I'm finding food is taking its place on the social days. Like today being Sunday social day, wasnt good in that aspect. But im not giving up !!
  • Alzzi76
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    Hey there, I keep seeing this thread pop up and just really debated on whether I should comment or not. I am actually a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for a year and a half. I wanted to say hello and also add that since I’ve gotten sober, the sky is the limit with my health and fitness goals. I’ve never felt and looked better. So I commend all of you! I for one know it’s not easy :smile:

Hello , I really like your username B) it says alot in a few words. Very positive! (= and encouraging.
    Now days u feel u have to b drunk to b sexy. But alot falls on your head if u arnt aware and sober and make sensible decisions.

I am very pleaded you came in to this thread you are an inspiration to us. thank u for your post.

Hi, and thank you for your inspiration. I am about 2 months sober and I am really loving life so much more. I didn't realize how alcohol was costing me so much loss in my life. I am also feeling better, losing weight, and noticed today that I did look sexier! LOL! I had forgotten what my body used to be like before drinking. I am conquering health and fitness goals, and finding personal growth in so many areas.

I don't really even want to drink at this point in my life.-I don't want to ruin what I am living.

Thank you again for your sharing and congrats to you!!! :)

:smiley: Good on you!! Thats awesome!..
  • ulcaster555
    ulcaster555 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Last night, had my mom over for diner, and i had a few glasses of wine, in the end turns it my mom drank way more then me, even walked home tipsy(she lives 2 streets over), it was hilarious to watch my mom loaded walking away from side to side and saying'' i'm fine i'm fine'' :smiley:
  • Alzzi76
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Last night, had my mom over for diner, and i had a few glasses of wine, in the end turns it my mom drank way more then me, even walked home tipsy(she lives 2 streets over), it was hilarious to watch my mom loaded walking away from side to side and saying'' i'm fine i'm fine'' :smiley:

Awww,... :/ .. meanie.. :|

That reminds me of what i did to my old man. He had a scotch and Soda and he spilt it on the couch. So thought id be kind and pour him another. He took it and didn't say anything..
    Unknown to me he had finished it and it was mainly ice so in the end he had two.
    The sad and embarrassing thing was he could hardly stand up and had to be taken out to the car and driven home.
    I NEVER forget that. I felt so mean.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    it was hilarious to watch my mom loaded walking away from side to side and saying'' i'm fine i'm fine'' :smiley:

It sounds very sad

• ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options

I don't get the joke. Most of us have been there at one time or another and it wasn't fun or funny.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    I made it 82 days last year AF, and that was my longest streak in the past few years since I have been tracking. I previously made it to 55 and 59 days before. Anyway, I wish I hadn't had wine at my birthday in October 2017, as that set me back on the path of drinking wine again, pizza, and weight gain.

I'm on day 26 now, and I'm shooting for 100 days, but I'd like to keep going. Wine equals eating too much equals weight gain for me. It seems like I can't moderate. And as much as I love wine, it has to go if I want to lose weight and keep it off. Plus, most of my life's regrets are associated with alcohol. That should be enough motivation in itself, right? I am starting the Naked Mind, and will continue to stay in touch with this thread.

I just want other people who are out there reading this thread to know you are not alone!

Such a poignant reflection! Congratulations on day 26. That is amazing. You've worked through cravings successfully. Yes, most of my life's regrets and bad decisions are involved with alcohol. It's so nice waking up in the morning, without thinking poorly about what I did or said while I was drinking. I think some of us cannot moderate. I'm with you.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Such shameful memories started to flow in my mind. I stopped them quickly. We just cant dwell in the past.

@JulieAL1969 - You continue to inspire! Your comment made me think of so many of my own shameful memories that I almost physically flinched. But you're so right, we can't dwell on them and we need to move on. I know you're also right about people not regretting quitting alcohol. I don't know if I'm just more aware of them now, but suddenly seem to be hearing a lot of very scary stories about folks drinking to excess and the sometimes serious and awful consequences.

I've happy to say I'm having the most moderate weekend since my Dry January, at least so far. Two glasses of wine, one Friday and one Saturday. Probably one or two more tonight at a family dinner. I'm so happy with my new life that I'm having to stop myself from evangelizing about it to friends, which is pretty obnoxious, LOL!

Thanks! I giggled when you said you are having to stop yourself from evangelizing! Me, too. I was telling my friend how great I feel, and he stopped me and said, "I'm happy for you. But I don't ever want to quit." I replied that's fine with me. To each his own. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    OK, I'm in. I won't make my food diary public because I'm embarrassed by my daily martini intake. Last summer I went 2 months AF and felt great, slept better and didn't miss it. Not sure yet if I want to be completely AF or just damp, but I know it will be easier to keep to my daily diet goals without alcohol.

Just a thought: Make your food diary public and it may just be the tipping point towards moderating.
    May be good motivation knowing your friends can see your martinis total. Good luck! Happy you are in!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    xcjumper wrote: »
    Ok so I had 4 days in a row AF. Decided that I would try just one weekend day for wine and pizza. Well I felt awful this am and throughout the day. Maybe it's a coincidence and I just don't feel good but I'm just feeling done with it. No moderation for me.

Finished the Allen Carr book. Book review for those interested: I rate it as Meh. Maybe I just need to read it again. Basically, the gist of the book is we all are addicted with the first drink and that addiction is 1% physical and 99% mental. So you have to kill that mental part and there is basically no such thing as moderation.

Just ordered two more Kindle books. One is Alcohol Explained and one other one...can't remember the title. I'll let you all know how that one is since i know a bunch have already read Alcohol Explained.

I guess I'm different than most of you as I don't feel the need to explain why I'm not drinking when others are. If they ask, I will explain to those that I am friends with my reasons and the rest can just f@#$ off, lol!

Happy AF Saturday night folks!!

Ahhh that's awful to feel awful on a weekend. Today is a new day. Sometimes we just need to keep relearning these life lessons to make them sink in.
    I read about 2 percent of drinkers cannot moderate. There are several of us like that, too. Xo

• RubyRed427
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Just had a weepy discussion with my son. It concerned a high school friend of his, a gorgeous, talented artist with two teenage kids about my son's kids' age. He'd fallen out of touch with her, but about a month ago noticed a post by her on Facebook. She'd always been a beautiful woman but he was shocked at how awful she looked all of a sudden. She's in her mid 40s, but had developed a very bad drinking problem and looked like she was much older. And she didn't look healthy at all. A couple of weeks ago, she was driving while drunk, ran up on a sidewalk and killed someone. She will likely be in prison the rest of her life. My son and I talked about the truly awful ripple effects on her kids, the rest of her family, her friends and, most importantly, the person who's now dead and all of his family and friends. Both of us started crying while we were talking about it.

And it really drove home to me -- again -- how drinking to excess is completely incompatible with a healthy, safe, happy life. I'm moderating and handling it well right now, but hearing about something like that is enough to make you consider going completely AF.

That is so tragic and heartbreaking. Death, prison, guilt, shame, horror, sadness, loss of life, etc. All caused by a toxic poison that we all seem to enjoy and think we need to have a good time.
    Your story of your son's classmate is so eye-opening. It's a sobering tale:(
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    I am new to MFP and it sounds like this is a great group to join. After my college years and getting married I did not drink - 22 years later, a social drinker and now a stressed out social drinker. I used to run every morning and participated in some long races, and a few marathons for a good cause. I felt great - when training the weight came right off. Amazing. But now at age 50 plus, drinking is a great way to gain and gain I did. I gained about 45 pounds in two years. Uggggh! I am disappointed in myself and how I just let it creep up on me. I live in a climate where it is winter for about 3-4 months out of the year. Spring is now on the way....I have convinced myself to hit the road with a few miles, here and there and put in some Pilates and weight routines as well. Every morning when I wake I say - "Today I will not drink any alcohol...." However, by the end of the day - tada - there is my little friend....Ugh. So my goal is to get fit, change habitual thinking and drinking, and keep myself immersed is a different activity now that the weather is getting more pleasant. I am keeping a personal journal and realize it is a 'one day at a time' thing. . Changing habits and my way of thinking is going to be difficult - but I know I can do it. I looked up the calories in each drink / beer, etc. and WOWeee for what I am consuming it is additional calories and sugar I can do without. I need a different stress outlet - Running clears the mind and keeps the thinking fresh - that will be my focus this Spring. Consistency and determination. I may fall down to my own disappointment, but I refuse to stay down. I know this will get better. Life is a roller coaster for certain - it's great to know MFP has great people and support on line.

Love hearing from you. You are on the right track! Back to running and getting fit. Journaling is a wonderful tool for reflection. Read a lot of alcohol books, blogs, watch videos. Stay vigilant. It's a defensive game in a way. Many of us have armed ourselves with tea and Kombucha (spelling) and coffee and beautiful mocktails. We are here for you.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    3 days AF! Brain fog lifting. The last three years have been drenched. March will be dry. I'm unable to be moderate which has led to weight gain. At 52, over-drinking just feels embarrassing and undisciplined...

Last three years drenched! Me, too. Like a runaway train!
    I'm nearly 50 and am feeling like you that it's just becoming embarrassing that I can't hold my liquor or moderate. Great point!