Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Options

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969, it's so exciting to follow your journey. 62 days is amazing. I'm now entering the one-week countdown to my Italy trip. I am planning to have some wine in Italy . . . however, for me, I've learned that once I allow myself that "just one," the AF struggle really starts all over again. It's happened 3 times since Jan. 1. I know in my rational brain that just staying the heck away from alcohol makes the most sense for me. I will be really curious to hear how that St. Patrick's Day drink works out for you. I know my Tuscan wine means that when I get home, it will be "Here I go again," but I'm willing to do that. HOWEVER, I'm thinking this will be the last time I'm willing to do it. It's self-punishment, really. Those first 10-12 days or so are so hard, and I don't want to experience Groundhog Day any more. Like others here, I have come to love kombucha and really good teas. Plus, Perrier and grapefruit juice really tastes just as good as Perrier and grapefruit juice and vodka. But I'm just not willing to put myself through the agony of sitting in a Tuscan vineyard and drinking only acqua minerale while my sister-in-law sips Chianti. I hope that at least the mindfulness and decision-making are a step in the right direction from mindless, unexamined drinking.

I'm looking forward to my first AF Oscars night in many years. Have a good week, everyone!
  • Forgeahead2018
    Forgeahead2018 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can we look forward and imagine next year saying "It's been one year AF!!" This is very motivating for me.

@JulieAL1969 love your posts. Thanks for giving structure to this and initiating it.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969, it's so exciting to follow your journey. 62 days is amazing. I'm now entering the one-week countdown to my Italy trip. I am planning to have some wine in Italy . . . however, for me, I've learned that once I allow myself that "just one," the AF struggle really starts all over again. It's happened 3 times since Jan. 1. I know in my rational brain that just staying the heck away from alcohol makes the most sense for me. I will be really curious to hear how that St. Patrick's Day drink works out for you. I know my Tuscan wine means that when I get home, it will be "Here I go again," but I'm willing to do that. HOWEVER, I'm thinking this will be the last time I'm willing to do it. It's self-punishment, really. Those first 10-12 days or so are so hard, and I don't want to experience Groundhog Day any more. Like others here, I have come to love kombucha and really good teas. Plus, Perrier and grapefruit juice really tastes just as good as Perrier and grapefruit juice and vodka. But I'm just not willing to put myself through the agony of sitting in a Tuscan vineyard and drinking only acqua minerale while my sister-in-law sips Chianti. I hope that at least the mindfulness and decision-making are a step in the right direction from mindless, unexamined drinking.

I'm looking forward to my first AF Oscars night in many years. Have a good week, everyone!

Italy will be a beautiful trip! I will eagerly await the trip's details and your updates- which cities you love best? And everything in between!
    I totally agree about having to sit through a Tuscan experience not drinking wine. I would not resist either, I think.
    I'm sure we will all delight in hearing about it! And enjoy an AF Oscars evening with your kombucha!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    Yes, I am living my life again being AF instead of centering my life around alcohol!

@JulieAL1969 you have done an awesome job being AF these past few months and now March!!

Many are AF(me, too) and there are those having success moderating. Great job to all of us!!

I am hooked on Japanese Organic Sencha green tea! It is not even close to supermarket green tea. I had a great experience being showed how to exactly steep it at the shop. Great health benefits, including lowering cholesterol and belly fat and good for losing weight. The caffeine is way lower than regular coffee or black tea. 5 cups a day. Those 5 cups are equal to 1 cup of black tea or coffee (I can't remember which). So fun and delightful.

I also usually pour a diet Polar Half and Half with a couple of maraschino cherries and some of the pink juice in a glass when I get home from work. Half and half is grapefruit and lemon. Used to be glass after glass of wine, liquor or beer. So glad that life is done.

Preparing and sipping tea makes you live in the moment. A Zen moment. Xo I really would love to learn more about seeping and the other benefits of different teas. I'll start by learning more about your Japanese Organic Sencha tea!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Finally got an AF day yesterday. The two days previous were reduced by like half my usual. So maybe I can build on yesterday and make it to AF today.

@bocasdelgrandpabob - You did it! Many congrats. That is truly a victory. You CAN DO this.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »

when you are 95, all alone sitting in your living room with a tea, and they are all dead.....guess who will be laughing then

ok, this is my new favorite quote on this thread...
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Guys I am sooooo ready to start my healthy March now.
    At the airport about to fly home from my trip to North Carolina. It was an amazing time, and as a craft beer lover it was one of the beat places to go with such great friends and coworkers.

But I can tell you after such a healthy Jan and Feb my body hates what happened the past two days. We didn’t eat anything healthy and drank so much craft beer. My body has gotten used to vegetables and lean meats. And my one day a week I have been drinking light beer.

First win was in the airport right now. I said I can’t wait to go back to eating healthy and not drinking. Everyone laughed at me. Then they all walked in the airport bar to get beers. I am sitting at the gate with a bottle of water.

when you are 95, all alone sitting in your living room with a tea, and they are all dead.....guess who will be laughing then

Love this !
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I should have tried this staying sober thing in Obama Presidency

Lol. It took me a second to figure out where you were coming from with this comment.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    50 reasons why being sober is awesome!
    Good video from this young lady who lists all the benefits of being sober.
    The absolute most meaningful one for me was her 50th reason! You will love that reason, too.
    It's soooooo true!

https://youtu.be/uFe1a86Ibl8
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Can you tell I am not getting much of my grading (papers) done? I am watching these YouTube videos.
    https://youtu.be/kI-BhQGwDO8

This comedian/talk show person says a lot of poignant stories about being an alcoholic. He says it's a thinking problem. And certain types of people just can't drink. Worthwhile to listen to if you tend to not be able to moderate. It's a humorous, sad but hopeful video.