Drink More Water, Lose More Weight? YES!

Options

Replies

• SteviMcEwan
    Options
    Deleted: Somebody mentioned my next point on the next page of the topic.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Bloodyell!

I need a cuppa tea - I'm off to put the kettle on and run around in the rain till I'm wet.
  • carly_jansen
    Options
    Drinking water while reading this post LOL
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    ...ok

Hey, just so you know! Message boards and forums are on MFP for motivation and support. Support being the operative word. If you're going to be annoying/not contribute anything positive you should go hang out in any of the YouTube comments sections with the prepubescent and aggressive tweens. Thanks for playing, though! :]
    I disagree. The forums are not only for those in full agreement--and your comment about going to YouTube to hang out in the "comments section with the prepubescent and aggressive tweens" was FAR more negative than what this poster said.
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    I agree, drinking water is really important as most of our body is made up of it. I don't think you need to chug it until you feel physically ill...
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    ...ok

Hey, just so you know! Message boards and forums are on MFP for motivation and support. Support being the operative word. If you're going to be annoying/not contribute anything positive you should go hang out in any of the YouTube comments sections with the prepubescent and aggressive tweens. Thanks for playing, though! :]

I also would have to say "ok " and leave it at that.
    I appreciate the time and the effort you took to write your post, but fail to see any kind of reason why water is actually so important for weight loss.....except for personal anecdote and opinion......which I respect , but don't recognize as any kind of scientific/medical reasoning.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    And here's me thinking that to lose more weight I needed to create a calorie deficit.

At least I'm not drinking my calories...
  • bear20sp
    Options
    I'm a teacher, so I work it that I have to drink a bottle (0.5L) before first break, then again before second, break, and finally before I leave in the afternoon. That gets through 6 of the eight glasses a day, and it gets much easier knowing I just have two more to drink at home!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    No. Losing body fat is about energy in, energy out. Not water.

Drink when you are thirsty and you'll be fine. THAT is the current consensus in the scientific community, not the oft cited 8-10 glasses a day.

Your thirst mechanism is bang on unless something is wrong with you. You might need 3 gallons or you might need 3 glasses, depending on environment and activities.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I doubt drinking water makes you burn more fat. It might make you lose weight due to other factors.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Drink when you are thirsty and you'll be fine. THAT is the current consensus in the scientific community, not the oft cited 8-10 glasses a day.

Your thirst mechanism is bang on unless something is wrong with you. You might need 3 gallons or you might need 3 glasses, depending on environment and activities.
    From what I heard, you're already too late when you're thirsty. It's a sign of dehydration.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I agree! Water is the key. But remember this, your body is flushing out all the toxins from everyday life but be very careful because your electrolytes are being flushed too! So make it a point to take in some smart water or some electrolyte capsules, otherwise your body will start to cramp up. I have to take electrolyte capsules everyday for that reason, years ago people would take salt tablets but that's not enough. You are doing a great job and seeing the results-keep going.
  • pcastagner
    Options

From what I heard, you're already too late when you're thirsty. It's a sign of dehydration.

You heard wrong. That's outdated and false. Sometimes scientific "facts" are actually just bull**** someone made up that gets repeated so much everyone thinks it is true, and nutritionists and physicians especially love to spout this nonsense.

There is no known original research or source for any of these claims. It's completely made up!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I agree! Water is the key. But remember this, your body is flushing out all the toxins from everyday life but be very careful because your electrolytes are being flushed too! So make it a point to take in some smart water or some electrolyte capsules, otherwise your body will start to cramp up. I have to take electrolyte capsules everyday for that reason, years ago people would take salt tablets but that's not enough. You are doing a great job and seeing the results-keep going.

What makes you assume those "toxins" (which toxins exactly we will apparently never know) are water soluble?
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Water is critical for health; however, I would be careful about telling people to drink a gallon per day. Not everyone has healthy kidneys, which flush the water out - when kidney function is decreased, the blood becomes "diluted" and it throws your sodium balance off (called hyponatremia), also termed water intoxication (from too much "free water" that lack the solutes in our blood). The results of decreased kidney function and hyponatremia can result in death - yep, death. Often from cerebral swelling - first signs of this after drinking too much water are nausea, vomiting, headache, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, etc.

While I do agree with your recommendation to increase water intake, I would not encourage people to drink a gallon per day to lose weight, especially if they have underlying health issues. My recommendation would be to follow what most physicians & other healthcare practitioners recommend for people with healthy kidney function, which is the old standard 8-10 glasses (64-100 oz.) per day. I would also recommend that if people have any questions about how much water they should be consuming, they contact their physician or healthcare provider to discuss what is appropriate for them.

Important & wise point here ^^.

BTW I've always drank a lot of water and yet I got fat.
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My ex's new cat is pregnant. So after taking MY cat for the companionship, They now have 2 dogs, 3 cats of which one is pregnant. How's THAT for companionship?

On the upside, I'm going to London for 6 days 5 nights now on Wednesday, and I'm planning on having a LOAD of fun, without having to hire a pet-babysitter. It's gonna be EPIC!!!

Off topic you say? You mean... there's a topic here?

Cat_drinking_water_out_of_sink_GIF816.gif

I see the kitty has taken the OP advice :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking enough water to screw up your electrolyte balance you are either A: drinking way too much water or B: suffering from malnutrition. You should be able to get all the electrolytes you need from the food you eat. If you drink too much water and flush them out, the answer is to drink less water. If you're malnourished, then you really need to work on improving your nutrition.

The only exception would be certain medical conditions. If you need to taken electrolyte capsules, you're doing it wrong.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Interesting, if I divide the number of times 8-10 glasses a day is repeated by the number of actual papers with that finding, my calculator says "error".
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the water calculator - this is something I can use - Having too much water can be detrimental just as having too little water - Thanks again -

oh, and there is a nursing mother, you had mentioned climate, lets not forget medication, diabetes etc - Perchocet or the opiate family will suck you dry of your fluids -

Someone mentioned adding chili or lemon to the water - Lemon is acidic and it will help with cleansing and burning fat - however, water itself has properties - minerals and it actually has to be digested, also cleanses the body - I have heard of people adding fruit to their water for an added taste, like berries or watermelon or orange slices, but I had not heard of adding chili before - Is it good?

Lemon does what now?
    Come on now, that would just be silly. We all know that only green coffee beans, raspberry ketones and HCG burn fat.

To be fair, water *does* cleanse the body. In the shower.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the water calculator - this is something I can use - Having too much water can be detrimental just as having too little water - Thanks again -

oh, and there is a nursing mother, you had mentioned climate, lets not forget medication, diabetes etc - Perchocet or the opiate family will suck you dry of your fluids -

Someone mentioned adding chili or lemon to the water - Lemon is acidic and it will help with cleansing and burning fat - however, water itself has properties - minerals and it actually has to be digested, also cleanses the body - I have heard of people adding fruit to their water for an added taste, like berries or watermelon or orange slices, but I had not heard of adding chili before - Is it good?

Lemon does what now?
    Come on now, that would just be silly. We all know that only green coffee beans, raspberry ketones and HCG burn fat.

To be fair, water *does* cleanse the body. In the shower.
    NO! YOU ARE WRONG! 'Cause I think a construction worker hit a pipe or something. It's been yellowish for 2 days.