Drink More Water, Lose More Weight? YES!

Options

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I drank two cups of water while reading this entire thread. Now I have to pee and I want a brownie!

I've had two beers and half a pizza. Does this count as water?
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can over drink water. However, it is hard to do it unless you are in a crazy radio contest (this happened a few years back--a person died). Washing your salts out happens when you drink too much water in ****too short a period of time for your kidneys to clear it & keep your saline level correct****. FWIW, the kidneys can process about 15 liters (~4 gal) of fluid per day. That's at the top end, and even those staying very well hydrated should not get near it. That's an extreme amount of water. Rate of intake is important, as stated above. So don't chug a gallon in one setting. 1 - 1.5 gallons in a 24 hour period (more like 16 waking-hours)? Should be fine, IMO.

However, I'd be willing to be that the vast majority of people walking around in America today--and especially those "dieting," are chronically de-hydrated.

I was chronically de-hydrated my entire life, and suffered kidney stones. Once I started keeping myself hydrated, no kidney stones. I found that out on my own. ALL the urologists completely missed it and were too preoccupied with putting me on this pill or that special "calcium free" (before they knew any better) or "oxalate free" diet. But nobody bothered to check whether I was drinking enough clear water to keep everything flushed out and the oxalates at a low concentration.

So here's the deal: Why does drinking more water help you lose fat? It's because when you are de-hydrated, your whole body suffers. Your liver needs water to work. It is your liver that is doing the "burning" of fat (well, OK, your muscles do some direct conversion after the liver has claimed a glycerin from the triglycerides, but guess what? That requires water too.) Add to that equation that you have plenty of fat-soluble toxins stored away in your body fat. Start using that fat, and you are releasing those toxins, which must be filtered by the kidneys (which need water to do so) and secondarily, the liver (again, needing water).

If you work out a lot, you sweat a lot, and you should replace what you sweat.

EVERYTHING your body does metabolically requires being well hydrated. If you are de-hydrated, you are causing undue stress, slowing down your metabolism, and probably even throwing some hormones out of your favor. Water is to your body as oil is to an engine. It keeps everything moving along smoothly. Including digestion. Eating a healthy diet with lots of fiber? You better be drinking water. WebMD recommends ignoring the old (8) 8-oz glasses and going with 1/2 to 1 oz water per pound body weight per day. More if you work out more and/or live in a hot climate.
    Great post! I was going to add that people who abuse water generally get put in psych wards because they have damaged their brains from over drinking water. That being said ,they really have to work at it. They have ocd behavior and will even drink toilet water to satisfy this overwhelming compulsion. I think drinking a half gallon per day is pretty achievable for most people.

I also agree that most people are dehydrated especially the elderly. I once cared for an elderly lady who worked on a glass for a whole afternoon.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hyponatremia is a condition in which the body's stores of sodium are too low, and this condition can result from drinking extreme amounts of water.

Hyponatremia can lead to confusion, lethargy, agitation, seizures, and in extreme cases, even death. Early symptoms are nonspecific and subtle and may include disorientation, nausea, or muscle cramps. The symptoms of hyponatremia may also mimic those of dehydration, so athletes experiencing these symptoms may be given more water to drink, further worsening the condition.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can over drink water. However, it is hard to do it unless you are in a crazy radio contest (this happened a few years back--a person died). Washing your salts out happens when you drink too much water in ****too short a period of time for your kidneys to clear it & keep your saline level correct****. FWIW, the kidneys can process about 15 liters (~4 gal) of fluid per day. That's at the top end, and even those staying very well hydrated should not get near it. That's an extreme amount of water. Rate of intake is important, as stated above. So don't chug a gallon in one setting. 1 - 1.5 gallons in a 24 hour period (more like 16 waking-hours)? Should be fine, IMO.

However, I'd be willing to be that the vast majority of people walking around in America today--and especially those "dieting," are chronically de-hydrated.

I was chronically de-hydrated my entire life, and suffered kidney stones. Once I started keeping myself hydrated, no kidney stones. I found that out on my own. ALL the urologists completely missed it and were too preoccupied with putting me on this pill or that special "calcium free" (before they knew any better) or "oxalate free" diet. But nobody bothered to check whether I was drinking enough clear water to keep everything flushed out and the oxalates at a low concentration.

So here's the deal: Why does drinking more water help you lose fat? It's because when you are de-hydrated, your whole body suffers. Your liver needs water to work. It is your liver that is doing the "burning" of fat (well, OK, your muscles do some direct conversion after the liver has claimed a glycerin from the triglycerides, but guess what? That requires water too.) Add to that equation that you have plenty of fat-soluble toxins stored away in your body fat. Start using that fat, and you are releasing those toxins, which must be filtered by the kidneys (which need water to do so) and secondarily, the liver (again, needing water).

EVERYTHING your body does metabolically requires being well hydrated. If you are de-hydrated, you are causing undue stress, slowing down your metabolism, and probably even throwing some hormones out of your favor. Water is to your body as oil is to an engine. It keeps everything moving along smoothly. Including digestion. Eating a healthy diet with lots of fiber? You better be drinking water. WebMD recommends ignoring the old (8) 8-oz glasses and going with 1/2 to 1 oz water per pound body weight per day. More if you work out more and/or live in a hot climate.
    Great post! I was going to add that people who abuse water generally get put in psych wards because they have damaged their brains from over drinking water. That being said ,they really have to work at it. They have ocd behavior and will even drink toilet water to satisfy this overwhelming compulsion. I think drinking a half gallon per day is pretty achievable for most people.

I also agree that most people are dehydrated especially the elderly. I once cared for an elderly lady who worked on a glass for a whole afternoon.

Yeah, it was awesome.

Oh, except for the part about repeating as fact a figure with NO BASIS IN SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH.

Unless you have an underlying health condition affecting your ability to be thirsty, there is no reason whatsoever to drink 8-10 glasses every day. On days when you lose a lot of water, it's actually a recipe for dehydration.

Drink when you are thirsty. What a crazy idea!

Still waiting for the original source, or ANY RESEARCH WHATSOEVER which can be cited to back up the 8-10 8oz glasses of water a day figure. Nobody can cite it BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Read all 14 pages, thirsty now!!! :drinker:
  • kbug003
    kbug003 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm not really sure why most of you are being rude and childish, all she's doing is posting what has worked for her, obviously it's not meant for everyone because we all have different bodies, different ways to function.

Grow up, seriously.

Thanks for the post OP keep at it!
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I'm not really sure why most of you are being rude and childish, all she's doing is posting what has worked for her, obviously it's not meant for everyone because we all have different bodies, different ways to function.

Grow up, seriously.

Thanks for the post OP keep at it!

Ok...

You see, the thing is, the only reason for talking about what works for you is the underlying assumption (based in reality and backed up with empiricism, btw), that we pretty much all work the same way.

Upside: we can transmit useful information to each other
    Downside: it is possible to be wrong
    Upside: medicine
    Downside: it is possible to be wrong

See where I am going with this? Being all the same has huge advantages. When you drive your car, for instance, you can avoid running into other cars for the most part, even as you express your own individuality through locomotion.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Do you tell your cat or dog how much to drink and when to drink? They just know when and how much to drink. Humans have been around for centuries and many of the prior to being told we should drink 8 glass of water keep in mind we went through centuries in which water could kill you if you drank it. My point is humans are not so fragile that we need to drink water in excess to meet some guideline that many not be accurate for anyone. drink when you are thirsty; it seem to be a method that has worked through human existence.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I agree.

Drinking water is super important.

The first 3 or 4 days were hard for me but now (over a month in) I can drink water like crazy.

Haha, right? You feel like an Olympian water drinker. Good for you, man.

Maybe this should be an Olympic event.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Yeah, it was awesome.

Oh, except for the part about repeating as fact a figure with NO BASIS IN SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH.

Unless you have an underlying health condition affecting your ability to be thirsty, there is no reason whatsoever to drink 8-10 glasses every day. On days when you lose a lot of water, it's actually a recipe for dehydration.

Still waiting for the original source, or ANY RESEARCH WHATSOEVER which can be cited to back up the 8-10 8oz glasses of water a day figure. Nobody can cite it BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST.
    The original source comes from a recommendation in 1945 by the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council. It recommended 2.5 liters of water, but made a point that most of it came from the food we eat, and any shortfall could be made up from coffee, milk, tea, juice, or soda, and that one did not need to specifically drink water.

The whole "it must be water" thing is actually a marketing campaign by bottled water companies.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • pcastagner
    Options

Yeah, it was awesome.

The original source comes from a recommendation in 1945 by the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council. It recommended 2.5 liters of water, but made a point that most of it came from the food we eat, and any shortfall could be made up from coffee, milk, tea, juice, or soda, and that one did not need to specifically drink water.

The whole "it must be water" thing is actually a marketing campaign by bottled water companies.

That's not a research finding, sorry. It's a source. But it isn't research and that recommendation was not based on any findings published in any medical journal. There is no empirical evidence to back up the 8-10 a day claim. I challenge anyone on here to either stop repeating this nonsense or come up with a proper citation. Just one.

Yu might need 8 glasses today. You might need 15. You might need 4. It varies a whole lot! Luckily you get thirsty and drink, and that solves the problem!
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    no thanks.

I like CocaCola.

I second that!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yeah, it was awesome.

That's not a research finding, sorry. It's a source. But it isn't research and that recommendation was not based on any findings published in any medical journal. There is no empirical evidence to back up the 8-10 a day claim. I challenge anyone on here to either stop repeating this nonsense or come up with a proper citation. Just one.

Yu might need 8 glasses today. You might need 15. You might need 4. It varies a whole lot! Luckily you get thirsty and drink, and that solves the problem!

I do not think he is saying it is a research finding. You asked for the original source. That is thought to possibly be the original source - which was actually been incorrectly interpreted at the time:

With regard to the possible source noted above:

"According to J. Papai, P. Thomas has suggested a different origin for 8 × 8. Thomas reminds us that in 1945 the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council wrote:

A suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 liters daily in most instances. An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 milliliter for each calorie of food. Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods.

Thomas suggests that the last sentence was not heeded, and the recommendation was therefore erroneously interpreted as eight glasses of water to be drunk each day."

The above is a quote from the review article cited below:

Heinz Valtin did an extensive review of this recommendation, which was published in the American Journal of Physiology (http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.long). He concluded that there is lack of any evidence supporting the eight glasses a day. “I have found no scientific proof that we must “drink at least eight glasses of water a day,” nor proof, it must be admitted, that drinking less does absolutely no harm. However, the published data available to date strongly suggest that, with the exception of some diseases and special circumstances, such as strenuous physical activity, long airplane flights, and climate, we probably are currently drinking enough and possibly even more than enough.”
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Yeah, it was awesome.

I'm not sure what you're arguing, because I'm agreeing with you. The original source was a recommendation by the NRC that stated the average human requires roughly 2.5 liters of water, but most of it comes from food. The whole 8 glasses a day myth was essentially a marketing campaign by the bottled water companies to increase sales. There is no real science behind having to actually drink that much. Especially because the original recommendation acknowledged all beverages, with the exception of high alcohol content beverages provide equal hydration, as well as food.

I specify high alcohol content, because yes, beer hydrates!:drinker:
  • pcastagner
    Options

Yeah, it was awesome.

I'm not sure what you're arguing, because I'm agreeing with you. The original source was a recommendation by the NRC that stated the average human requires roughly 2.5 liters of water, but most of it comes from food. The whole 8 glasses a day myth was essentially a marketing campaign by the bottled water companies to increase sales. There is no real science behind having to actually drink that much. Especially because the original recommendation acknowledged all beverages, with the exception of high alcohol content beverages provide equal hydration, as well as food.

I specify high alcohol content, because yes, beer hydrates!:drinker:

Oh. Sorry! I get contrarian when I open up MFP sometimes. So much bull**** around here!

Apologies!
  • pro31wahine
    pro31wahine Posts: 62 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    We build or break down... We choose how we perceive life and express it, I guess.

I wonder how she's been since her initial post.
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread is a zombie.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Only on the internet can you find a bunch of people attacking someone for encouraging others to drink water. I agree with your post. Staying hydrated is so important! And I needed that reminder to encourage me to drink up! Thanks 😊

5 years ago :confused: How on Earth...?

Sometimes it takes a while to let the anger build.