Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Eating more than others still equates to cico.

Here's another perspective. I know by now that I have a very fickle low blood pressure. Well, basically it's constantly low and doesn't recover unless I stop what I do and drops down as soon as I continue doing this, including walking. If I do a city trip or day hike and walk all day I have to eat every 60-90 minutes because I get hungry and weak very quickly. People always told me that they have a good breakfast in the morning and can go all day. I never could do that. I'd get hungry and weak again 60-90 minutes later. Just because every step literally feels like wading through custard. So I ate a ton of food since childhood, and was always normal weight while not being as active as other kids simply because I could not be as active.

But guess what? When I became even more inactive, studying, sitting in an office all day i did gain weight as I was still eating the same. Cito works.

Finally having found out why I'm constantly tired and hungry and having found a fix (more salt and compression) means I again need to eat lesss, otherwise I gain. Cito still works, and I really need to take care of how much I eat and relearn about my personal nutritional needs - with the great addition that I am now able to walk briskly for a few hours with just a breakfast without feeling miserable.

CITO is just an energy equation. Eat less and you lose, eat more and you gain. How much this less or more is somewhat individual for everyone within certain statistical boundaries.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything @AnnPT77 said and will add my own slight off average example. I have PCOS, borderline low thyroid (not low enough to warrant medications), and an injury that rendered me unable to sit for long periods of time so most my sedentary time is spent lying down. My "sedentary" is essentially lower than calculated sedentary, and I burn fewer calories through activity than average. I could say that I have a "slower metabolism" by about 150-180 calories. This is why I need to be more active than the average person to achieve the same kind of loss. Understanding how CICO works helped me put together a plan that works for my CICO.

While there exist cases where people are burning fewer calories (I'm a prime example), in most cases this isn't what's happening. And the overwhelmingly vast majority of these cases, being an outlier doesn't make it impossible to lose weight while getting adequate nutrition. You'll be extremely hard pressed to find someone who truly would gain on 1200 calories unless extremely small in stature (in which case their nutritional needs are different and can be fulfilled within a smaller calorie limit).

Psychological sustainability is a whole other can of worms and I believe I'll break a woo record if it ever gets discussed because I believe people who find a normal weight unsustainable are better off if they stick to the lowest sustainable weight for them even if it falls in the overweight (or even obese) range, but keep working on acquiring skills and strategies that can potentially lower the threshold for what is sustainable.

I suspect you're mistaken on this point, as I've found a great deal of acceptance as a relatively fit and still obese(when I hit the bottom of my maintenance range I'll be just barely overweight) person. I still have to work to stay fit and healthy, but I've chosen to accept a higher maintenance range. I may someday(when I become much less active) get into the high "normal" range. But for now, I like to eat, and I like to train, and I know how to cut if and when I choose to, and I've got the skills to do so, it's just not that much of a priority.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    But Harris-Benedict (and revisions including the ones used by mfp and Fitbit) are often found to not accurately enough predict individuals who are observed directly. Or at least not accurately enough so that researchers still try to tinker with the predictive formulas and delineate populations where "their" equation would work better, or be more precise

Now before anyone else misinterprets, this has nothing to do with CICO or an inability to succeed in losing weight based on starting from a starting point that could be derived from even worse than the available equations (or even be arbitrarily chosen) and correcting based on individual results over time.

I am just trying to understand (with my limited understanding of statistics) why interperson REE variability would not exceed 5%.

MFP uses Mifflin which I understand is a revision of Harris-Benedict.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21458373/
    The Mifflin under-predicted RMR in both sexes, normal weight individuals, 40-60 year olds, and non-Hispanic White participants.

However, clinical judgment and caution should be used when applying these prediction equations to special populations **or small groups**

N=1 is a very small group. Individual forum threads deal with n=1s. The totality of forum threads behaves closer to the population.

... at an individual level, both equations have wide limits of agreement and clinically
    important differences in REE would be obtained.

Our results are in agreement with other studies in this fi eld.[1,8,10] Boullata et al, in 2007 compared predictive equations of REE and indirect calorimetry in hospitalized patients and
    found that even the most accurate equation (the Harris-Benedict 1.1) was inaccurate in 39% of patients and had an unacceptably high error

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/caf8/dca3049a274c3fa76b9a322a0b8e190b8a1b.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiExKXfnqHaAhXLasAKHacqDwQQFjAFegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw1GVOvFwAI97OZJ-Hw3JFkn

Of course in hospitalized patients something else is happening too and this would have implications as to whether the patient is hyper or hypo metabolic.

The point being though that without a complete history we don't know whether the somebody posting is hyper or hypo metabolic and people are not well known for disclosing every pertinent issue they have up front.

And while millions and millions of people are absolutely normal [just like the British actress in the clip we often link to, and as I found out for myself once I started using MFP and Fitbit and doing a dexa scan or two, myself] given how few people make it to MFP in the first place, and how few of them then post, I don't see why it is impossible to run into a-typical individuals more often than the full population statistics would indicate.

And yes, everything Ann said above is true, with the vast majority of perceived situations that CICO is not working stemming from an inability to correctly evaluate a combination of inputs and results.

So just to be clear. I believe that CICO applies 100% of the time but can be hard to pin down the exact numbers when it comes to a particular individual, and even at different points time, for a particular individual.

And that a (very few) times [but more often seen on MFP than elsewhere] the the answer may not be "eat less to lose", because eat less to lose sometimes is addressing the wrong part of CICO for the particular person and is doing so with the wrong tool.

You know, the break the wall by banging it with your head analogy.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    See and this is where I will perhaps find the Crux of our slight disagreement, capturing adaptation capturing temporary compromise due to illness or whatever else is going on in a person's life is part (sometimes) of giving the correct answer to someone who is not able to lose weight even though they eat very little, specifically because both sides of the equation play off one another.

Considering some degree of REE variance from the expected mean, considering an even bigger variance from an expected tdee, neither of these negates the fact that with sufficient effort and attention weight loss can be achieved and maintained.

Now it may change slightly in terms of whether you try to feather a situation or sledgehammer it. It may change the way you go about doing it. Maybe even radically. But it doesn't change the fact that what you're trying to achieve is manipulate the effective CI versus the effective CO to tilt the way you want them to arrive at the results you want.

The weird part is because I I agree wholeheartedly with the main points of your last paragraph, including the bigotry of low expectations and understanding your debits and credits, is why I disagree with your excluding things such as age and hormones by considering them inconsequential.

I guess I do the same to a degree by not considering TEF or the exact calories of nuts or extra non digestion generated by OMAD to be part of the consequential debits and credits.

Or on second thought, I consider that whatever those effects may be, they are less important than ease of adherence.