Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

@AnnPT77

"Rare things happen rarely. Common things happen commonly."

This. So succinct, so perfect. Just this. Well, and basic physics.

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    ericjaton5 wrote: »
    First off, I'd like to say how wonderful it is to have a community that can discuss a topic such as this at a high level and use evidenced-based argument.

I do have issues with CICO and how it is applied to people's weight loss regimens. It also ignores metabolism physiology and is a simplified "tag line" that can be easily explained to the masses but when applied in this simplified format is, in my opinion, not very helpful.

I don't think anyone is arguing about the 2nd law of thermodynamics here. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Calories in equals calories out. I 100% agree with this statement.

The issue I have is where the calories in and calories out actually come from. Let's do some simple derivation to better understand the physiology of what energy compartments the body utilizes.

Calories In = Calories Out
    Makes sense so far right?
    Energy Reserves + Dietary Intake = Calories Out
    Here we breakdown calories in - they can come from the food they eat, or energy the body has already stored
    Energy Reserves + Dietary Intake = Metabolism (BMR) + Excretion + Physical Activity
    Here we breakdown calories out - We burn energy via cellular metabolism (BMR, which likes others have said does alter according to caloric intake), excretion (wasted/excreted/peed/pooped nutrients not utilized by the body), and physical activity
    (Glycogen + Adipose + Protein) + (Carbs + Fat + Protein) = (Thermogenesis + Cellular Demands) + Excretion + Physical Activity
    So here I breakdown energy reserves by categories and try to define storage compartments of energy that the body can actively target

Almost all people losing weight want to optimize adipose tissue targetting for energy.

My issue with CICO is that it COMPLETELY DISREGARDS how to optimize adipose breakdown (lipolysis) or the physiologic regulatory mechanisms surrounding how to crack this energy compartment within the body.

Yes, simple caloric restriction will make you lose weight over the long term. But chronic caloric restriction, as we already know, also decreases basal metabolic rate THAT DOES NOT RECOVER. There was a study looking at long-term caloric restriction and daily exercise, and at 7 YEAR follow up, these human subjects still had decreased BMR (I don't have a link right now but if people want to pick it apart I'll go find it). Other issues are symptomatic, people feel cold, are tired, and hungry all the time. In addition, chronic caloric restriction decreases sex hormones and decreases BDNF, and GH. These are important hormones required to maintain lean body mass during weight loss.

Another issue is that chronic caloric restriction is extremely difficult to maintain. There was a large clinical trial (n=1000 or something big) I think in the 90s that used CR and exercise to have people lose weight, and at 6 month follow up at a 95% failure rate, and after a year the majority of subjects gained most of the weight back.

CICO does not take into consideration nutrient timing, the influence of sleep, nutrition, the hormonal theory of obesity, and in vivo energy balance physiology. This is why I don't recommend the CICO weight loss concept to other people.

I am on my phone so formatting may be screwed up.

1st, CO takes into account hormones, exercise, lack of sleep, cortisol, thyroid, thermoelectric of food etc.

2nd, there was a study from the National Weight Control Registery comparing the BMR of obese individuals who lost weight to lean individuals of similiar weights who never lost weight. No significant difference between BMRs. Will sure later when I have my computer.

3. What do you consider restrictive?Based on dietary recalls with obese individuals I have seen, dating an obese individual, and my obese friends I estimate some of them are eating 3,000+ calories a day, everyday. If they ate 2,000 calories a day they would lose weight and I do not find 2,000 restrictive. So I guess it depends on what people find restrictive.