Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I had stomach flu a few times in the past. I didnt eat for days and barely drank fluids yet the scale said I gained 2 lbs. I have gained or lost 10 lbs in a month without changing my diet, but by taking birth control pills or thyroid meds. Some weight loss or gain is hormonal and defies the laws of CICO. But, for the most part it works.

No. Meds, illness, injury and other outside influences can alter the CO part of the equation or cause water retention, but nobody creates fat out of thin air - if you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight.

But if those meds or hormonal issues are causing the body to function on 800 calories a day when someone without those issues and same weight and body composition would normally require 1300 to function, then someone could gain weight on 1200 calories a day. Thats not normal.

If someone who is the same weight, height and body composition as someone who maintains on 1300 calories is maintaining at 800 calories they are most likely in a coma. Do you mean that some meds or hormone imbalances (like uncorrected thyroid issues) can cause one person's CO to be less than another similar person without that issue - sure. CO can be affected to some degree by those things. It doesn't mean "Some weight loss or gain is hormonal and defies the laws of CICO.", it means some people in these circumstances expend fewer calories than standard CICO calculations would predict.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    But that the weight-loss method of eating at a nutritionally reasonable deficit may not work the same for different people - even if you take, say, two people with the exact same stats and BMR and place them on a controlled diet. Before someone jumps on me, I'm not saying this is definitely the case - I'm not a scientist and I haven't conducted any studies on the subject, but neither have I seen any that disprove it - though there are studies on mice which were similar and that suggested that hormones and gut microbes may play a part, where one mouse would become obese and one wouldn't in spite of the same diet and activity.

The bolded is true, I think (almost certainly so), although I don't think the differences are as significant as I think you are assuming, and I also don't think we know what anyone's BMR is anyway -- one of the mistakes people make is this idea that a calculator can tell you your BMR.

But the problem is that this has NOTHING to do with CICO. That people have different TDEEs and may have their CI or CO affected differently by activity or what they eat or having a calorie deficit (again, not to a dramatic degree for the most part, but yes, differently), doesn't at ALL go against CICO if you understand what CICO is.

Why you got pushback was not for saying this, I don't think, but for the idea that some people have their metabolism (their TDEE) so dramatically affected by a deficit, even a mild one, that they cannot lose weight and cannot counter the reduction by increased activity. There's nothing I've ever seen to suggest that's true, and it makes no sense. The studies (like the Minnesota starvation experiment, where the men were eating at a deficit, not nothing), demonstrate otherwise, in fact, even though they were of normal weight and then thinner, and we know that having less body fat is going to make fat loss harder, normally (this is why obese people can worry less about having a mild deficit and eating protein and still not lose much muscle).

Also, you seem really fixated by the ideas that (1) some people may lose/gain weight easier than others (which I think is a pointless things to focus on and is irrelevant to CICO), and (2) that some people's metabolisms wipe out deficits, even when first dropping calories and obese, for which there is exactly no evidence.

It should be easy to prove -- take a group of obese people and put them in a metabolic ward study.
  • IzzyFlower2018
    IzzyFlower2018 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »

I'm one of those people who said 'CICO MAY not be the complete picture'.

What I was trying to say is not the CICO doesn't work at a base level - it does.

But that the weight-loss method of eating at a nutritionally reasonable deficit may not work the same for different people - even if you take, say, two people with the exact same stats and BMR and place them on a controlled diet. Before someone jumps on me, I'm not saying this is definitely the case - I'm not a scientist and I haven't conducted any studies on the subject, but neither have I seen any that disprove it - though there are studies on mice which were similar and that suggested that hormones and gut microbes may play a part, where one mouse would become obese and one wouldn't in spite of the same diet and activity.

Now, for the people that like to bring in the anorexic and starvation strawmen: obviously, if you stop eating full-stop; or, eat extremely minimal amounts, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT, no doubt.
    Unfortunately most of us can't just stop eating to lose weight. And that's where the rest of that 'picture' comes in. Trying to lose weight on what is a reasonable intake that still provides adequate nutrition and energy.
    What if when two women of the same BMR eat a surplus of, say, 300 calories, one woman's BMR revs up by those 300 calories to burn the excess, keeping her at the same weight; while the other woman's BMR remains the same, and these 300 calories get deposited as fat?
    Conversely, if they're both eating in a 300 calories deficit, one women's BMR may remain the same and burn these 300 calories to function; while the other's metabolic rate will downregulate by 300 calories and remain in maintenance?

Why is that not possible?

Again, I'm not talking about extremes like the Minessota study here. Yes, maybe if that second woman eats at a 1000 deficit for weeks she will eventually lose weight. But her deficit may always need to be much bigger than someone else's. Is that not a possibility?

There are also issues with insulin and other hormonal and metabolic pathways. The body doesn't just directly burn fat, it does so through a complex process. Since we talk about dying from starvation, does that mean an obese person could essentially sustain themselves with NO food for months while fueling their body through their fat reserves? Is it not possible for someone to die from starvation while still being overweight? Why or why not?

I'm not pushing 'woo' or being ornery here, honestly; I'm sincerely just throwing these questions out there because they're in my head, and because from what I've read and seen, science is just beginning to tap the iceberg of some these issues and doctors themselves admit that there is still a LOT they don't know about some of the biological processes around obesity. If it was proven that it simply came down solely to caloric restriction and nothing else, why would things like gut biomes or the role of leptin or insulin even be a field of research?

Yes, mice have some very interesting field tests across the board, and if science could easily translate it to human DNA then there would be many problems solved. Until then, CICO.
    I agree that two people can eat the same and end up different weights assuming all else is equal.... but no its not going to be like one person ends up 120lbs and the other is 170lbs.
    I think of all the studies I read average was like 3-7lbs difference and still that was short term, i.e. less than 6 months. Long term like a year they might have all ended up the same with no difference.

I also want to note that not one person here guaranteed an amount of weight you will lose or when it will process... just that CICO works. One person might lose 1 pound a week and another person 3 ... still both lose.

"What if when two women of the same BMR eat a surplus of, say, 300 calories, one woman's BMR revs up by those 300 calories to burn the excess, keeping her at the same weight; while the other woman's BMR remains the same, and these 300 calories get deposited as fat?"
    Then one person was off when calculating their BMR. But even so, if both maintain the same calories every day the one "gaining" fat would even out as her extra weight would increase her BMR and she would be at maintenance, then when she decreases she will lose.

"Conversely, if they're both eating in a 300 calories deficit, one women's BMR may remain the same and burn these 300 calories to function; while the other's metabolic rate will downregulate by 300 calories and remain in maintenance? "
    Same thing, the one not losing can adjust again and she will lose... although again BMR is BMR so probably calculated wrong but whatevs.

"There are also issues with insulin and other hormonal and metabolic pathways. The body doesn't just directly burn fat, it does so through a complex process."
    Your right ... your body will burn whatever it can, usually muscle first but also fat which is why people protein load in an attempt to maintain muscle.
    More than that when there is nothing left to burn but stored fat that is what will happen.

"why would things like gut biomes or the role of leptin or insulin even be a field of research?"

"The effect of diet on the pathogenesis of obesity is a key contributing factor; however, the impact of diet on the gut microbiome structure remains poorly understood. Studies using high-throughput sequencing to compare variations in microbial community composition in animals and humans following different diets13,97 suggest that differences in the diet modify the relative abundance of gut microorganisms. High-fat, high-sugar (ie, Western-type diet), or high-plant polysaccharide-containing diets have been shown to significantly alter the microbiome composition at different phylogenetic levels."

Meaning we possibly alter our bodies when we eat poorly on a genetic level, which has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Did you ever think that there might be more than one reason people deny CICO?

Well, I've listed more than one reason, so obviously yes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    You cannot manage finances without understanding the debits and credits and this is defined.

As an accountant, this makes me laugh. Because most people have a completely backwards idea about debits and credits. A debit to your bank account means your balance goes up. A credit means it goes down. But many of you are reading this and thinking I have it completely backwards, and I don't.

The issue is most people don't realize the statement they get from the bank every month is the banks statement of what they owe you, not your statement of what you have.

Not sure what my point is, just that this comment made me laugh.

I woulda thought a debit on their books was a credit on mine, and that that was the whole point of them sending me a statement.

But what do I know, I was a liberal arts major*, and never finished my MBA.

But this as nothing to do with CICO or calorie counting, even metaphorically.

* Yes, the misused homophones on this thread are driving me crazy. But I restrain myself because I know language peevery is a class marker, and does not contribute affirmatively to actual communication.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Also, it's already been well covered that many people misunderstand what CICO is. This is not a new idea in the conversation, and I assume most agree.

A follow up question is why, after the misunderstanding is cleared up, do some continue to deny CICO. Why cling to ideas that make no sense and that would rob you of the understanding that you do have control?

Answered above, I believe.

Why do people make other poor choices?

Why do people borrow money to buy a car when it's cheaper to save up and then buy one?

Why do people buy $5 candy at the movies when they can buy the same box at Wal*Mart and bring it in?

Why do people eat junk food when fruits, vegetables and lean proteins are better for you?

Why does advertising work?

People want instant gratification and are bad at critical reasoning.

Half the population has below average intelligence. I'm not shocked at all that people deny CICO. People deny the earth is a sphere. People believe their political party is working in their best interests. People believe all sorts of things despite evidence to the contrary.

They fight for their ideas. If you disagree, the fight or flight response is often triggered, not the rational thought centers.

I don't disagree, but I think the things you're saying make it even more important that we try to get through to such folks about managing to the long term result rather than instant gratification, because this is a hugely important insight that can be transformational in other aspects of one's life, once learned in one's gut.

I've brought up the Stanford marshmallow experiment (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment) before.

I learned some useful things about long term investment - which is deferred gratification in disguise - from my rowing coach (gradual, almost imperceptibly effective but persistent personal change through long term manageable effort - not money investment - LOL). I was able to bring those lessons to weight loss, and to other areas of my life . . . in late middle age. It was a huge gift of life improvement from her to me.

I love to see people here be successful at weight loss and weight maintenance. But it's completely thrilling to me to see someone get how that persistent patience then applies to their other life goals.

It's a reason to keep trying.

ETA stupid bracket I accidentally deleted - *baby feline* BBCode!
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Caralarma wrote: »
    So many people just don't grasp the concept of calories in calories out. They tell me that not all calories are equal and that you have to eat healthy to lose weight. I used to argue with these people but lately I just smile and nod. It's worked for me.. I eat basically anything I want and have lost 5 kg. I feel so many more people would be successful at weight loss if they just grasped this simple scientific concept. I'm hoping to reach my ultimate weight and then write a blog list about how I did it and prove all the CICO deniers wrong

I don't know. You do lose weight if you eat less than you burn. You have to find a good balance for yourself thougg. I notice most calculators say I should eat 1500 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week but I just cannot stick with that so usually I eat about 2000 a day and still lose good.