Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,199 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yodauur.png
    Community Guidelines we have.... Read them you should.

They talk about attacking other users (Guideline 1) and trolling (Guideline 2)... Please take a look and keep them in mind when posting. (all of them, not just the first two).

May the odds be ever in your favor...
    Em.
  • IzzyFlower2018
    IzzyFlower2018 Posts: 121 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Bekah7482 wrote: »
    For me, I get tired of hearing "its CICO, eat whatever you want as long as you stay under calories MFP says you will lose weight"

I am not tired of hearing it because it is necessarily wrong. I get that CICO works. But people tend to simplify CICO too much. There are a lot of things that affect the CO portion of the equation. Individual metabolism, body composition just to name a few of the many.

More importantly, there is a lot more that goes into the CI portion. Just consume less calories is not that easy for some and for those who think its easy, they just assume everyone else is just too lazy to try. There are mental blocks, terrible relationships with food, habits, brain chemistry that goes into it. While some people can just eat one slice of pizza, that would be horrible advice for others as eating just 1 piece is a lot harder. CICO does not account for ones relationship to food. There are certain foods that I just cannot eat because it is a trigger for my eating disorder and will derail all my progress. I have to recognize that. But if I were to have a thread on here about how I am going to cut out pizza, I would get a bunch of responses from people telling me they cant imagine life without pizza and as long as it fits in your calories, eat the pizza. How is that helpful for me?

Again, CICO at its basics works but it is way over simplified for the execution of people with eating disorders, emotional eating, and other bad relationships with food.

I also feel like the MFP community bashes people's diets too much. Yes low carb, paleo, Atkins, OMAD diets are all ways for you to achieve CICO so who cares what path people choose? If carbs trigger over eating for someone so they go low carb to lose weight....who cares?? You dont need to throw CICO at them saying that they dont need to do low carb. I have recently changed to an IF eating pattern. Not necessary because I wanted to follow that diet but because I recognized that I was not actually hungry in the morning so eating when I was not hungry was not a habit I wants to pick up again. On the opposite end, I was always hungry at 3pm and I had no calories left over. So now my breakfast calories can be reused for 3pm. But again, looking at threads on IF, you get the MFP veterans constantly knocking it because all you need is CICO.

CICO is an energy balance issue. It has nothing....NOTHING....whatsoever to do with behavioral issues, mental illness, eating disorders, food relationships, etc. NOTHING. Nobody who's defending the validity of CICO has ever claimed that any of those things have anything to do with CICO, nor do those things have anything to do with the CI portion of the equation.

CICO is an acronym for "Calories In, Calories Out". It simplifies the law of energy balance, which has been scientifically validated over and over and over again. If you consume less calories than you expend, you will lose weight. How one arrives at that destination can be complicated and nuanced by all the things you're discussing, but they have absolutely NOTHING to do with CICO itself. Nor do they modify, diminish or invalidate the law of energy balance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_balance

So you are now saying that the way we may develop our own energy balances 'have absolutely nothing to do with CICO itself'?

I think this issue in some recent posts are not so much about what is meaningful or not meaningful but how some are willing to verbally abuse others if they disagree.

If CICO was actually scientifically validated that proof would be posted by someone every time the subject comes up. While CICO as used by some here is a term without validated scientific meaning as often used here it is good to run up the number of posts counter. :)

Gonna drop this here

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

http://www.healthcarebusinesstech.com/nutritionist-loses-27-pounds-on-twinkie-and-oreo-diet-no-really/

And then this here

https://www.myoleanfitness.com/cico-evidence-based-truth/

https://www.itscico.com/

Then I am going to explain you what I read in your comment earlier which is why I ignored you the first go round ...

You said "I figured out my body combination" ... meaning you replaced 1000 calories of carbs with 500 calories of fat or protein or any combo there of ... doesn't matter... it was still CICO ...

It is the same reason people are 100lbs over weight and still severely malnourished.

If you eat medium cheese pizza, bag of Doritos, and liter of soda over an entire day you may feel like you didn't eat much.
    Breakfast: 2 slices and 1/3 bag and 1/3 soda
    Lunch: 3 slices and 1/3 bag and 1/3 soda
    Dinner: 3 slices and 1/3 bag and 1/3 soda
    no snacks

But you just ate 3800 calories and maybe minimal satiety plus apparently there is chemicals in these food which encourage hunger so you might even still feel hungry.

Then you replace those with ...
    Breakfast: 2 cups of fruit, 5 egg omlet, and a waffled with 1/4 cup wip cream
    Lunch: two BLT and avocado sandwiches with 3 cups of salad even with 1/4 cup ranch
    Dinner: an 8 ounce steak with 3 cups of salad even with 1/4 cup ranch

Suddenly you are "eating more" and losing weight so CICO must be wrong .. only no.. because all of this is only about 3300 calories

And walla... more food, more satiety, BUT 500 LESS CALORIES a day / a deficit of 3500 a week ... always CICO

Hey Sis,I see you are new here! Welcome to the community! Wrong tree:)

Thanks
  • IzzyFlower2018
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I just really came back to see where we are on the whole gravity doesn’t always exist on earth theory ... or if we at least built one bookshelf ...
  • IzzyFlower2018
    Options
    Bekah7482 wrote: »
    For me, I get tired of hearing "its CICO, eat whatever you want as long as you stay under calories MFP says you will lose weight"

I am not tired of hearing it because it is necessarily wrong. I get that CICO works. But people tend to simplify CICO too much. There are a lot of things that affect the CO portion of the equation. Individual metabolism, body composition just to name a few of the many.

More importantly, there is a lot more that goes into the CI portion. Just consume less calories is not that easy for some and for those who think its easy, they just assume everyone else is just too lazy to try. There are mental blocks, terrible relationships with food, habits, brain chemistry that goes into it. While some people can just eat one slice of pizza, that would be horrible advice for others as eating just 1 piece is a lot harder. CICO does not account for ones relationship to food. There are certain foods that I just cannot eat because it is a trigger for my eating disorder and will derail all my progress. I have to recognize that. But if I were to have a thread on here about how I am going to cut out pizza, I would get a bunch of responses from people telling me they cant imagine life without pizza and as long as it fits in your calories, eat the pizza. How is that helpful for me?

Again, CICO at its basics works but it is way over simplified for the execution of people with eating disorders, emotional eating, and other bad relationships with food.

I also feel like the MFP community bashes people's diets too much. Yes low carb, paleo, Atkins, OMAD diets are all ways for you to achieve CICO so who cares what path people choose? If carbs trigger over eating for someone so they go low carb to lose weight....who cares?? You dont need to throw CICO at them saying that they dont need to do low carb. I have recently changed to an IF eating pattern. Not necessary because I wanted to follow that diet but because I recognized that I was not actually hungry in the morning so eating when I was not hungry was not a habit I wants to pick up again. On the opposite end, I was always hungry at 3pm and I had no calories left over. So now my breakfast calories can be reused for 3pm. But again, looking at threads on IF, you get the MFP veterans constantly knocking it because all you need is CICO.

CICO is an energy balance issue. It has nothing....NOTHING....whatsoever to do with behavioral issues, mental illness, eating disorders, food relationships, etc. NOTHING. Nobody who's defending the validity of CICO has ever claimed that any of those things have anything to do with CICO, nor do those things have anything to do with the CI portion of the equation.

CICO is an acronym for "Calories In, Calories Out". It simplifies the law of energy balance, which has been scientifically validated over and over and over again. If you consume less calories than you expend, you will lose weight. How one arrives at that destination can be complicated and nuanced by all the things you're discussing, but they have absolutely NOTHING to do with CICO itself. Nor do they modify, diminish or invalidate the law of energy balance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_balance

So you are now saying that the way we may develop our own energy balances 'have absolutely nothing to do with CICO itself'?

I think this issue in some recent posts are not so much about what is meaningful or not meaningful but how some are willing to verbally abuse others if they disagree.

If CICO was actually scientifically validated that proof would be posted by someone every time the subject comes up. While CICO as used by some here is a term without validated scientific meaning as often used here it is good to run up the number of posts counter. :)

Gonna drop this here

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

http://www.healthcarebusinesstech.com/nutritionist-loses-27-pounds-on-twinkie-and-oreo-diet-no-really/

And then this here

https://www.myoleanfitness.com/cico-evidence-based-truth/

https://www.itscico.com/

Then I am going to explain you what I read in your comment earlier which is why I ignored you the first go round ...

You said "I figured out my body combination" ... meaning you replaced 1000 calories of carbs with 500 calories of fat or protein or any combo there of ... doesn't matter... it was still CICO ...

It is the same reason people are 100lbs over weight and still severely malnourished.

If you eat medium cheese pizza, bag of Doritos, and liter of soda over an entire day you may feel like you didn't eat much.
    Breakfast: 2 slices and 1/3 bag and 1/3 soda
    Lunch: 3 slices and 1/3 bag and 1/3 soda
    Dinner: 3 slices and 1/3 bag and 1/3 soda
    no snacks

But you just ate 3800 calories and maybe minimal satiety plus apparently there is chemicals in these food which encourage hunger so you might even still feel hungry.

Then you replace those with ...
    Breakfast: 2 cups of fruit, 5 egg omlet, and a waffled with 1/4 cup wip cream
    Lunch: two BLT and avocado sandwiches with 3 cups of salad even with 1/4 cup ranch
    Dinner: an 8 ounce steak with 3 cups of salad even with 1/4 cup ranch

Suddenly you are "eating more" and losing weight so CICO must be wrong .. only no.. because all of this is only about 3300 calories

And walla... more food, more satiety, BUT 500 LESS CALORIES a day / a deficit of 3500 a week ... always CICO

Hey Sis,I see you are new here! Welcome to the community! Wrong tree:)

I was trying to think of a tactful way to say that. :D

Sometimes availing oneself of the options freely available through the forum software (e.g., say, the "Ignore User" function, just as a random example) is a highly useful strategy rather than taking the time to type a response to somebody who is hypothetically utterly convinced of their point of view and has hypothetically consistently demonstrated, over a period of years, that no amount of reason or actual scientific evidence will change it. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Off topic, but just a helpful tip for a new user, offered in the hopes that it will be accepted in the spirit it was given. :)

Appreciated
  • IzzyFlower2018
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Well off to the forum software to test a hypothesis B)
  • lisa0527
    lisa0527 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lisa0527 wrote: »
    nettiklive wrote: »
    Sure it has. It’s not common. It’s probably quite rare. Has it been reported? Yes. See Table 2 for Patient details. Truth is there is significant inter-individual variation in the extent of adaptive thermogenesis relative to the energy deficit.
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.2217/17460875.2.6.651?needAccess=true

A study on 2 whole people, huh?

I think you might need to reread the article.

The article shares details about the case studies of three people -- two men who were on an extended expedition and a woman who was participating in a weight loss study. Table 2 is about the woman. The point: this is a very small amount of data from which to begin drawing conclusions that might apply more widely.

The article makes no claim for generalizability. In the context of a larger study it discusses a woman whose metabolic adaptation to energy restriction exceeded the energy deficit, resulting in weight gain on a lower calorie diet. I think they’re clear that they are reporting on one end of the spectrum of inter-individual variation in metabolic adaptation to an energy deficit. The majority of individuals lost weight exactly as expected. I shared the article because there is a firmly held belief in this Community that it is impossible to gain weight after cutting calories. Because of the over emphasis on the CI component of CICO, the answer to stalled weight loss is almost always “you’re eating more than you think you are”, or “eat less”. There exist some unfortunate individuals for whom that advice is both demotivating and simply wrong. So a little compassion when they post asking for help might be in order.

You are talking about the .0099% of the population, the outliers. On threads like those. chime in with your advice see if that helps them.

It doesn't matter what percentage it is. We're debating simply the physiological possibility that these outliers may in fact exist. If even one person like that exists in the world, it means that there is some mechanism by which the calorie burning/ weight loss process does not work as expected. It's not about debating the physical principle of CICO, but applying it to human weight loss through a reasonably sustainable caloric deficit, and that is what people are suggesting may not always occur as it should on paper. Just like gravity exists for everyone yet birds are able to fly while mammals cannot.

Oh you mean the ones that are afflicted by S.S.S - Special Snowflake Syndrome?

Well, it’s been described in the literature, so it’s clearly physiologically possible. That’s not up for debate. I haven’t seen any research that tries to estimate how common it is. Individual physiologic and endocrine adaptation to an energy deficit will presumably follow a normal distribution curve, like most things in nature. So it’s not a leap of logic to suggest that there are people at both ends of the continuum...those who will struggle mightily to lose weight and can’t tolerate large energy deficits, and those that either lose extremely easily or, more likely, never have to deal with obesity because of their exquisite adaptatation to an energy intake surplus. The more interesting question is the genetic basis for these extremes, and whether or not real world treatment options emerge from that research.
    Nobody in this thread actually reads links, but what the heck:

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/metabolic-rate-overview.html/

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/
    (About the third or fourth time I've linked this one)

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html/

Thanks, but I’ll stick with the peer reviewed literature. Since it’s what I actually do for a living I find it easier to navigate, and more thorough, than the MFP summaries.

Those aren’t MFP summaries - Lyle McDonald is one of the leading experts in nutrition - along with Alan Argon

They’re probably fine. I just prefer to go right to the peer reviewed research sources, rather than relying on someone else’s summary of it. If it’s a peer reviewed journal review I’m fine with that. I’m just cautious about non-peer reviewed blog and website articles, regardless of the authors credentials.There are lots of good peer reviewed reviews available. I’d suggest starting with Pubmed. Most college and public libraries will allow you to get behind the journal paywalls and access the entire article, not just the abstract.
    * And Lyle McDonald is not a nutritionist. He has an undergraduate degree in kinesiology and a background in personal training. So while he has undoubtably lots of good advice to give, from years of self-study, it’s not a substitute for looking at the actual research.

Why don't you read them and go to the sources Lyle uses then instead of posturing?

But that’s exactly what I’m doing and what I’m suggesting others do (at least the peer reviewed stuff). I am confused by this comment.
    My intent in posting has only been to try and introduce some of the basic science into the discussion. Mea culpa if that’s a problem on a debate forum. My mind is not made up on the issue, except I suppose it’s made up in that I believe peer reviewed research trumps anecdotal stories about what has worked for specific individuals. It’s how science works.