Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nettiklive wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    RivenV wrote: »

If I take up a project, like building a bookshelf, there may be many factors that compromise my ability to complete it flawlessly. My severe procrastination, my terrible skills at measuring things, the fact that my clumsy self is guaranteed to drop a hammer on my foot at some point, the fight I'll probably have with my husband as he tries to help me out and I defensively snipe at him. All of these things will be factors in how successful my bookshelf is, but none of them are going to change the instructions of how to build a bookshelf.

They're all, arguably, good things to know about myself so that I can factor them into the planning. Just like someone who wants to lose weight does better, overall, if they know certain things about themselves (like pizza being a trigger food for their ED). But I wouldn't download instructions on how to build a bookshelf and get frustrated because they didn't have time management tips for procrastinators, first aid instructions for foot injuries, or advice on how to solve marital conflict included in them.

In this analogy, if you just happen to get a box where one of the parts is missing or a board is cracked, you can follow instructions to a T and the shelf still won't hold together properly when you put it up. This is not a problem with the instructions or your execution of them but it's still a problem. And likely you'll only have one defective box out of, I don't know, several thousand. So if you go on a DIY support forum and swear up and down that you're following the instructions properly, people shouldn't believe you because it is so very unlikely that you have a defective part. After all, they all put theirs together just fine based on the same instructions and it worked! You MUST have missed a step somewhere.

Usually the instructions for this sort of thing includes an inventory list. ... Just sayin'. So presumably, if you're missing a piece, you would know if you read the instructions.

I cannot believe how patient some of the other people in this forum are.

That, and it seems highly reminiscent of the threads we see where - on page 2 or 3 - oh, yeah OP has undisclosed medical issues (aka the cracked board). Oh, you have PCOS? Yeah - low carb would probably be a really good idea for you. But, until that was disclosed, there was no reason for anyone to think OP would "need" low-carb.

So why would a low carb diet be a good idea for PCOS, and why would having PCOS even matter if it's ALL down to CICO (and low carb only works due to cutting out calories)??

Because people with PCOS often have insulin resistance, and for them (and that), a low carb diet is helpful. It is all down to calories, but certain medical conditions can muddy the waters. Even on a low carb diet, you still need to count calories.

Speaking of insulin resistance - all the Fung sycophants spout his malarkey about insulin being the cause of obesity. Would it not make sense, then, that being insulin resistant would actually make it easier to lose weight, since you're not as prone to insulin causing fat storage as he claims? His entire theory about the cause of obesity hinges around insulin and he's an adamant CICO denier despite mountains of science proving he's wrong. He sure sells a lot of books, though. P.T. Barnum was right about a sucker being born every minute.

In fact, it should. People with T1D or even advanced T2D often lose weight because they lack insulin and so can't transport carbs properly (including storing it as fat in the cells). It's normal to put on some weight when insulin is reintroduced.

The same would be true for having insulin and not being able to use it -- you are in essence wasting carbs you don't burn. So how do you gain? Pretty much everyone also eats fat. What I think happens with IR is that you aren't effectively using carbs you eat, so you feel hungry/low energy, or are more prone to energy crashes (which make you feel hungry), and you aren't getting the sense of satiety after eating that you should. So you eat more and put on weight -- but as with most, the fat added is largely from the fat you eat (which does not mean that fat makes you fat, excess calories do).

Someone with IR may find they feel more sated with a lower carb diet (or might not), and in many cases having a lower carb diet (or eating carbs WITH fiber and protein) will prevent that crash after eating that some get. And plus if you can't effectively use insulin you will be prone to excessive insulin spikes and elevated insulin (in a way healthy people are not) and that's not good for you. These are all good reasons to be concerned about carbs or how you eat them if IR that has absolutely nothing to do with some idea that calorie deficit is not what causes weight loss.

Low carb can be an effective way for some to achieve a calorie deficit. It is not an ALTERNATIVE to having a calorie deficit, of course. (I know you know this, AnvilHead.)
  • lisa0527
    lisa0527 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am going to revisit my recommendation that you talk to your doctor.

You are fixated on this idea that people can be so broken that physics don't apply to them, and that this is a commonplace.

It's not, and frankly, your posts are concerning.

You have been told time and again that these nightmare scenarios that you envision don't happen, and you keep seeking them out and dreaming them up and there has to come a point where you either take on board the information that people who know far more than you do are trying to impart, or you realize that you're on a dangerous path and take stock of yourself.

Again, why are we making this personal?

I did not create a thread in the Getting Started forum asking for help or advice.

I'm participating in a DEBATE on the DEBATE forum. I'm not personally 'fixated' on any idea; I just have trouble simply dismissing certain theories that seem feasible to me, even though I don't have enough medical knowledge to say for certain one way or another. So I'm offering up my arguments and questions and hoping for informative answers in return (rather than diagnoses, but thank you for your concern). As I said, even researchers in the field have stated that they're only beginning to find out about the role of various biological factors in weight loss and gain, and yet MFP's just seem to completely dismiss all of them.

For instance, no one has actually given a detailed response to my question about PCOS.
    What, exactly, is the mechanism by which a low carb diet will work better for an insulin resistant PCOS sufferer than a simple caloric deficit with high carbs?

Here’s an excellent review article on factors that explain variance in weight loss and adaptation to weight loss. http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/5/468/pdf#page15