Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kazane1 wrote: »
    Water is the only drink our body NEEDS, everything else is just preference the sooner you tune into that the better. Sweeteners.. sugars.. it’s all refined rubbish in my opinion.. water FTW!

You do realize that most drinks are somewhere around 99% water, right? Soda, tea, coffee, etc. Even milk (which has lots of vital nutrients in it) is somewhere around 90% water.

Unfortunately drinks like soda, tea, and coffee have caffeine in them, which dehydrate you...water by itself hydrates you. Also water has 0 calories. Nothing wrong with drinking other beverages (as long as they fit your caloric goals), but you can't beat good old H20. I drink a gallon of water a day.

Well...

a04440_981c120d93dd486f8edabd96dece212c~mv2.png

The level of fluid retention in sodas and tea will depend on the caffeine content, which is why you'll notice coffee is lower than water. Interesting chart though, thanks for sharing. Either way, as I said, I aim for 1 gallon water per day, which equates to over 10 cans of soda. Don't think there's anything wrong with a few cans of soda, etc. but for me to hit my gallon of water/day, I need to rely mostly on actual water.

If it was dependent on caffeine, wouldn't water be higher than cola, diet cola, tea, and cold tea?

Not just caffeine, but I think that's one of the driving factors. It depends on how much you drink too. In small doses, caffeine fine, but too much can have a diuretic affect. Coffee typically has more caffeine than tea/soda, so I believe that's why it's lower on the BHI.

Guess what? Water is a diuretic.

Sorry, should've been more clear. I know everything you drink will make you urinate. I meant diuretic to the point where you're absorbing less than your intake. Not sure what the proper term is for that.

Dehydrating. Which drinks with caffine arent.

"Some studies show that caffeinated drinks such as tea are just as hydrating as water when consumed in moderate amounts. Caffeine may dehydrate you if you consume 500 mg or more per day."

Source: https://www.livestrong.com/article/524680-does-tea-have-a-dehydrating-effect/

It's typical that people consuming extremely high amounts of many things (including vegetables, protein, or even *water itself*) are at risk for side effects/health consequences that others consume more normal amounts don't have to worry about.

500 mg of caffeine from diet soda is a lot. We're not talking about typical daily consumption here even for people who are drinking a lot of diet soda.

The argument isn't just about diet soda. We're talking about all caffeinated beverages. 500mg isn't that difficult to hit. Just 1 venti blonde roast from Starbucks has 475mg of caffeine.

Actually this thread is about artificial sweeteners. Someone hijacked the thread to preach drinking nothing but pure water and now you are piling on with the caffeine tangent.

Even if a venti blonde roast acts as a diuretic, you are still adding water along with the caffeine so you will still have a net gain of water. So if your point is that no one should rely entirely on venti blonde roasts for hydration because the caffeine will make your heart explode before you take in a reasonable amount of hydration, I guess you may have a point.

None of that changes the fact that artificial sweeteners are fine, caffeine does not entirely negate the water it's carried in, and there is no scientifically accurate reason to drink only plain water. :drinker:

Additionally the dehydrating effect of caffeine is a one time effect after a period of avoidance. Someone who has it regularily becomes immune to the diuretic nature which leads you to believe its more of a shock response to excessive caffine spikes than the caffeine itself.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Water is the only drink our body NEEDS, everything else is just preference the sooner you tune into that the better. Sweeteners.. sugars.. it’s all refined rubbish in my opinion.. water FTW!

You do realize that most drinks are somewhere around 99% water, right? Soda, tea, coffee, etc. Even milk (which has lots of vital nutrients in it) is somewhere around 90% water.

Unfortunately drinks like soda, tea, and coffee have caffeine in them, which dehydrate you...water by itself hydrates you. Also water has 0 calories. Nothing wrong with drinking other beverages (as long as they fit your caloric goals), but you can't beat good old H20. I drink a gallon of water a day.

Well...

The level of fluid retention in sodas and tea will depend on the caffeine content, which is why you'll notice coffee is lower than water. Interesting chart though, thanks for sharing. Either way, as I said, I aim for 1 gallon water per day, which equates to over 10 cans of soda. Don't think there's anything wrong with a few cans of soda, etc. but for me to hit my gallon of water/day, I need to rely mostly on actual water.

If it was dependent on caffeine, wouldn't water be higher than cola, diet cola, tea, and cold tea?

Not just caffeine, but I think that's one of the driving factors. It depends on how much you drink too. In small doses, caffeine fine, but too much can have a diuretic affect. Coffee typically has more caffeine than tea/soda, so I believe that's why it's lower on the BHI.

Sorry, should've been more clear. I know everything you drink will make you urinate. I meant diuretic to the point where you're absorbing less than your intake. Not sure what the proper term is for that.

"Some studies show that caffeinated drinks such as tea are just as hydrating as water when consumed in moderate amounts. Caffeine may dehydrate you if you consume 500 mg or more per day."

Source: https://www.livestrong.com/article/524680-does-tea-have-a-dehydrating-effect/

It's typical that people consuming extremely high amounts of many things (including vegetables, protein, or even *water itself*) are at risk for side effects/health consequences that others consume more normal amounts don't have to worry about.

500 mg of caffeine from diet soda is a lot. We're not talking about typical daily consumption here even for people who are drinking a lot of diet soda.

The argument isn't just about diet soda. We're talking about all caffeinated beverages. 500mg isn't that difficult to hit. Just 1 venti blonde roast from Starbucks has 475mg of caffeine.

Actually this thread is about artificial sweeteners. Someone hijacked the thread to preach drinking nothing but pure water and now you are piling on with the caffeine tangent.

Even if a venti blonde roast acts as a diuretic, you are still adding water along with the caffeine so you will still have a net gain of water. So if your point is that no one should rely entirely on venti blonde roasts for hydration because the caffeine will make your heart explode before you take in a reasonable amount of hydration, I guess you may have a point.

None of that changes the fact that artificial sweeteners are fine, caffeine does not entirely negate the water it's carried in, and there is no scientifically accurate reason to drink only plain water. :drinker:

It's very common for a thread to start with a specific question(s) and lead to additional follow-up questions. Part of normal conversation. In this case, OP mentioned that Stevia caused her to urinate frequently, which is how I think the hydration/water topic came up. Not sure why this is a problem.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Well...

This thread is about diet soda, specifically the sweeteners in them. It's not about caffeine at all actually. The typical person drinking diet soda doesn't have to worry about consuming 500 mg of caffeine from them so I don't understand why you are hyperfocused on edge cases.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of sodas that don't have caffeine. Colas have caffeine...most other sodas do not, with the exception of Mt. Dew
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Also, I bet this study was done with 1 serving. Try drinking 10 cups of tea with caffeine in them - I'm pretty sure you'll have a diuretic response and end up dehydrated.

I dont think you understand what a diuretic is or how dehydration works. If you drank tea with caffeine in a desert would you die ?

Never said drinking tea would kill you. I understand you could live off of it even if that was your only source of water.

My main point is that for someone trying to get a lot of water (1 gallon/day like I do), it's difficult to do it without actually drinking a ton of pure water. That's just my personal take. If others can get that much water by drinking other liquids/or even foods, more power to them.

Then it is hydrating.

If you drank 1 gallon of tea your body would absorb 1 gallon of water. personal takes and opinions have nothing to do with it.

This depends on how much caffeine is in your tea. In moderate doses, there is no evidence of dehydration from caffeine, I'll give you that point. Some studies show that over 500mg of caffeine do have a dehydrating affect. Let me define what I mean by dehydrating. Basically, if you drank 1 gallon of tea, you wouldn't absorb 1 gallon of water. 1 gallon of tea = 16 cups, which could easily put you over the 500mg caffeine threshold depending on the type of tea.

To my understanding, 500 mg of caffeine is outside of the generally accepted safe range for adults. It seems like you're trying to use "edge cases" of extreme caffeine consumption to make your case. That's more than 10 cans of soda. Other than extreme caffeine consumption where the amount of caffeine itself would be causing a problem for many people, it doesn't seem to be an issue so I'm unclear why you're bringing it up in a thread that is focusing on normal consumption of diet soda.

Not sure if you followed along with the whole thread. Somebody stated that drinking 1 gallon (16 cups) of tea is equivalent to drinking 1 gallon of water each day. My main point is that I think it's fine to drink tea, soda, diet soda, juices, beer, wine, whatever you want. I find it difficult to get to my goal of absorbing 1 gallon of water a day without the majority of my intake coming from actual water. To be clear, I drink coffee, tea, beer, etc. but mostly I drink water due to it having 0 calories and no potential side effects of drinking too much of it as opposed to most other drinks (whether the side effects are because of too much sugar, calories, caffeine, etc.)

I followed along the whole thread. I'm not sure why your personal goal of "absorbing" 1 gallon of water is relevant to the conversation at all.

Because OP mentioned that Stevia causes her to urinate frequently, so dehydration may be something of concern for her.

I'm saying my personal goal since we're discussing the topic of staying hydrated. It's like if we were talking about protein intake and I said my goal is 1g/lb of body weight. Not sure what the problem is here.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Also, I bet this study was done with 1 serving. Try drinking 10 cups of tea with caffeine in them - I'm pretty sure you'll have a diuretic response and end up dehydrated.

I dont think you understand what a diuretic is or how dehydration works. If you drank tea with caffeine in a desert would you die ?

Never said drinking tea would kill you. I understand you could live off of it even if that was your only source of water.

My main point is that for someone trying to get a lot of water (1 gallon/day like I do), it's difficult to do it without actually drinking a ton of pure water. That's just my personal take. If others can get that much water by drinking other liquids/or even foods, more power to them.

Then it is hydrating.

If you drank 1 gallon of tea your body would absorb 1 gallon of water. personal takes and opinions have nothing to do with it.

This depends on how much caffeine is in your tea. In moderate doses, there is no evidence of dehydration from caffeine, I'll give you that point. Some studies show that over 500mg of caffeine do have a dehydrating affect. Let me define what I mean by dehydrating. Basically, if you drank 1 gallon of tea, you wouldn't absorb 1 gallon of water. 1 gallon of tea = 16 cups, which could easily put you over the 500mg caffeine threshold depending on the type of tea.

To my understanding, 500 mg of caffeine is outside of the generally accepted safe range for adults. It seems like you're trying to use "edge cases" of extreme caffeine consumption to make your case. That's more than 10 cans of soda. Other than extreme caffeine consumption where the amount of caffeine itself would be causing a problem for many people, it doesn't seem to be an issue so I'm unclear why you're bringing it up in a thread that is focusing on normal consumption of diet soda.

Not sure if you followed along with the whole thread. Somebody stated that drinking 1 gallon (16 cups) of tea is equivalent to drinking 1 gallon of water each day. My main point is that I think it's fine to drink tea, soda, diet soda, juices, beer, wine, whatever you want. I find it difficult to get to my goal of absorbing 1 gallon of water a day without the majority of my intake coming from actual water. To be clear, I drink coffee, tea, beer, etc. but mostly I drink water due to it having 0 calories and no potential side effects of drinking too much of it as opposed to most other drinks (whether the side effects are because of too much sugar, calories, caffeine, etc.)

I followed along the whole thread. I'm not sure why your personal goal of "absorbing" 1 gallon of water is relevant to the conversation at all.

Because OP mentioned that Stevia causes her to urinate frequently, so dehydration may be something of concern for her.

I'm saying my personal goal since we're discussing the topic of staying hydrated. It's like if we were talking about protein intake and I said my goal is 1g/lb of body weight. Not sure what the problem is here.

I believe OP's concern was about frequent and urgent urination -- that's a different issue than staying hydrated. Did I miss where she shared her concern was dehydration and not specifically the frequent and urgent urination?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Then it is hydrating.

I believe OP's concern was about frequent and urgent urination -- that's a different issue than staying hydrated. Did I miss where she shared her concern was dehydration and not specifically the frequent and urgent urination?

Dehydration is a common side effect of frequent urination. Decided to go above and beyond and provide advice on this as well. Kind of like extra credit.

She only has frequent urination when she consumes stevia. Dehydration isn't a typical concern for her (unless she just hasn't shared it yet). It's your concern, one that you are projecting on her.

So basically what you're saying is that no one is allowed to deviate at all from the exact question from the OP? If somebody posted "Is it better to smoke cigarettes before or after a workout?", I have to either answer "before" or "after", but if I said something like cigarettes cause lung cancer, it would be a good idea to quit, I'm somehow breaking the rules of the MFP message boards? I don't understand why this is such a big deal.

You know, I was in the middle of answering your question seriously, but if you're comparing drinking a diet coke to smoking a cigarette . . . I just can't take that seriously. You're talking about two completely different things.

If you want to go into threads warning people you think they're in danger of dehydration if they consume mega-amounts of diet soda,go ahead. If you think that's a realistic threat to their wellbeing, why do you care that I disagree? I'm not a mod and my opinion on the helpfulness and relevance of your posts isn't something that you're obligated to consider.

You're the one that keeps commenting on my posts. In simple terms, I said, frequent urination, oh drink plenty of water to make sure you're hydrated and you've been going on and on about whether or not that was an appropriate post for this thread.

I'm the one that's actually trying to offer what I think might be valuable advice to the OP, not criticizing the relevancy of other people's posts.

I'm participating in a thread. If you don't feel we need to focus on OP's actual stated concerns and you don't wish to respond to my posts, you're free to ignore me.