April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui @sarahthes Volcanoes are my happy place. Haleakala is magical to me. And I would live at Volcanoes National Park if I could. I really wanted to hike to the lava flow the last two times we were on Hawaii but the hubs said no. There is something so beautiful about them and how powerful they are.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm trying to play catch-up on this thread but find it hard to make headway. I'm up to page 48! I think I'm going to break up my RR into three parts or I'll never get started on it.

@garygse fantastic race, man! An 11 minute improvement of an 11 minute improvement is phenomenal!! And doing that after coming back from your injury is amazing! I'm super stoked for your! You certainly did reach high that day.

@PastorVincent sorry to hear about your long run, but getting 21 miles before walking sounds pretty good. You'll get it sorted it out before race day, I'm sure. Have ever weighed yourself before and after a long run to get a sense of how much water you loose per hour? It will vary with temperature, to be sure, but if you do that at various temps you can figure out how much water you've lost.

@HonuNui you can bet Kody & I hung out when I got back. I couldn't take him for a run Saturday but he got to play in the snow while I ran the snow blower to clear out the driveway...still in my running tights and shoes. Damn that hurt!

@mobycarp I haven't read your RR yet, but I did see the photos you posted and looked like a miserable day weather-wise, but damn man you did great (I peaked ahead to the end). I look forward to reading the whole thing as I get caught up.

@fitoverfortymom I love, love, loved your RR!!! An AG first place on your first trail race?!?!? Your a natural. I trust we'll see more trail race reports in your future? Wonderful performance. So much of trail running is mindset and attitude and you clearly have that in your favor. You are definitely no imposter!

@jine1989 you're doing great! Running when you don't feel you want to shows great self discipline. When the weather gets warmer and more humid, I find that I often need to slow down to keep my level of effort where I want it. Quite often, going slower means you can go longer, which will help you out in the long run.

@NikolaosKey Congrats on signing up for the 46k! You are going to have so much fun with that! As I told @fitoverfortymom above, so much of trail running and ultra trail running is attitude, and that will be your strength in the race.

@kevaasen you've had a great training cycle, looking forward to hearing about your marathon.

@Duck_Puddle & @Orphia one of my friends volunteering at Zumbro was wearing a stocking cap which said "SISU". I won't say it's a common word here but you hear it. There's even a CrossFit franchise here called Sisu.

@cburke8909 you probably mentioned it already, but where are you vacationing?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    For anyone interested in @MNLittleFinn's epic effort, you can find the race report here.

Epic indeed. Over the years there have been some truly amazing accomplishments from some truly amazing runners in this group, but I think this one inspires me the most. Thanks @MNLittleFinn for being such an inspiration to us all.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    For anyone interested in @MNLittleFinn's epic effort, you can find the race report here.

Epic indeed. Over the years there have been some truly amazing accomplishments from some truly amazing runners in this group, but I think this one inspires me the most. Thanks @MNLittleFinn for being such an inspiration to us all.

If I inspire people, that's cool. I tend to think of myself like Forrest Gump.... I just felt like running.... Glad people are enjoying my RR. I write them to help me sort out my own thoughts, but figure sharing might entertain or help others, so it's an added bonus that way.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Sunday was a sore day, mostly in my right quad, but I felt surprisingly pretty good. I was tempted to go for a run in the beautiful snow but then decided that would be stupid. Kody & I played in the snow instead. My son was supposed to be confirmed Sunday but my wife was in KC and her flight to Minneaplis was canceled due to weather. Sunday they were going to fly her from KC > Atlanta > Milwaukee > Mpls but after she got to Atlanta she found out the flight to Milwaukee was canceled. She would have been better off staying in KC where she could have stayed with friends. She finally made it home Monday night. We're going to have to reschedule Confirmation for another day.

Monday was one last recovery day. Finally got out running again Tuesday. Did a quick 6 miles with Kody. I felt pretty rough for a mile, particularly my right quad, but in time everything started feeling good and I was able to pick up the pace and even managed a couple of sub 9:00 miles. For you OCD folks, you'll be happy to hear that when I arrived at my driveway with 5.96 on my Garmin, I continued past my house and ended up with 6.00 exactly.

I'm heading out again tonight for 10.

April Progress:
    86 out of 150 miles

nice job getting back into it! I'm scheduled for rest until Tuesday, so I'm getting envious of your running again already!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Sunday was a sore day, mostly in my right quad, but I felt surprisingly pretty good. I was tempted to go for a run in the beautiful snow but then decided that would be stupid. Kody & I played in the snow instead. My son was supposed to be confirmed Sunday but my wife was in KC and her flight to Minneaplis was canceled due to weather. Sunday they were going to fly her from KC > Atlanta > Milwaukee > Mpls but after she got to Atlanta she found out the flight to Milwaukee was canceled. She would have been better off staying in KC where she could have stayed with friends. She finally made it home Monday night. We're going to have to reschedule Confirmation for another day.

Monday was one last recovery day. Finally got out running again Tuesday. Did a quick 6 miles with Kody. I felt pretty rough for a mile, particularly my right quad, but in time everything started feeling good and I was able to pick up the pace and even managed a couple of sub 9:00 miles. For you OCD folks, you'll be happy to hear that when I arrived at my driveway with 5.96 on my Garmin, I continued past my house and ended up with 6.00 exactly.

April Progress:
    86 out of 150 miles

nice job getting back into it! I'm scheduled for rest until Tuesday, so I'm getting envious of your running again already!

Slacker!! ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

April Progress:
    86 out of 150 miles

Slacker!! ;)

I know... ugh
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    I may or may not have just lost my mind a little bit and signed up for a 30k trail race in October.

@noblsheep fantastic! Having lost your mind will definitely be to your advantage during the race.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    I may or may not have just lost my mind a little bit and signed up for a 30k trail race in October.

you have a ton of time to get ready for it. I'll say that you haven't lost your mind at all.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@PastorVincent sorry to hear about your long run, but getting 21 miles before walking sounds pretty good. You'll get it sorted it out before race day, I'm sure. Have ever weighed yourself before and after a long run to get a sense of how much water you loose per hour? It will vary with temperature, to be sure, but if you do that at various temps you can figure out how much water you've lost.

I did last year, it was something like 3+ pounds an hour in the summer. I have lost enough on a run to the point my belt bag is able to slide off when it started snug.

This weekend is to be in the 50's which is much closer to normal for race day than the temps of the last long run. I am just not sure if I should try the tailwind again or abandon it and go back to last years plans of scaps and clifboks + propel.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 @MNLittleFinn @PastorVincent Shoulda known y'all would say that! Thanks for the support and encouragement! Will try to remember it when I'm tired and muddy. :smiley:

Just looked up last year's route, a third of it was on stone steps. Hmm. Seeing lots of stairs in my future.