GUYS: HOW MUCH WOUND U SPEND ON A RING

Options
15678911»

Replies

• chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    She can buy her own damn ring. I don't care how much she spends on herself!
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all the pages and I am sure, by now, someone has hit on the semi political side of this. It isn't even about blood diamonds (although that is a huge issue). I get irritated that the diamond industry is so manipulated and completely dishonest. If you read a little about the history of the deBeers Cartel you might be mortified. Aside from the fact that diamonds are in no way rare, it is a complete fallacy that they hold their value. Have you ever known someone to sell their diamond, even one barely used, and get anywhere near close to what they paid for it?

Anyhow.. nobody wants to hear about that when they are getting engaged :) I have researched this and decided I want either a moissanite or an Amora gem when they become available in the US. If you knew the waiting lists for those things, they would seem an awful lot more rare and precious :) They are a fraction of the cost of diamonds, they supercede diamonds in nearly every way with clarity, color, fire, sparkle and hardness. They are worlds away from cubic zirconia. I am not cheap and I am also not pretentious. I like pretty jewelry and I am practical. I am not the type to buy a Coach purse for its name either. If it is really pretty and I love it... why spend all the money on the status it supposedly gives? Anyhow, that's me.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing to do is figure out what you want to pay for something like that at maximum, then go for MULTIPLE trips to various places. Find something that she falls in love with and see if its in the price range... if not find something similar that has a cheaper price tag.

That's what we did and we paid cash. If you feel like the ring isn't "all there"... wait a bit and put additional pieces on. We did that too and it works great. I'm blown away I haven't lost it yet after four years. I've NEVER pulled that off with jewelery before. Must be the love! :)
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    My wedding set was just under $100. His band was just over. I love my rings.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Sorry I just don't get people who spend a fortune on rings and wedding ceremonies and get loans for that ish.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    My husband let me choose my engagement ring. It was 300 dollars and it was on sale. I love my ring and it looks very vintage. For our anniversary he got me a ring guard to add onto it (also 300 dollars). Our wedding bands cost us less than 20 bucks (simple titanium bands) off amazon. Love them all. It's not the cost. It's what it symbolizes.

We also had a small wedding/vacation/family reunion in Las Vegas. We spent 700 dollars on our wedding tops.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOTHING ever again. After 34 years of marriage, being married at me 18 and her 17, if anything were to ever happen to her.......................... I sure as hell would never do that again.

are you saying you wouldn't marry again after your wife, or that you regret having married her in the first place? not sure where this was coming from or going?

The meaning is simple, "After 34 years of marriage, being married at me 18 and her 17, if anything were to ever happen to her.......................... I sure as hell would never do that again"
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOTHING ever again. After 34 years of marriage, being married at me 18 and her 17, if anything were to ever happen to her.......................... I sure as hell would never do that again.

are you saying you wouldn't marry again after your wife, or that you regret having married her in the first place? not sure where this was coming from or going?

The meaning is simple, "After 34 years of marriage, being married at me 18 and her 17, if anything were to ever happen to her.......................... I sure as hell would never do that again"

Sad really....:cry:

But on another note, I would rather have a Sapphire please :heart:
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Options
    I never really understood why some couples go overboard over a diamond ring anyway...The way I see it, the marriage is just beginning. Save the expensive ring for the 10th wedding anniversary and renew your vows. After 10 years with the same person and learning all the things you love and DONT love so much, you deserve it. lol

You have got it 100 percent correct
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Options

Sad really....:cry:

But on another note, I would rather have a Sapphire please :heart:

Some things are once in a lifetime event.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When I find the right woman, I'll buy her a ring the size of a dinner plate.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Haven't you heard what jewlers say....at least three months salary (before taxes).

Sounds legit.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    When I find the right woman, I'll buy her a ring the size of a dinner plate.

Those are some meaty fingers you are working on fitting, eh?
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Options
    Haven't you heard what jewlers say....at least three months salary (before taxes).

Sounds legit.

Do you believe the business that profits from the sale to tell you how much money you MUST spend? That is like trusting the realtor to tell you how much of a house you MUST buy or having the automobile dealers to tell you how much you MUST spend on a car.

No, I think what you purchase has to be a decision left to the buyer.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Options
    Ok not giving much helpfull answer here but i think i would save for a year on wedding ring and would try to save as much as possible (that is IF i would be marrying) and think i should come up with around 4-5 months salary for a ring then

But have to say that will also never happen cause i have already decided i WON'T get married (and people may say, well you have not found the right girl) but i don't wanna find a girl that's want to get married actually, probably rare to find

Never say never. I believe you "have no plans at this time to get married" is more accurate in reality.
  • Timshel_
    Options

Sounds legit.

Do you believe the business that profits from the sale to tell you how much money you MUST spend? That is like trusting the realtor to tell you how much of a house you MUST buy or having the automobile dealers to tell you how much you MUST spend on a car.

No, I think what you purchase has to be a decision left to the buyer.

Hence the sarcasm, sir.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Obviously not a guy, but gonna post anyway.

I'm not a jewelry lover- told my ex the same- so when my ex did present me with an expensive ring I was a bit worried, since that showed where he was placing all his priorities.

It's just a symbol, and not the actual definition of being engaged or married... what happens if you lose it? Are you then "un-engaged" or divorced? I understand it's a lovely gift, but it shouldn't be the be-all end-all in a relationship...

Wouldn't mind a vending machine ring for a quarter this time around, as long as it was bought with love. :heart:
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    5-7k
  • KBoddu
    KBoddu Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My ring is quite obscene, but my husband is a doctor and we married in our late 20's. We are both well established professionals with no debt. Everyone has different situations and things they like. If you have no money then don't kill yourself over the ring. After all, it comes down to priorities. We have no kids and no debt, so we enjoy our frivolous shopping trips. Once we have kids the priorities will change. ;) Spend what you can afford that doesn't keep you awake at night worrying. Chances are if the girl loves you she will be happy just to know you want to marry her.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I would spend ZERO.

This is gonna sound nuts coming from a 22 year old female but I agree with ^this guy. It's not to say I don't believe in marriage or anything, I just don't believe in what it's become and all the "stuff" that goes along with it. You have to buy the girl a ring with a diamond, then you need the bands. Then you have to buy the dress and the cake and it seems like it never ends. Some can afford a big wedding and some can only afford a small one and either way if they can afford what they've planned and they want to celebrate then that's cool. My mentality has just always been that with however much money you do spend on the rings and the wedding you could spend it on something else in your life together. But again....I'm not saying engagement rings are bad (expensive or not, they're pretty and I'm happy for all you ladies who got em), just saying to me it's not worth it.