GUYS: HOW MUCH WOUND U SPEND ON A RING

Options

Replies

• pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My suggestion.... I really wouldn't spend a lot for 2 reasons...

1. You are just starting out and you will certainly need the money whether you think you will or not

2. Should your marriage succeed (and it takes a LOT of work) then celebrate it with a more expensive ring at your 10, 20, or 25 yr anniversary.

My ring cost around $900 and I absolutely love it! I am not materialistic though and would rather my husband take me on a vacation than spend a lot on jewelry. It's a nice gesture to buy an expensive ring, but not a big deal in my personal opinion.

So totally agree with this. When you hit 5 or 10 yrs...go upgrade it.
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    the ring I picked out (before we saw the price haha) is 2,299.99.... We're really tight on money but I offered to help pay for it... I realize "it's the guys job" or whatever to get the ring...but i feel since i got to pick it out i could help pay for it =P I dont know if this helps at all... but it's an option
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My rings was a lil over $800.. its Tungsten and has 1/10ct dimond row down the middle its a beautiful ring i love it. It just says i'm married.. does not look like a casual ring that doesnt fit on any other finger. my wifes ring cost me $4,200 and it was a set.. we bought it before the date it was even suppose to go on display...
  • evgenythe2nd
    evgenythe2nd Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    350$
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I love my ring and my then-fiance bought it for me when we were piss poor. We literally had nothing and he was able to pull enough together to buy me what he knew I would like and it was exactly what I wanted. It's nothing fancy, but neither am I. If he wants to upgrade it on one of our big anniversaries, I won't stop him, but this ring holds a lot of sentimental value to me and I wouldn't do it on my own.

I'd love it just as much if it were fake. Anyone with any class wouldn't walk up to you and ask if it's real. However, if you don't make a ton of money and people who know you know that, then walking around with a 3 carat fake will definitely tip people off. Get what is affordable. The ring does not make the marriage.
  • MozzarellaSheep
    MozzarellaSheep Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My ring cost $60, and I cherish it.
    It shouldn't be about the price tag. It is about the commitment.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm a jewerly person, so I love the bigger the better!
    YET...my boyfriend was just getting home from Iraq and we already had a baby so I said something like not "huge".
    Should of let him....he had alot of deployment money ;-)

Anyways... He spent about 3 grand on my ring. I also have 2 diamond bands added on as of now (4.5 years later)....so maybe 4 grand now?
    So 3 months pay? --- was about right.
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    nlpqud.gif

Practical, inexpensive, fits my macros. What else can a girl ask for?
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    @Cherry I think its so cool you don't know how much was spent....its the surprise factor to me makes it more special

I have a rough idea... but i dont know the actual figure. We had discussed what type of ring id like before the proposal (cant remember how it got brought into the conversation) but he got just what i wanted.

Our wedding bands cost around £400GBP
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I read this today....."Neither the size of your diamond or the extravagance of your wedding will make your marriage last. That takes something money can not buy" I loved it. I don't know what my finace spent on my ring, and I don't want to know, nor does it really matter to me for that reason, yes I love it and it is beautiful, but it is not what is going to make our marriage last. He should spend what he is comfortable spending, and in my opinion, you don't really need to know what he spends.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    The rule I was told was 2 months salary.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    An engagement ring is a terrible investment in your future. If you look at the history of the engagement ring, it was a tradition that started in the 1930's as the result of a worldwide marketing campaign. If you can afford one, great. if you can't, please don't sell a body part to make the payments and start your future off on financially sound footing. The #1 reason marriages fail is over finances.

With all that being said, I was young, foolish. I spent every penny I had saved since high school and college. I asked her to marry me in our senior year of college. Eventually, I had to sell a few treasured possessions to afford the down payment on our first house.

Don't forget: You still have to pay for the wedding. (That's more money that you're not getting back!)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't think I would ever "upgrade" or get rid of my original ring because in the future we could afford more. Add to it, maybe? Anniversary bands are out there, but I wouldn't get rid of the ring he got for me, because to me there is nothing better than the one he gave to me on the day he asked me to be his wife, it is more about what it represents and less about what it costs.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    $20
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go with a really inexpensive ring and then upgrade on an anniversary like someone else said.

I don't think your advice will be taken. I think it needs to look good on Facebook.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm a material girl. De Beers all the way.
    Gimme one o' them *blood* diamonds! :laugh:

I eat meat, wear leather and fur. I drive cars, fly air plains.

Lets be real. I can care less about those bloody diamonds.
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You should buy a lovely, well made used ring with some history rather than a new ring a Zales or another crap store. Your money is better spent elsewhere. This article is extreme but if you do some research you may come to find that it isn't any industry you're not willing to support. http://www.policymic.com/articles/51981/how-a-clear-worthless-stone-with-a-brilliant-marketing-campaign-conquered-the-world

Basically what tomomatic said. It is a tradition founded in capitalism much like the wedding industry.
  • FishingGuy75
    FishingGuy75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    None. I made that mistake once in my life and I can't see ever doing it again.