• Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    about tree fiddy.

:laugh:
  • ClawCat
    ClawCat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is not a set amount. Choose a ring you like within a range you can afford. Simple as that.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    The diamond industry says you should spend three months' salary.

It's funny how we let the diamond industry tell us how much we should be spending on diamonds.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I'd rather spend the money on a down payment on a home but you can find a decent 1.5ct princess cut for under $3000
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I splurged on the ring. $4k almost 20 years ago.
    On the other hand, we had a very modest wedding that we paid for and a honeymoon paid for by her parents, so we were mindful of not starting married life in debt.
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    get a fugazi
  • rheum109
    rheum109 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would not spend more then you are comfortable with, but it has to be something you would wear with pride, as it is a symbol of your love not your bank account (IMO)
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm married to my 2nd hubby... 1st hubby spent $1800 on a diamond solitaire ring that I kept after our divorce... 2nd hubby got to trade in my first hubby's ring for $2500 and got a $5k engagement ring for me for only $2500. He only spent that though after saving up for it.
  • ketomama34
    ketomama34 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think we spent around $200 for the engagement ring which was actually a promise ring (at Zales). Then got the wedding band for $350. My finger started breaking out because the rings were open backed and water was getting trapped, so we went in to see what they could do. They said as long as you spend $200 dollars more than you originally paid per ring you can upgrade and you get the full price you paid to use towards the new rings! So remember you can spend less now and upgrade later when its easier to afford.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    There is a very old tradition that has been around as long as the idea of wedding rings themselves that the man must spend 3 months salary on a wedding ring. I feel, however, that this is an outdated tradition that is unrealistic in today's day and age because back then it was relatively easy for a man to get a job that pays enough money to support a family with no additional income. Changes in the economy (cost of living vs. income) mean that a much smaller portion of the population will be able to get a job that can pay that kind of money.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Find a ring you like, and that you're both comfortable with spending the money on.

10 years ago I go my wife's ring for about $3500 (after haggling) and had it appraised for more than double that (for insurance purposes). I always tell her she needs to lose it.

That's about where we were to, but we've been married 15 years. I have no idea what wedding rings cost now.

ETA: We also got married at the courthouse on a Monday morning and I wore a $20 dress.
  • Judith652
    Judith652 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If your fiancé is going to save make it for your future together, a deposit on a house or something.

My engagement ring was £99 and my wedding ring was £11.25. We started the way we meant to go on and as a result we will be 17 years happily married this year, plenty of cross words but never over money. I'd rather spend lots of money on a fantastic holiday creating memories or a home for our family.

I should say he's not a total cheapskate, this Christmas he did surprise me with the type of ring I've always wanted, but true to form he got it on sale!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 I was an idiot an got engaged. I dropped $10,000 on the ring. Never again...
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go with a really inexpensive ring and then upgrade on an anniversary like someone else said.
  • eahill4
    eahill4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The ring doesn't make the marriage last.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Society has made us all believe we need to run out and spend two months salary or more on a ring - it's laughable. Spend that money on your time together, do not go in debt - it doesn't mean you love each other less if you have smaller rings. There are a ton of divorces out there had gigantic wings and wedding receptions. None of that matters IMO, be with someone you love and care for regardless. The only people who make out on big extravagant rings are the jewelers.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    There is no rule. Do the best you can do.

And obviously I can't speak for every woman, but I most certainly do NOT want to participate in picking out the ring. I would hope the man I'm marrying can handle that part himself. Then again, I'm also not the kind of woman to look a man in the eye after he just asked me to spend the rest of my life with him and say "Okay, but can we upgrade this?"
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    buy what you can afford in cash comfortably. it's not a good idea to go into debt over a ring that can be upgraded in the future. weddings are expensive as it is. if you commit to be together forever then the extra fancy ring can wait until complete financial security is achieved.

Amen! It's not about money anyway... something you're both happy with now and later... huge payment book shows up in the mail 30 days later, you're not going to be a happy with it. On a side note, I'm very sentimental and would never trade my ring for the world. For some guys it's a pride thing they will never get over. It really does have to be right for both of you though. Also, size does not have to mean huge cost. There are many options. Just more food for thought.... I plan to hand my ring down to my children some day and I wanted something that would be special. It didn't impact the cost, but it was something we talked about. With that said my engagement ring cost about $3500- way under the 3 month salary and it's absolutely amazing.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I have my ring picked out LOL it costs 2399 and the wedding band is 800. We are currently saving for a house so I don't expect the ring anytime soon...
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My husband didnt spend the three months salary as is the typical rule. I said it was a waste for something that is to be worn everyday and I also got a wedding set vs just an engagement ring since we decided it was a better value. Grand total we spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 5k.