GUYS: HOW MUCH WOUND U SPEND ON A RING

Options

Replies

• sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Mine was about 2,500 but believe my b/f got it on sale for around 1,500 plus we payed for the lifetime warranty... We went together and he wanted me to pick the one I liked best:love:
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a need or desire to have a wedding band. A nice engagement ring will do me just fine. Never saw the point of 2 rings.

My wife's engagement ring was in the style of a half eternity ring set with (small) rubies, emeralds and diamonds (really small ones!) That ring means a lot more to her than the wedding ring ever will because the engagement ring is about love, the wedding ring is simply about formalizing what was already there ;-)
    And... congratulations!

Exactly
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    got to factor in: how much goes out in bills? will you be paying for the wedding, too? will he be paying cash or financing?

different people are in different financial posisitons. one person will look at a $5,000 ring and say "that's too much," and some will look at one and say "that's not enough."

knowwatimsaying?
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Between 1000-5000, there's no way I'd either pay 3 months of my salary for a ring :laugh:
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My ring was £100.

Nothing special, but it was the one I was drawn to the most.

It did unfortunately lose a stone so I had to get it repaired and then for it to lose that stone again! I took it back and wanted a different ring which was worth £80.

I'd be too afraid to wear an expensive ring - I'd probably lose it or break it.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend mentioned saving for a ring since he just started a great new job. We talked about it and neither of us really know an appropriate amount to spend on a ring. I have heard something about 3 months salary, but that seems...a little crazy to me. How much would you spend on a ring? Any women who are buying engagement rings are welcome to respond too. No judging here.

It depends on the two of you. I personally think the people who push the three months salary crap are the diamond industry. I know people who have said no because the ring was too small. In my opinion, the guy was better off without. It's not about the ring, but the love you have for one another.

I also know people who went with the cheapest ring they could find because they didn't want to start a life together with a massive amount of debt that neither could afford. To me, this makes sense as long as the ring is something that is pleasing to the person who will be wearing it (hopefully) for the rest of their life. That last bit to me is what makes the most sense in choosing a ring.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Around $500-1,000.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Around $500-1,000.

Dude. I am not doing that special thing you like for eternity if you don't spend at least 3k on mine.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    $.50
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    My suggestion.... I really wouldn't spend a lot for 2 reasons...

1. You are just starting out and you will certainly need the money whether you think you will or not

2. Should your marriage succeed (and it takes a LOT of work) then celebrate it with a more expensive ring at your 10, 20, or 25 yr anniversary.

My ring cost around $900 and I absolutely love it! I am not materialistic though and would rather my husband take me on a vacation than spend a lot on jewelry. It's a nice gesture to buy an expensive ring, but not a big deal in my personal opinion.

Agreed. My first set was $1,000. Just last year, our 15 yr. ann., my husband surprised me with an add on that he saved up for and was $3,000. (I unfortunately found the receipt. I'd rather not know what he spends on things for me. I'm just happy with the gesture.)
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    $.50

This might explain why you are still single Tyler... :bigsmile:
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    got to factor in: how much goes out in bills? will you be paying for the wedding, too? will he be paying cash or financing?

different people are in different financial posisitons. one person will look at a $5,000 ring and say "that's too much," and some will look at one and say "that's not enough."

knowwatimsaying?

Good point. As far as the wedding it will be cheap and small (like 20 people maybe less. My boyfriend's family consists for 5 people so I don't wanna have him feel too out numbered). I don't even want to have a wedding party (bridesmaids and all) b/c that's just other folks clothes you have to pay for and more variables for things to go wrong with the wedding. I have 2 DJ friend/family members, a makeup artist, and a beautiful cheap (possibly free) location.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask his brothers on FB.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Around $500-1,000.

Dude. I am not doing that special thing you like for eternity if you don't spend at least 3k on mine.

Bwahahahahaha!!

In all seriousness though, why spend a bunch of money on a ring? The amount I spend isn't equal to how I feel and love cannot be quantified with money. I also do not see the point in a huge wedding. Couples start out with enough debt most of the time as it is. I personally enjoy funding my retirement accounts more.

So if a girl is hung up on the price of the ring rather than the fact that I proposed, she isnt the right one for me.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Tattoos....shows you're serious and for life. Also, much cheaper, doesn't get lost, can't be taken off, no need to resize when you gain or lose weight, and many other reasons.
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    My husband spent £200 (about $300 I think) on an engagement ring 2 years after we got married, I was more interested in us being married and starting a life together than the ring. I'd prefer him to be saving for our life together than the ring I think but that's just an opinion and i'm not a guy so shouldn't even be posting really... sorry!
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My suggestion.... I really wouldn't spend a lot for 2 reasons...

1. You are just starting out and you will certainly need the money whether you think you will or not

2. Should your marriage succeed (and it takes a LOT of work) then celebrate it with a more expensive ring at your 10, 20, or 25 yr anniversary.

My ring cost around $900 and I absolutely love it! I am not materialistic though and would rather my husband take me on a vacation than spend a lot on jewelry. It's a nice gesture to buy an expensive ring, but not a big deal in my personal opinion.

I agree! And I am not even married lol
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I prefer mine to be less than $1k. It would be bad enough to lose it for sentimental reasons, but I'd hate to have a heart attack over financial ones as well.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    diamonds are a common mineral and used in all sorts of industrial applications.

the prices for diamond jewelry are artificial and due to a cartel controlling the world's supply and their expensive marketing campaign (De Beers).

save the money. spend it on something practical that the two of you can use when embarking on your life together (such as a down payment on a home).

my $0.02.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I whish I could have bought her a really nice ring 3-5 thousand range but in reality my engagement ring was a simple 600 dollar small carat diamond ring nice and simple. We enjoyed our honeymoon in Key West and came back and took her (my stepdaughter) daughter to cedar point and stayed a the nice suites at the park for 3 nights and spent 2 days at the park. I would much rather spend the money on a nice honeymoon than a very expensive ring any day.