GUYS: HOW MUCH WOUND U SPEND ON A RING

Options
MeIShouldB
MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
My boyfriend mentioned saving for a ring since he just started a great new job. We talked about it and neither of us really know an appropriate amount to spend on a ring. I have heard something about 3 months salary, but that seems...a little crazy to me. How much would you spend on a ring? Any women who are buying engagement rings are welcome to respond too. No judging here.

Replies

• MeIShouldB
    Options
    pardon the typo in the title.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend more than I could afford. lol Helpful, I know. ;)
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    I wouldn't spend more than I could afford. lol Helpful, I know. ;)

Amen hunnie LOL
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    buy what you can afford in cash comfortably. it's not a good idea to go into debt over a ring that can be upgraded in the future. weddings are expensive as it is. if you commit to be together forever then the extra fancy ring can wait until complete financial security is achieved.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The diamond industry says you should spend three months' salary. But go with your instincts. An engagement ring isn't even actually required. If you'd rather spend the money on something useful, either forego the ring altogether or get something less expensive. If it isn't important to you to have an expensive, fancy ring, you don't have to have one!
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I agree. There is no "rule". Just make sure you can afford it. No sense on getting into debt for a ring.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    about tree fiddy.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    there is no rule.

I'm lucky, mine will be my grandmothers.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend mentioned saving for a ring since he just started a great new job. We talked about it and neither of us really know an appropriate amount to spend on a ring. I have heard something about 3 months salary, but that seems...a little crazy to me. How much would you spend on a ring? Any women who are buying engagement rings are welcome to respond too. No judging here.

The 1% rule of his year's take home earnings. Anything more than that is way too pricey. He shouldn't be feeling as though he is losing a limb.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Find a ring you like, and that you're both comfortable with spending the money on.

10 years ago I go my wife's ring for about $3500 (after haggling) and had it appraised for more than double that (for insurance purposes). I always tell her she needs to lose it.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My suggestion.... I really wouldn't spend a lot for 2 reasons...

1. You are just starting out and you will certainly need the money whether you think you will or not

2. Should your marriage succeed (and it takes a LOT of work) then celebrate it with a more expensive ring at your 10, 20, or 25 yr anniversary.

My ring cost around $900 and I absolutely love it! I am not materialistic though and would rather my husband take me on a vacation than spend a lot on jewelry. It's a nice gesture to buy an expensive ring, but not a big deal in my personal opinion.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I know this sound super cheap but they make really good looking fake diamonds now days. Get a real gold setting a nice good quality fake and spend the money on something else. Do you really think anybody in their right mind would assume an engagement ring is fake?

My ring is real but I wouldn't have loved it any less if it was fake.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    The "wound" in the title is appropriate. It depends on the woman. Some women would be devastated if you didn't spend three months salary as the industry suggests. Others would be happy with something small and meaningful. My ex didn't want me to spend a ton, so I didn't. When and if I get married again, I will do the best I can to make her happy. Ultimately, the ring is as valuable as the two of you decide it is.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    go shopping with him.. You select the types of rings that you like.
    Let him decide if can pay for it in a reasonable amount of time.
    talke about together. If you guys can't get on the same page about a ring.......
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'd say whatever you can afford now without going seriously into debt. You can always upsize later. My engagement ring cost $700 and was modest and I ended up not wearing it when I started having babies anyway. In recent years (we've been married 11), I exchanged my $65 wedding band for a small five stone and my engagement ring for a vintage Art Deco diamond ring.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and I shopped for my ring together. It was far less than the 3 month salary rule (it helped we got it in a big sale), but it wasn't important to me to have something expensive, we both agreed we would splash out a little more on our wedding rings later, the engagement ring is a symbol. And I love my ring!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't want something super fancy and expensive. If it sends him into debt, then it isn't worth it.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    mine was about 1500 plus we payed for the lifetime warranty... just make sure you follow the guidelines to the warranty because my SIL didnt and her diamond ended up falling out and she had to pay to replace it. I got mine from Kays I went with him to pick it out he but it on lay-away so he could suprise me with it when he was ready to ask me ... look into the bridal sets ... the band I got for the wedding was about 700
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    I know this sound super cheap but they make really good looking fake diamonds now days. Get a real gold setting a nice good quality fake and spend the money on something else. Do you really think anybody in their right mind would assume an engagement ring is fake?

My ring is real but I wouldn't have loved it any less if it was fake.

You don't sound cheap. To be real I saw some pretty nice rings at walmart.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The worse thing you all could do is spend too much on a ring and then be miserable because of it. My wife is definitely not a jewelry person so probably way to easy for me. Her original ring (same ring new setting and diamond now) was actually from my mother. It was a very small diamond (probably 1/8th caret) in a sort of fancy setting that made it look bigger. I replaced the diamond and setting a couple years back as a Christmas gift and had the original diamond put into a pendant which my wife was very happy about. So buy what you can afford today but try to find something from a ring standpoint that can support a future upgrade if you all decide to go that route. Good luck!

Oh and the old 3 month thing was back when housing and other expenses weren't so high. Parting with 3 month salary for a ring is a lot, you will likely end up paying for that for years.