GUYS: HOW MUCH WOUND U SPEND ON A RING

Options

Replies

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that it should be one month of paychecks worth.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Find a ring you like, and that you're both comfortable with spending the money on.

10 years ago I go my wife's ring for about $3500 (after haggling) and had it appraised for more than double that (for insurance purposes). I always tell her she needs to lose it.

Nice. Thanks.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    This may sound odd but my wife and I were just starting our careers when we got engaged so I bought one second hand. Paid less than half the appraised value and then put the stone in a new ring setting. We both agreed on that ring so no surprises and she loves it to this day.

I plan to buy her a new ring for our 15th in a few years, but it will be a band or something not a new ring.

The ring is a symbol, not the size of the ring but the ring itself. Believe me, when you buy a house and have children you will want the money back. My friend bought his wife a $15K ring and they struggled for a few yrs to pay it off....not a great way to start your new lives together.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My ring was also around $3500, after some haggling. We decided on that number because that is what could be paid off completely within a year. Now that we've paid the ring off, we decided to wait on getting a wedding band for me. He's just going to give me my engagement ring again at the ceremony.

We got a really good deal (40% off) his wedding band, which will cost around $280.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    according to that rule, my husband would have spent almost $15k on my ring. Instead, for both my engagement ring and band, he paid about $1,500. It's absolutely perfect. It isn't a big rock, but it's a high quality rock. Completely colorless and completely clear. You'd be amazed how big a difference that makes.

it depends on who you are. Would you like something smaller with higher quality? would you like an antique ring? Or do you demand a 5 carat cushion cut ring? Communicate your expectations, and be patient if that's what it means.

And by no means go into debt over the ring. That is just so damn TACKY if nothing else.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I, personally, need a platinum ring (allergic to everything else) so I know my prices are higher than normal. I don't even care if he buys it at a thrift shop, estate sale, whatever. I REALLY don't want to spend over $2,000 (MAX) but I know that's going to be difficult with my needs.

And good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The concept that it should be a percentage of someone's yearly income always makes me angry. People should get what they're able to afford and willing to pay.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a jewelry store and it would kill me to see these young couples come in and put themselves into debt for years and years over a piece of jewelry. (I was obviously a really bad salesperson). Three months salary is a ridiculous amount of money to spend. Spend what you're comfortable with; don't start off your marriage with a huge amount of debt.
  • cjhex
    cjhex Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For an engagement ring, he has to find the right ring. Price is secondary. Something simple but not so delicate it's going to break. The design is more important than the stones. Remember, how ever stunning the engagement ring is, the wedding ring has to complement it and can't be upstaged by it!
    Something that is suited to you and your character. He needs to think about design rather than price :-)
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think whatever you're both comfortable spending in cash. I don't think a ring is worth going into debt over! There's too many way more important things that will come up that you'll need money for. You can always get a new ring or upgrade later. I specifically told my now-husband NOT to spend more than X amount cuz that was just absurd to me to spend so much money on a piece of jewelry when we still had the wedding to pay for... a house... a car... bills... etc.

That said, I know a couple people who've insisted their boyfriends take out loans to get them the ring they deemed "acceptable". :huh:
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    traditionally its 1 months salary but just go for what you like, you have to have this on your finger for the rest of your life, get something you like and practical :) congratulations on your engagement btw.
  • dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When i finally get round to doing the deed (we decided a house to live in was more important), my girlfriend decided that she wants to give me something of equal value in return. The idea is she gets something she wants, I get something I want. What could be more fair than that? Equality and all...

It also means we will keep things simple - I already know what ring she wants and the price, i just need to decide what drum kit/guitar she needs to buy me :D
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    This may sound odd but my wife and I were just starting our careers when we got engaged so I bought one second hand. Paid less than half the appraised value and then put the stone in a new ring setting. We both agreed on that ring so no surprises and she loves it to this day.

Great idea. and yea 15K is waaaaay to freaking much for anything you can't live in LOL.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    The 3 mths salary idea was a marketing ploy, not a rule or standard. You buy what you can afford as with anything in life. The ring doesn't make the marriage nor should it be the center of it.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    The other day it was facebook drama and now it is shopping for a ring? Ok.
    Go shopping together and get a grasp on how much various rings cost and figure out what is in your appropriate price range and budget accordingly.
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    I don't really have a need or desire to have a wedding band. A nice engagement ring will do me just fine. Never saw the point of 2 rings.
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    The other day it was facebook drama and now it is shopping for a ring? Ok.
    Go shopping together and get a grasp on how much various rings cost and figure out what is in your appropriate price range and budget accordingly.

Hmm.... dont really see how my previous post at all relates to this one.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I think it's a pretty personal thing and there's no right or wrong answer. The 3 months salary thing is ridiculous, IMO. Depending on his salary, that could buy a brand new car or a hefty down payment on a house, etc. If he wants to spend that much, fine, but it's a lame "rule" that doesn't need to be followed. The anything over 1% of his take home is too much, is equally ridiculous, IMO. If you're both happy with spending under that much, cool, but more than that is NOT too much if you can afford it and want to spend more.

Anyway, you guys figure out what's right and what you can afford. And remember, his debt will be your debt.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Made me think of this.....

RON WHITE
    [On DeBeer's diamond slogans]

The old slogan was "Diamonds: Take her breath away. The new slogan now is "Diamonds: Render her speechless." Why don't they just go ahead and say it? "Diamonds: That'll shut her up... for a minute."
  • cjhex
    cjhex Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a need or desire to have a wedding band. A nice engagement ring will do me just fine. Never saw the point of 2 rings.

My wife's engagement ring was in the style of a half eternity ring set with (small) rubies, emeralds and diamonds (really small ones!) That ring means a lot more to her than the wedding ring ever will because the engagement ring is about love, the wedding ring is simply about formalizing what was already there ;-)
    And... congratulations!