Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 - I'd count last night as a huge victory. You practiced moderation successfully, so many kudos. You did it and you definitely strengthened that control muscle. It's got to give you at least a little confidence that you are getting a handle on these situations. I absolutely know that feeling of one isn't enough and we're off to the races with three or beyond. I'm not the biggest mixed drink person, but, man, I adore a good cosmo. I could easily drink three.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies - oh I totally get the scheduling of the moderation. I've stopped because it was turning into a requirement that I drink X on X days. I'm now shooting for "occasion" drinking, which mostly means away from home. I've had, I believe, two glasses of wine in the last three weeks, and they've all been away from home. Right now that plan is working pretty well for me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Is anyone drinking for Cinco De Mayo?? I plan on having just 2 glasses of wine and that is it. How about everyone else?

Not only is it Cinco de Mayo it's Derby Day! Tacos and Mint Juleps! :wink:

We have friends that have a big party every year for the Derby but we decided to pass this year, we are going to hang out with the kids as it is my youngest's birthday weekend. So I will probably have a couple glasses of wine or a beer with our tacos, but still practicing my mindful moderation. Sunday we have our annual carnival at church which includes lots of beer, wine and yummy foods (Catholic Church in an all Italian neighborhood!) and since it is my son's actual birthday we are taking the extended family and making that his "party". So I'm sure I will have a couple of beers at that as well.

I may skip drinking tonight even though my "plan" allows for drinking on the weekend - I've not felt too tempted this week and I'm really trying to get in a better habit of longer stretches of no drinking than with drinking. M-Th so far this week has been no problem, it would be good to throw in an alcohol free Friday just for good measure!

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Two drinks last night, which is one more than I wanted to have on week nights.

I didn't even really want the second, I was just feeling . . . petulant and rebellious against myself (if that makes sense?). I got my head together and didn't have a third. I felt like a teenager deliberately breaking the rules to provoke a showdown with a parent, except I was also the parent. It was dumb and I felt dumb so my goal is to remember that it doesn't feel good to be petty.

What was I going to do, ground myself? :D

That makes too much sense to me. I wish it didn't. Where do I get off telling ME what to do? I am not the boss of me!

Good job getting back before the third drink. It may not be the victory you were hoping for but still a victory.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Is anyone drinking for Cinco De Mayo?? I plan on having just 2 glasses of wine and that is it. How about everyone else?

Not only is it Cinco de Mayo it's Derby Day! Tacos and Mint Juleps! :wink:

We have friends that have a big party every year for the Derby but we decided to pass this year, we are going to hang out with the kids as it is my youngest's birthday weekend. So I will probably have a couple glasses of wine or a beer with our tacos, but still practicing my mindful moderation. Sunday we have our annual carnival at church which includes lots of beer, wine and yummy foods (Catholic Church in an all Italian neighborhood!) and since it is my son's actual birthday we are taking the extended family and making that his "party". So I'm sure I will have a couple of beers at that as well.

I may skip drinking tonight even though my "plan" allows for drinking on the weekend - I've not felt too tempted this week and I'm really trying to get in a better habit of longer stretches of no drinking than with drinking. M-Th so far this week has been no problem, it would be good to throw in an alcohol free Friday just for good measure!

Sounds like a good plan. I was thrown at first when u said lots of drinking at church until i saw Catholic LMAO! :D
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @donimfp It is really not as bad as it seems. I am trying to remind myself so it doesn't sneak up on me. That will probably sound totally ridiculous and stupid but I don't want my auto-pilot to engage. I won't do the countdown here anymore though if it is bothering anyone.

@kittybenn While I am not glad you had to go through this I am glad to have your experience as reinforcement.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies, your countdown isn't bothering anyone (certainly not me). We all have our own approaches. Counting down would drive me bananas, but it obviously fits your style. Whatever works!!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I only celebrate Cinco de Cuatro.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @NovusDies, your countdown isn't bothering anyone (certainly not me). We all have our own approaches. Counting down would drive me bananas, but it obviously fits your style. Whatever works!!

It is just a daily reminder. I don't dwell on it all day. Part of it too is trying to make a big deal out of it here so I can use that as added ammunition when the fight does come. If I am victorious then I can come in here and get several pats on the back for my effort.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It is just a daily reminder. I don't dwell on it all day. Part of it too is trying to make a big deal out of it here so I can use that as added ammunition when the fight does come. If I am victorious then I can come in here and get several pats on the back for my effort.[/quote]

Brilliant!
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    a friend and i were talking about how we feel regarding the mental freedom that accompanies drinking. personally i feel we are both kind of repressed by our personal surroundings LOL. be that as it may - i am doing the best i can - in my circumstances not to allow the bottle to get the better of me, as there is a familial history of alcohol abuse wayyyy back. *long long story!!*
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'd like to share one of the region's i have aquite drink to myself is i feel sad, or lonely. I have let go holding it in and want to share it incase others are a little bit the same.
    There are other causes of me drinking but its not ' on the quite ' or alone..., they would be socially..
    Anyhow this is something that i found

https://youtu.be/S5nAdEgH0Ms
    This guy made me laugh

https://goo.gl/images/T2emLa

https://youtu.be/CjUJXJ3y4xM
    This movie is the cutest kids movie