Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato, thanks for that very clear explanation! It makes sense in the context of people who might post spurious or even dangerous “health” advice. For the purposes of this thread, I’m betting that anyone who hits “woo” intends it to mean “Woo hoo! You rock!” Too bad about the ambiguity. It would be nice if it could be renamed something like “Bogus!” like the Car Talk guy (RIP) used to say to his brother.
  • donimfp
    Options
    @JulieAL1969, you are so right that for those of us who started trying to go AF or moderate in January or later this beautiful spring weather brings a whole new set of temptations. Sitting outside on a gorgeous spring/summer evening without a refreshing alcoholic beverage is definitely something I am not accustomed to. Sigh.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    Yeah, the liquor store is calling me, too. It is this month for me, though. Son's birthday is the 23rd, but for those who don't know, he passed 3 years ago at age 22. Oh course Mother's Day is this week. We celebrated my daughter's birthday yesterday. What an absolute beautiful day it was!! The weather was spectacular. We just can't spend time with my son on those days as a family. Oh yeah, and a holiday in May, too, besides??? What triggers are also killing me lately??? WORK DRAMA. There is so much of it that I am dying to leave there. I have 3 clients and 2 have to go, but ONE ASAP. I am trying to hang in there until I can pick up the hours elsewhere. It is so draining the limits that I have to keep setting. Anyways the hot green tea is slowly being made into cold green iced tea. First year for it. It was delightful yesterday. Thank God AF has been working. Lost almost another pound this week. I did a 5k last week for Domestic Violence (ran and walked). I don't have regrets about my addictive behavior with alcohol since being AF. Dealing with life without it has been worth it. Just sick of it calling my name, especially lately. Which means all the more that I need to stay away from it. If I make it without it this month, it will be another huge milestone.

@JulieAL1969 -good job on seeking out the therapist. I have to pick up my search again to find one that deals with trauma and addictions. I think if I at least get the appointment set for June, it will help me hang in there.

I fully sympathise.. it's like your telling my story but in another version..
    There is a kinesiologist therapist i went to for trauma and it really helped. U could see if u have some one there, just make sure they have a high star rating. Someone that knows there stuff.
    We can do this better life style.. it helps us to be stronger in ourselves. .. hope this helps..xo
  • jecky74
    jecky74 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @WinoGelato, thanks for that very clear explanation! It makes sense in the context of people who might post spurious or even dangerous “health” advice. For the purposes of this thread, I’m betting that anyone who hits “woo” intends it to mean “Woo hoo! You rock!” Too bad about the ambiguity. It would be nice if it could be renamed something like “Bogus!” like the Car Talk guy (RIP) used to say to his brother.

Woo to me (and it sounds like everyone else as well) is positive. Seems strange MFP would choose something that means a positive to most people as a negative. Something clearly negative would be less confusing. Who knows how many people got woos by people who thought they were being encouraging.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jecky74 wrote: »

Woo to me (and it sounds like everyone else as well) is positive. Seems strange MFP would choose something that means a positive to most people as a negative. Something clearly negative would be less confusing. Who knows how many people got woos by people who thought they were being encouraging.

Oh believe me, it’s been discussed many times! Look in the search history and you’ll see how many threads have been started that say “what does Woo really mean?”. MFP isn’t exactly known for quick fixes and rapid responses to member requests, so when they created the button in response to users asking for a quick way to “downvote” some of the nonsense that is introduced, everyone was like “whoa, this is great!” And then when we saw they chose something so vague and so confusing, and even at first told people they could use it either positively or negatively, whatever they wanted it to mean - all the veterans were just like “of course (insert eye roll)”.
  • Alzzi76
    Options
    emcbride14 wrote: »
    Wow, so glad I am not the only person that struggles in this area.

Day 2 for me :smile:

Nope,.. we r a team.. <3<3 ..

Today.. day 4.. *flex*,"yes"!,.. im am still AF..
    Yesturday was a difficult one not from influence it was from my emotions.. i was really pent up oe something.. not real sure y.. but i was obiously looking for something that would settle me but, yes i got though. I drank cooled water from the kettle and had more oranges than i was supposed to. I gutted that satisfied the feeling of wanting to do somthing bad..lol
    So.. i think, hope,.. cross my fingers.. today will b a better day :p:)

Luv to u all and have the best day!!..
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    With the crazy amount of calories in alcohol, I think one drink a week or less is all I can afford.
  • Alzzi76
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Btw.. i didn't mean to start anything with the 'Woo's ...*blushing*.. i just wanted to find out if someone had a problem then to let us know and we can sort it out :) .. maybe ;)
    We could just say its means, someones going head over heels in excitement for us.. and thats the face u pull.... (lmao!!)
    Have a happy day.. cheers
  • Alzzi76
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    With the crazy amount of calories in alcohol, I think one drink a week or less is all I can afford.

We'll support u whateva u decide..xo
  • donimfp
    Options
    @NovusDies, we all go through these cycles. I hope you will not be too discouraged. We all have your back. Hope that helps. It certainly helps me.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,187 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I’d just like to say how thankful I am for this thread since January (newcomers definitely included!), for the unexpected loss of a long-term job, and for the totally unexpected gift of a new job where my age is actually a plus. I’ll be a mother figure for the offenders I’ll be teaching. I couldn’t have been that in my 30’s. Their offenses are primarily drug-related, and far be it from me to be insensitive to addiction issues. My takeaway is that things work out, there’s a reason we can’t always see immediately, and the very fact that we’re here and acknowledging our struggles means we’re on the right path. Yay us!

Wonderful! You will make an impact in these people's lives. I'm so happy you found an even better suited job. And yes, I do not judge others for their addictions. I have great empathy, as do all of us on this thread. Congrats on a new adventure!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,187 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    So I paid for my 'indulgences' with an almost sleepless night. I wish I could associate that irritation with the drinking. I am carrying more water right now too so feeling heavy even though I know I didn't hurt myself that badly.

I am definitely feeling a little more triggered right now. Maybe it is the weather. I have also gotten a little lazy with keeping myself distracted. I doubt I am the only one that knocked a few back because of just plain ole stupid boredom.

I am a little irritated the 6th blew up in my face but I have let it go (mostly).

I am going to and I encourage anyone else feeling the pull to do something nice for yourself in the next few days. It doesn't have to be anything big. Just a nicety that will put a smile on your face.

Hang in there! Tomorrow is a new day. Be kind and loving to yourself; i know we can get so frustrated with our choices but at the end of the day we did the best we could for that day. Yes, I agree, plan ahead and we should all do something nice for ourselves. Xo
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @donimfp Good going on the new job!