WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Heather - One of my old HS classmates and her 'significant other' are going to Spain and Portegal in July. They went to Egypt not long ago and had a blast. They go on 2 or 3 cruises a year. Finally, she has found a man who treats her like a princess. But, although she wears a wedding band and engagement ring, they aren't married.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    I love driving alone! When we came cross country, I drove the Honda CRV and DH drove the Moto home. I am glad really that he does not want to tow.

Rita
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Rebecca -- Heard this story on OPB on my drive to work this morning, and thought of you. Best line: "It's hard to be mean when you're naked."

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/04/607764107/this-love-story-started-at-a-nudist-park

Felicia, not a nudist, but LOVED this story
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

Priceless story! I remember going to the Travis AFB Commissary and meeting an elderly gentleman, giving him a polite smile, but inwardly racking my brain, trying to remember where I'd seen him before. I think we both looked wide-eyed at each other at the same time! We smiled, and both said "Laguna Del Sol", in a whispered tone! The name of the clothing optional resort on the far side of Sacramento, CA. Heehee!
    Rebecca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Felicia - you make me want to reread Walden. <3 Totally understand loving to spend time alone and even drive alone. Rita, I especially think getting to destinations in vehicles independent of a spouse riding in the car is, well, healthy, lol. Like Kelly, my DH and used to take separate cars to even go to the diner in town to meet friends for a meal.

Rita
    - loved that cartoon about new neighbors being "Angels". Finally got to meet our new neighbors and their little dogs, half an hour chat over the fence this afternoon. B) Very nice couple - coming from southern CA they have a lot of gardening questions we'll be happy to help them with, plus other questions about the neighborhood and community. I think they'll fit right in! <3

Rebecca - Katla - Heather and all gals who gave input about grumpy husbands and how relationships change over the years, especially when medical things arise with them. Thank you, thank you! Good things to keep in mind. Another reason I appreciate this group so much.

Busy day and am playing catch-up here so will close for now. Welcome new gals and waving to everyone!

Lanette
    Cool & damp SW WA State

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Felicia Thoreau! Such an appropriate quote for our discussion about introversion! Wonderful.

I got through my recertification with 98% on written exam and 100% on practical exam. 3 young women in my group felt as though they needed to “help” me through the practice scenarios earlier in the day. I found this to be annoying & distracting, though I remained polite. They were apparently making some assumptions about my competency. They were disrespectful during the testing phase when it was my turn to act as “team leader”. They were showing each other some apps on their phones instead of attending to the exercise we were starting. I have to say that they were very quiet as I received my critique from the instructor (“excellent job, no mistakes, delegated tasks well, good dynamics re: closed-loop communication with team, etc.”). I felt a bit smug. None of them did as well. :D:D:D

Karen in Virginia glad that’s over

Karen, you rock!!! <3<3 We knew you'd do great!! Hope the "youngsters" learned something today. B)

Lanette -- So proud of my sisters here!!
    SW WA State
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Karen, I love it when the quiet one quietly gets on and performs amazingly well. Good score! <3 Wendy
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    KarenVA- congratulations on your success!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Well wow what a day...long long day..been up since 12:30 am with a 45 min nap a 5:15 am.
    Us girls are having a blast so far.. but I'm pooped, Tom sent a picture of the boys on the bed,so he is doing just fine...night night my Chickie's,going to sleep with the sound of seagulls .
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Karen fantastic!!

Ah, introverts, I am a happy happy one. And I do enjoy people, but appreciate my alone time so much. DH is also an introvert and our DD is clearly an extrovert.

Long day at another solo festival tomorrow. Stay well everyone B)

NYKAREN
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Karen great news on the recertification, you did great.
    Well, I am an extrovert and DH is an introvert. He loves to spend hours on his computer in his man cave. He is making a video of our SE Asia trip. He does a great job. When I go to the Y I usually meet someone in yoga or aerobics and I ask him if he met anyone in the gym and he always says no.
    Heather- we haven’t been to Portugal and would love to go. Maybe next year. We are going to the Baltic States in July and hope to get into Moscow.
    Allison - enjoy your weekend and your friends.
    SueBDew in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did 30 minutes of HIIT today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 10 Pound Slimdown DVD.

After exercise went to get my blood rechecked. Glad it wasn’t a fasting test! Then volunteered at the Green Room. Came home to help Vince with the pool. It’s getting there, but I do think we’ll need a new salt water generator. This one stopped working but Vince cleaned it and it worked. They usually only last a few years and we’ve had it much longer

It was in the 80’s today while we were working on the pool. Hello Coppertone!!!!

Mary – when you say “restrict cabs”, are you including the carbs in fruit and veges? Or just refined carbs (white bread, rice, etc)

Heather – I just finished your book and I have to say, that I was sorry that it ended. I wanted more. When is your sequel coming out?

Wendy – I’ll try putting a dish of something sweet out by the pool. I just hate this carpenter bee. He’s eating the (pressure treated) wood out by the equipment pad. I wouldn’t mind squishing him. In many ways I prefer email to talking on the phone. For one thing, I can do it when it works into my schedule

88_days – welcome!

Lisa – welcome! How horrible that you have those medical conditions, but it sounds like you’re handling them quite well.

You know something? I weighed myself before I went to exercise, while I was there I had a large BM (sorry if this is TMI), then I weighed myself again just for jollies. Do you know that I was 2lbs lighter?

I got this idea for a BB8 cake in my email, but it doesn’t give specific directions. Like it doesn’t say what size pan or cookie cutter to use.

Pam – welcome! Fantastic weight loss

Lenora – “spraying the holes gets a few”, what does he spray with?

Jpb – welcome! Sounds like you have a good handle on taking care of the bloating. It just takes time.

Introvert/Extrovert – Vince is definitely an introvert. He’s happy just being home. Just about every day I have to go out, do something. I really don’t like being at home all the time. I like to be with people. I am trying hard to get Vince to at least get out and do a few things. One time when I had to go for a month without driving, I thought I would go absolutely crazy not being in a group exercise class at least once a week or so. When I had to go for 6 months of no driving, fortunately, Vince took me to exercise class. At first when I was on a driving restriction he wondered how I’d do since the time before it really bothered me not to be with people. But the second time (when he took me to exercise class), I was just fine. I wanted to drive but I knew that I shouldn’t. Knowing that there was a light at the end of the tunnel and being able to be with people some, that got me thru

Bobshuckle – good luck. Tell us more about this challenge

Karen in VA – congrats on the recert!

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Michele - all carbs. But you don't necessarily have to go into ketosis. Just keep it under 100 carbs per day. 50-150g of carbs are most low carb diet amounts. Excess carbs turn to fat.

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.44min, 132mhr, 12.4amph. 1.6mi= 75c
    apple watch- 67c
    TREADMILL, walk- 30min, 3.5sp, 1-10.0incline, 107mhr, 89ahr, 1.73mi= 128c
    apple watch- 126c
    ARM SPIN MACHINE- 20min, 66arpm, 112ahr, 143mhr, 3.22mi= 124c
    apple watch- 112c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 4.59min, 138mhr, 17.7amph, 1.4mi= 52c
    apple watch- 40c
    bike ride puy to sumn sta- 13.16min, 13.8amph, 126ahr, 147mhr, 3mi= 162c
    Apple Watch- 23c
    bike ride from sumn sta 2 wk- 2.29min, 11.5amph, .4mi =cal w/previous ride
    apple watch- 177c
    bike ride wk 2 sumn sta- 2.57min, 10amph, 120mhr,.4mi= 26c
    apple watch- 23c
    bike ride dome 2 gym up Pacific 2 hm- 20.13min, 9.4amph, 154mhr, 3.1mi= 217c
    apple watch- 177c

total cal 810
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Congrats Karen!!!!

Nite ladies.... <3
  • fanncy0626
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Michele- also you need to make sure you are eating enough protein after menopause. I found this information useful. Green leafy veggies are better to eat. Bread and starchy vegetables and high sugar fruits are not good but delicious! There are a lot of substitute Keto options for breads and deserts.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-causes-of-belly-fat-gain#section2

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓