Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Natural foods" vs "others"

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    We’re fighting infographics like this.

We need a CICO infographic and one on moderate consumption. I'm not sure I'm that talented.

Stop eating D.A.F.T foods
    Foods you dislike
    Foods you are allergic to
    Too many calories
    Foods you eat out of fear

Well... there was an attempt

Love it! Now we just need some pictures.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

We need a CICO infographic and one on moderate consumption. I'm not sure I'm that talented.

Foods you dislike
    Too many calories

Sadly I fear many of the younger generations won’t know what “DAFT” means! But I love the attempt!

I’m not a very creative person and won’t even pretend to know what will resonate with a broader audience but what about one of those memes that says, “what I thought CICO was” with an image of someone eating nothing but donuts, doritos and other junk food, and on the other side “what CICO really is” with pictures of lots of different types of nutrient dense foods and a cookie, and a slice of pizza - with a balanced scale that has Calories In on one side and Calories Out on the other.

I like this too. Your attempt star will be much prettier than mine. :grin:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Foods you dislike
    Too many calories

Sadly I fear many of the younger generations won’t know what “DAFT” means! But I love the attempt!

I’m not a very creative person and won’t even pretend to know what will resonate with a broader audience but what about one of those memes that says, “what I thought CICO was” with an image of someone eating nothing but donuts, doritos and other junk food, and on the other side “what CICO really is” with pictures of lots of different types of nutrient dense foods and a cookie, and a slice of pizza - with a balanced scale that has Calories In on one side and Calories Out on the other.

I like this too. Your attempt star will be much prettier than mine. :grin:
    I’m afraid that’s as far as my attempt is going to get, I need to contract out the actual creative design!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Foods you dislike
    Too many calories

That was a tongue in cheek. I'm not cool enough to do anything that would appeal to a broader audience. The issue with showing a balanced diet with a snack thrown in is that it lacks the fear factor so it doesn't have the same impact. It lacks that feeling of belonging to a group that "knows better" and is morally superior. It would be like "the pictures look good, but meh, that's close to how many already eat". No Instagram clean eating virtue signaling and painstakingly composed pictures and deliberate postures that "show" what clean eating can make you look like.

Speaking of Instagram, I'm so uncool I don't even have one.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    SaunaSuit wrote: »
    Today, these apples, oranges, tomatoes, kale, potatoes etc have no flavor, no juice. We used Pectin to jar and perserve our foods. We dident have to worrie about Herbicide and Pesticide Resistance, Accidental Toxicity. Today we get Exports from other countrys that send us there own "REJECTED" foods! Have you ever seen Asia or India Veggies they are HUGE! But America takes the small, perfect sizes because it is eye happy!

Exports
    Fresh, dried, frozen, preserved fruit
    Fresh, dried, frozen, preserved veg.
    Processed fruits and vegetables

Mexico (44%), Canada (12%), Chile (8%), the European Union (7%), China (6%), Peru (5%), and Costa Rica (3%). Other leading import suppliers were Guatemala, Thailand, Brazil, Argentina, Turkey, the Philippines, and Ecuador. All other importing countries accounted for about 5% of trade. The major imported products were tomatoes, peppers, bananas, other tropical fruits, potatoes, onions, garlic, cucumbers, melon, citrus, grapes, tree fruit, fruit juices, and various fresh and processed products.

Genetically Engineered Fruits and Vegetables: html_pubs/biotech/genen.htm

A Map Of Where Your Food Originated May Surprise You (look it up).

Could the rate at which we import food have perhaps something to do with the fact that our economy moved from an agrarian focus to a tech and commercial product focus with higher commodity value and as a result of our increased wealth it is simply cheaper to import food from countries whose economy is still largely agrarian rather than to pay for the labor necessary to grow it locally? That it makes more economic sense to train our labor force to do tech work that grows our GDP at a rate faster than that of agrarian sectors? Not to even mention seasons and the fact that it might be hard to grow a mango in January in the US. Just a thought. I mean I know, crazy, clearly it is the toxinz and chemikills making our produce small that explains why we would by fruit from Peru.

United States % GDP from agriculture: 1.1%

Peru % GDP from agriculture: 13.6%

GDP percentages
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_sector_composition

The tendency for agriculture to decline with economic growth due to it being a low value commodity:

https://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/172042/2/agec1986-1988v001i003a001.pdf

Similar to the current decline in manufacturing and mining being due to movement into information technologies.

With all that, the US still enjoys a trade surplus sending more fruit to Canada than it imports.

The economics of fruit are obvious with a drive through the fertile Okanagan valley that extends all through the western states as well. Where there used to be acres of fruit trees (still there here and there) there are now rows and upon rows of wine grapes. A lot more money to be made with wine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    SaunaSuit wrote: »
    kale, take mason jar place kale inside water with mint leaf. let sit over night or up to 3 days for stronger taste. add piece of ginger.
    What is even happening here?

Cold brew kale tea from the looks of it.

:s
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Enjoy. Google images is a goldmine.