Minimalists Unite

caco_ethes
caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
Minimalism is undeniably trendy these days but there are lots of people in whom minimalism just seems to have been ingrained from a young age. What’s it like being a minimalist in a world where stuff is king? What’s your minimalist story? Is minimalism going to go out of style or is this a renaissance of sorts that transforms us forever? How about that tiny house business? Could you? Would you?

In not so many words, dish about minimalism.

Replies

• CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Not by choice but I fit here
  • caco_ethes
    I have hated stuff FOREVER. My mom had to fish my diploma out of the trash a day after graduation.

Is it a sickness? I wonder sometimes. When all of my things burned up, I was overwhelmed with this giddy freedom. I was able to get rid of everything without guilt. I counted myself so lucky! (Myself, not my kids)
  • caco_ethes
    denny_mac wrote: »
    I could not, would not live in one of those tiny damn houses. For me minimal is not having unnecessary ... stuff. And also not having unnecessary people. But I need a house bigger than a closet.

It seems like more people are embracing this. Has there ever been more clutter everywhere around us than there is today???

I read recently that America has hit ‘peak stuff’. Decluttering is now the thing. Look up konmari on YouTube and there are tens of thousands of videos.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    denny_mac wrote: »
    I could not, would not live in one of those tiny damn houses. For me minimal is not having unnecessary ... stuff. And also not having unnecessary people. But I need a house bigger than a closet.

It seems like more people are embracing this. Has there ever been more clutter everywhere around us than there is today???

Second.
  • caco_ethes
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    I'd participate in this thread more but I'm trying to keep my posts minimalist as well.

I’VE NOTICED. :angry:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I really want to be a minimalist but those a holes I live with won't throw anything away. I have to donate or sneak it into the trash. Then they find it or wonder where it went. I can't win. I really want to get a big dumpster and just throw out at least half of our stuff. I loathe clutter and unneeded crap just laying around. I wouldn't be able to do a tiny house though, I do need space, just not space filled with stuff.
  • caco_ethes
    I’ve learned now from living in a tiny apartment that space is dreamy. And windows.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    No.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    FWIW...

I think some people are naturally minimalist - be it based on how their are raised or just who they are (nature and nurture).

I think some people are recognizing the downsides, for lack of a better word, of possessions and of having lots of stuff. As their pendulum swings away from objects and accumulation, they fall into the trendy side of minimalism. I do suspect that, at some point, their pendulum will swing back the other way, and hopefully they find a happy medium.

Personally, as I get older I seem to embrace efficiency more and more. A huge house and lots of possessions don't efficient very well, so I slowly find myself more interested in smaller, fewer, and simpler as a way of living.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    We'e retiring next year and moving to Vegas. We have lived in the same home for over 30 years. We have accumulated a lot of "stuff". We are doing our very best to not buy anything new in the next 16 months, but using up and/or getting rid of the "stuff" we have is a definite challenge.
  • caco_ethes
    I have a small farm where we try to grow and raise a large portion of what my family eats. We try to live simple so we can travel with our kids and show them all the amazing things around the world. Too many people don't experience anything outside of our own country so they really have no idea how spoiled we really are in America. Even our poor live like kings compared to some of the countries we have been to. Here is a great quote to live by.

" I would rather own a little and see the world, than own the world and see little of it."

That’s awesome. I feel like I’d be a nomad if I didn’t have a family. I’m itching to see everything there is to see.
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    You know what’s weird? The week before our fire I was visiting my friend to help her mom declutter. She (my friend) teases me about being a minimalist so I sent her a picture of my wardrobe when I got back because I had finally gotten it exactly how I wanted it. I still have the pic.

dpc2soy1p6e1.jpeg

I now have three times as many clothes thanks to friends gifting me things. I have to resist the urge every day to donate a bunch of it.

This is astonishing.
  • caco_ethes
    Yes, I think I could as long as I had a lot of outdoor space to spend my time in. Due to a recent cross country move and my Fathers passing, I had to get rid of two households worth of stuff. Made me not want stuff. I threw away things I was holding onto as memories. Made me realize memories are always with me, didnt need the things. I now own what fits into a 2006 Toyota Camry and it feels good man.

Yes, stuff as a placeholder for memories.. it does not compute. My MIL was furious with me after the fire when I told her we weren’t interested in tracking down our wedding photographer to get photos again. She got all bitter and told me she wanted me nowhere near her things after she dies. I wanted to say ‘like you’re going to care at that point, you’ll be dead’.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    I like it.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    You know what’s weird? The week before our fire I was visiting my friend to help her mom declutter. She (my friend) teases me about being a minimalist so I sent her a picture of my wardrobe when I got back because I had finally gotten it exactly how I wanted it. I still have the pic.

dpc2soy1p6e1.jpeg

I now have three times as many clothes thanks to friends gifting me things. I have to resist the urge every day to donate a bunch of it.

This is astonishing.

I had two items of clothing and three pairs of sandals not pictured, plus what I was wearing. Then all my other stuff (active wear, undergarments) in the dresser