Minimalists Unite

Options

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I am not a minimalist

Thank god. Otherwise you could’ve only posted like twice in the shoes thread.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I could do without some stuff but I’m not about to adopt it as a lifestyle.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    I am thinking about becoming a minimalist. All these men banging down my door are becoming too much to handle. I think I will pick my top 5

I know it’s hard but it’s so worth it. You’ll have sooo much more free time. You won’t regret it
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I've been wanting to get started with minimalism! We have so much stuff! I began eliminating some things, but it got a little overwhelming realizing just how much stuff we have. Feeling ready to get back into it. Any favorite resources for getting started?
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Oh gosh, I've been wanting to get started with minimalism! We have so much stuff! I began eliminating some things, but it got a little overwhelming realizing just how much stuff we have. Feeling ready to get back into it. Any favorite resources for getting started?

I’m a fan of the konmari method. You can look it up on YouTube, Lavendaire explains it well. It is completely immersive though so if you can’t commit a lot of time it would be super overwhelming. There’s another channel by Muchelle B, she has a 30 day minimalism challenge. It’s two weeks of physical and then two weeks of mental decluttering. It’s awesome. Those vids will likely lead you to many others. Good luck!
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    I can't stand clutter and don't feel the need to have an over abundance of most things... but somehow always seem to collect more of it... mostly gifts. I'm slowly starting my spring cleaning. I feel lighter after a good purge
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

I’m a fan of the konmari method.

That sounds like a feminine, self-strengthening method that you have to do in a bathtub.

• caco_ethes
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    This whole thread has an anti-capitalist, anti-consumption, commie, pinko leaning to it, doesn't it ?
    caco_ethes wrote: »

I’m a fan of the konmari method.

That sounds like a feminine, self-strengthening method that you have to do in a bathtub.

That was a whole bunch of words I didn’t know. And I read that as self-strangulating
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Having moved 6 times in the last 8 years, I’ve gotten rid of more than I ever keep. I don’t care for clutter, I’m not into trinkets and knick knacks. I’m not one to grow attachments to items so I usually have no problem eliminating things from my life. Since moving to this house we have accumulated so many things it’s almost overwhelming. Rugs, good lord we have more rugs than we have floor. Antique guilded mirrors, you cannot go in any room of this house and not see yourself. Couches, we have 200 couches where you can sleep tight. Art, so much art but the walls are covered in mirrors so none of that is up. Shoes...someone keeps bringing shoes into this house and they now occupy 3 rooms. We will move in 6 years and it will all be sold or donated. Except for the shoes.

I have anxiety just thinking about 2 couches, much less 200. :grimace:
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    After my mom died, my dad gave me all my moms crystalwear stuff and her cow collection not to mention all the afghans she crocheted and things like her graduation gown, wedding dress and baby items. They take up an entire large closet and I need that space. How do I get rid of these things? It seems so cold and sad. Not to mention, i have a few boxes of my deceased husbands things in there. Other than that, seems like I get rid of stuff monthly. Clothes, books etc.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    After my mom died, my dad gave me all my moms crystalwear stuff and her cow collection not to mention all the afghans she crocheted and things like her graduation gown, wedding dress and baby items. They take up an entire large closet and I need that space. How do I get rid of these things? It seems so cold and sad. Not to mention, i have a few boxes of my deceased husbands things in there. Other than that, seems like I get rid of stuff monthly. Clothes, books etc.

Just think of them as things. They meant something to your Mother, or your Husband, but the memories of them are in your head, in your heart. The items are just things. You will hold the memories for the rest of your life. You don't need things to remind you of your loved ones. It is hard, but that's what worked for me.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Sentimental items are the toughest. First of all, sorry about losing your mom. I haven’t lost a parent so please take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I could feel very differently when I’m in your shoes.

I think the biggest thing you need to figure out is if those items make you feel happy or if they tend to bring up negative emotions like guilt or sadness or the fear of what others might think if you disposed of them. Most people avoid these emotions by giving their things to someone else who will appreciate them. That’s maybe exactly why your dad gave them to you- not because he expects you to cherish them but because it made him feel guilty to get rid of them.

Memories are completely separate from objects. If you’re afraid you’ll forget things about your mom but still want to part ways with the items, take pictures of them. Sometimes the pic is all you need.

You may just feel a tremendous sense of relief in donating them or, if they’re in rough shape, even throwing them away. Remember, they do not represent your mom. They are completely and entirely different and unless these things fill you with happiness, there’s no reason to feel obligated to keep them.

You may want to see if your dad wants any of it back though. And if you think it would really hurt your dad if you get rid of those things, of course bear that in mind. But ultimately they are YOUR things now. Not your mom’s. Not your dad’s. You can choose what to do with them guilt free.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    Thank you guys, puts it in a new perspective. I'm going to let that simmer in my mind for a day or two.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

How did I miss that you lost your husband too? Decluttering things under those circumstances is awful. All the what ifs. Do you save things for the kids (if you had any together) or for other family members? Some people have strong emotional attachments to objects. I don’t understand it but I try to respect it. I’ve told my husband that he better not save one bit of my stuff. Then he can if he wants to but he knows I won’t expect him to from beyond the grave. :)
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    I am saving my deceased husbands things to give to my daughter who maybe one day will want them. She was a baby when he died so she never got to know him. And the things I saved of his are letters, artwork, songs, stories and poetry he wrote. My moms stuff on the other hand IS mostly just " stuff". I do think I'm almost ready to part ways with most if it. Maybe just keep one box. :)