Minimalists Unite

Options

Replies

• NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    As an aside...I found it very easy to get rid of my stuff. Was way harder to get rid of my parents things. Took me a series of paring down to do it. Last things that went were their high school annuals. I dreaded it, but once done I didnt look back.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Well, I’m minimalist in terms of modern society, but not minimalist in terms of, I own the absolute minimum. For one thing, I don’t need to do that, so it’s goofy to force it. For another, what it means to me is to live below your means. That means that you are saving and investing adequately and you aren’t trying to impress people. You just do what is practical. But, when I lived on a boat, I was bare bones minimalist. But, I had to be because space is limited. I find it rather easy to adjust to that, if needed. But, currently, I have too many shoes.

I agree it’s silly to force it and isn’t at all the point. Some people latch on to minimalism and see it as a goal rather than an overall mindset, so they force themselves to downsize to some arbitrary number of items or tell themselves they aren’t truly a minimalist unless they fillintheblank. That’s the problem with it becoming trendy. My friends think I give a crap if they have a lot of stuff and they apologetically say “but I could never live like you..” Then please don’t! Do what you want. That’s all I’m doing.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of clothing, accessories, and footwear - I wear it all, keep it organized & sorted, donate stuff regularly to declutter my wardrobe - but that prevents me from calling myself an actual minimalist.

When I lost all my stuff in a tornado 7 years ago, I decided it was time to live with less stuff and didn't replace most of it. So many things I'm happier without. I still enjoy decor but am a lot pickier and more mindful about it. I don't collect anything or want a bunch of knick knacks around. For gifts, I focus on consumables like food & cosmetics/skincare & other personal care stuff. I have a much healthier bank account and focus a lot more on doing things outside, traveling, etc.

My husband however is a true blue minimalist. We're both very frugal and try to avoid waste. We wouldn't choose to live in a tiny house but a lot of that is for practical reasons. Where we live (Midwestern city) it's not expensive to own a house let's say 1200-1400 square feet. It wouldn't be ALL that much cheaper for us to live in a home with 500-700 square feet...utilities wouldn't be drastically less, for one thing, and resale or profit from building a tiny home here would be pretty dire. There is no demand for it here. However, as a two person household we're rambling around in 1200 square feet and we have just about ZERO clutter. I like that!

this sounds minimalist - tiny house is a whole other ball game- I love them though

• caco_ethes
    Options
    As an aside...I found it very easy to get rid of my stuff. Was way harder to get rid of my parents things. Took me a series of paring down to do it. Last things that went were their high school annuals. I dreaded it, but once done I didnt look back.

I tell myself I’m anxious to get rid of my parents’ things but I’m sure in the moment it’ll be way more complicated than that.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Well, I’m minimalist in terms of modern society, but not minimalist in terms of, I own the absolute minimum. For one thing, I don’t need to do that, so it’s goofy to force it. For another, what it means to me is to live below your means. That means that you are saving and investing adequately and you aren’t trying to impress people. You just do what is practical. But, when I lived on a boat, I was bare bones minimalist. But, I had to be because space is limited. I find it rather easy to adjust to that, if needed. But, currently, I have too many shoes.

I agree it’s silly to force it and isn’t at all the point. Some people latch on to minimalism and see it as a goal rather than an overall mindset, so they force themselves to downsize to some arbitrary number of items or tell themselves they aren’t truly a minimalist unless they fillintheblank. That’s the problem with it becoming trendy. My friends think I give a crap if they have a lot of stuff and they apologetically say “but I could never live like you..” Then please don’t! Do what you want. That’s all I’m doing.

I get that too, friends apologizing for their stuff...I don't care how much stuff they own. I am definitely guilty of saying "I'm not minimalist because fill-in-the-blank" and it's because of minimalism YouTubers with their one bowl to use as a cup, wine glass, bowl and plate. Ok, I exaggerate...A LITTLE...but yeah, it's definitely more of a mindset.

• caco_ethes
    Options

I get that too, friends apologizing for their stuff...I don't care how much stuff they own. I am definitely guilty of saying "I'm not minimalist because fill-in-the-blank" and it's because of minimalism YouTubers with their one bowl to use as a cup, wine glass, bowl and plate. Ok, I exaggerate...A LITTLE...but yeah, it's definitely more of a mindset.

Half of those minimalist youtubers have dreds, a bong, two tank tops, no undies, tie dyed leggings, and a light my fire spork. It’s so unrealistic. I mean two tank tops??
  • NewlifeinNW
    Options

I tell myself I’m anxious to get rid of my parents’ things but I’m sure in the moment it’ll be way more complicated than that.

You know, a fire could take all those decisions out of your hands :D
  • caco_ethes
    Options

My dad is married to a hoarder. I don’t think he’s changed the lint trap since 1987.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Half of those minimalist youtubers have dreds, a bong, two tank tops, no undies, tie dyed leggings, and a light my fire spork. It’s so unrealistic. I mean two tank tops??

The ones I watch are like stark Swedish aesthetic and own nothing that isn't black or white. Equally unrealistic though!
  • caco_ethes
    Options

The ones I watch are like stark Swedish aesthetic and own nothing that isn't black or white. Equally unrealistic though!

Jenny Mustard? I adore her!
  • NewlifeinNW
    Options

My dad is married to a hoarder. I don’t think he’s changed the lint trap since 1987.

Might need that some day. My Dad had about a hundred old pill bottles with every screw, paperclip, tack, etc from 1963 forward.

*disclaimer: 1963 was pulled straight outta my *kitten* as a year guesstimate
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    You know what’s weird? The week before our fire I was visiting my friend to help her mom declutter. She (my friend) teases me about being a minimalist so I sent her a picture of my wardrobe when I got back because I had finally gotten it exactly how I wanted it. I still have the pic.

dpc2soy1p6e1.jpeg

I now have three times as many clothes thanks to friends gifting me things. I have to resist the urge every day to donate a bunch of it.

Sigh. I pack more than that for a long weekend.

I was much more of a minimalist when I was young and single and living in a tiny apartment in NYC. But it’s like George Carlin pointed out, the more space you have, the more stuff you get to fill it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoge6QzcGY

• slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I down sized my house by 1/3 with my last move. The only thing I really miss is a 2nd, or at least 1/2, bath on the main floor. That way there could be at least one bathroom that isn't a mess. I could live in something even smaller once the kids have left the nest. As far as stuff - I'm like @seltzermint555. I don't like having a lot, but I'm also too frugal to have a cycle of buy, donate, buy...
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options

My dad is married to a hoarder

I am when it comes to screws, fasteners, latches, bolts, nuts, nails, and the like. I have boxes and jars filled with misc stuff I find and keep, but I am the one every comes to when they need something.

• caco_ethes
    Options

Might need that some day. My Dad had about a hundred old pill bottles with every screw, paperclip, tack, etc from 1963 forward.

No my dad’s a minimalist too. He doesn’t change the lint trap because.. nevermind :smirk:
  • NewlifeinNW
    edited May 2018
    Options

No my dad’s a minimalist too. He doesn’t change the lint trap because.. nevermind :smirk:

Now I'm curious. Also wondering if never changing a lint trap might cause a fire. Hmm...
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options

See, you should just sit and be smart and pretty. Jokes don't work. :p
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I have nothing on my walls because I like to use my imagination.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    See, you should just sit and be smart and pretty. Jokes don't work. :p

osgngy9s3uxi.gif