Minimalists Unite

Options

Replies

• ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    I am even a minimalist in discussion replies.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    CatsIvuE wrote: »
    I grew up with nothing so now I like having some things. I gave two passions I spend money on but I’m a minimalist in all other areas. Especially people.

I think reserving your money for your passions is what minimalism is all about!
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    We'e retiring next year and moving to Vegas. We have lived in the same home for over 30 years. We have accumulated a lot of "stuff". We are doing our very best to not buy anything new in the next 16 months, but using up and/or getting rid of the "stuff" we have is a definite challenge.

I wish I could help :smiley:
  • ChaelAZ
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I am working towards decluttering and downsizing. I had years of chasing dreams, keeping up with Jones's, and spending for big things, but I am ready to live very simple and collect memories and experiences over things. We have a relatively big house and when the market is ready or the kids are done with school we'll sell it and live small. Only BIG thing there will be land around me. Every year my closet stuff is shrinking, my office collections are being sold off, and closets are looking more bare.

Edit to add, part of this is because we will be moving abroad when we retire and I don't want to have to ship stuff around the world.
  • caco_ethes
    edited May 2018
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    You know what’s weird? The week before our fire I was visiting my friend to help her mom declutter. She (my friend) teases me about being a minimalist so I sent her a picture of my wardrobe when I got back because I had finally gotten it exactly how I wanted it. I still have the pic.

dpc2soy1p6e1.jpeg

I now have three times as many clothes thanks to friends gifting me things. I have to resist the urge every day to donate a bunch of it.

Wonderful but go get some pastels sweetie.

JK. I really do like the looks of this. Very calming and streamlined. The best of minimalism.

I’m pale, babe. Pastels make me look like cat vomit.

Edit- was hoping you’d show up!
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    You know what’s weird? The week before our fire I was visiting my friend to help her mom declutter. She (my friend) teases me about being a minimalist so I sent her a picture of my wardrobe when I got back because I had finally gotten it exactly how I wanted it. I still have the pic.

dpc2soy1p6e1.jpeg

I now have three times as many clothes thanks to friends gifting me things. I have to resist the urge every day to donate a bunch of it.

You needed more flannels anyways.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

dpc2soy1p6e1.jpeg

Speaking of, I never received the box of flannels you shipped me
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Minimalism = I’m too broke to have *kitten* (me anyway).
  • caco_ethes
    Options

So are there things you wish you could have? Or are you content as is?
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options

dpc2soy1p6e1.jpeg

Obviously. You burned your house down so they couldn't be delivered.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    @caco_ethes I think my closet and my house in general would cause you a panic attack. I am cheap and keep things because someday I MIGHT need it and I don't want to spend hard earned money on it twice.
    For example, I still have several of my dresses from high school proms and semi formals. :|

So you’re a frugalist! I’m trying to find the happy medium between saving things that might be needed again and freefalling into giving every last thing away only to find myself at target every day buying crap I just had last week.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

So are there things you wish you could have? Or are you content as is?

Only purposeful things, not things that just sit on a shelf.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

dpc2soy1p6e1.jpeg

Luckily the fire didn’t spread to the mailbox
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    I am working towards decluttering and downsizing. I had years of chasing dreams, keeping up with Jones's, and spending for big things, but I am ready to live very simple and collect memories and experiences over things. We have a relatively big house and when the market is ready or the kids are done with school we'll sell it and live small. Only BIG thing there will be land around me. Every year my closet stuff is shrinking, my office collections are being sold off, and closets are looking more bare.

Edit to add, part of this is because we will be moving abroad when we retire and I don't want to have to ship stuff around the world.

Where abroad?
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    A years worth of pickles and peppers from our garden.
    cy0uffxhdpu8.png
    A years worth of jelly for our kids school lunches
    3wmr4wdpalin.png

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    here
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

dpc2soy1p6e1.jpeg

I am so sorry, but I laughed at this. Like really, really hard laughter.
    @Caporegiem is my favorite *kitten*

He’s the worst! Only one worster is @cee134
  • ChaelAZ
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »

Where abroad?

Italy will be the first place. Then we will figure out what is next after living there for a while. Dual citizenship to start, but prob ex-pat at some point.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Star Wars is a minimalist movie.