Ask the Cop

Options

Replies

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,210 Member
    Options
    So are you secretive in your real life about being a cop?

A lot of cops i’ve met don’t really tell people they’re cops. Do you do that as well? Not a judgement question just wondering

There is a lot of distaste for blue these days is all

I don’t hide it but I don’t advertise it either.

I was on SWAT for 10 years and 4 years assigned to our gang unit. I’m very well known by the ones that would want to hurt me.

I love everything about you did you know?

I love you too!
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    What equipment are you allowed to take home?

All of it.

Other than chemicals munitions and explosive breaches
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Johnda85 wrote: »
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    LSmith0018 wrote: »
    SwannySez wrote: »
    Do you judge people who keep a handcuff key on their keychain?
    I don’t judge people. I simply profile.

As in racial profile? :o

Criminal profile.

I was actually kidding but it does happen. I was once pulled over and my son was in the passenger side next to me and the officer immediately asked for his ID as well as mine. Not sure why as I was the one driving and not him but I just got a racist vibe from the dude. Maybe he thought we were illegal or something. That's always an assumption where I live. I hate it.

I ID everyone in the car, every time. A traffic stop is considered an investigation and I have the right to ID everyone in the car. I find a lot of warrants that way.

Arent you only allowed to ask for ID if a person has committed or is suspected of committing a crime?

You can ask anyone anything. Depending on the scenario the individual can just refuse to provide that information. If however as you put it “is part of that investigative stop” they refuse to provide the information then they are subject to being arrested for “resist, delay and obstruction” charges.

I don't see one good reason to ID every passenger in a vehicle for a routine traffic stop as our OP stated is his MO. He blatantly admitted to finding many warrants that way, but unless the person in question has committed or is suspected of committing a crime and not just a passenger in a vehicle or walking down the street freely... you can ask, but they are not required by law to provide you that information. If you arrested them at this point, would that not be an unlawful arrest?

Exactly. You’re correct.

To require that information be provided it has to part of constitutional detention “stop”. But you can ask all you want. There’s nothing wrong with that either. Make sense

I think it's so important to know your rights because there are plenty of "bully" cops out there and intimidate people into doing things or answering questions they don't really have to. I'm a law abiding American citizen and so is my son so we had no problem with him showing his ID even though he was a passenger only. But deep down, I think it was a racial thing. *shrugs*

I hope not. Hugs

I wouldn't think its a racial thing. My husband and I got pulled over in Louisville, Ky. He was driving, his three underage daughters in the back and I was in the passenger seat. They demanded that we provide ID ( and definitely weren't kind about it. They even questioned the girls in the back about their ages. This literally was all due to leaving the mall parking lot and our window tint being dark.

Well if that's you in the picture then I wouldn't say for your situation it was racial. My son is clearly a latino young man and I'm obviously a latina woman. I live in the south and people automatically make assumptions if you look a certain kind of way. I've seen it happen numerous times and with police officers so I'm automatically on the defense.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Are cops working in priveliged neighborhoods considered less ballsy or something than cops who work in the inner cities?

Here we rotate zones. But yes the guys assigned to pie gigs are usually viewed that way
  • Sharondee
    Sharondee Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I had a salesman at a car dealership tell me it's illegal to wear earbuds while driving. Is that true? (Or was he just trying to convince me to buy that Bluetooth-enabled car?)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    Just my thoughts - so cops pull people over for speeding, then don't give a ticket and just a "warning". Are these warnings documented? I was told no and feel they should be. I've been pulled over 3 times for speeding (all under 10 over) and each time received a ticket. The 3rd time I was 9 months pregnant and after the cop said he was giving me a ticket I let him know warnings should be documented and he didn't appreciate my "commentary" he said. :D

All stops are documented. I take it you’re meaning you given a piece of paper.

There are two types of warnings. Verbal and written. I assure you they all are documented via body cam, in-car cam and paper when it’s issued.

Even if you don’t receive paper with your verbal warning the officer has to complete a traffic stop form. These ensue that the officer is not racially profiling.

But is it documented in MY file, meaning the next time I'm stopped it shows I've been pulled over 3 times and given a speeding ticket each time and no warnings/let go/etc.? And for someone else, it shows they have been pulled over 5 times, given warnings and never received a ticket?
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options

All of it.

Presumably they keep strict records of all ammunition etc. So are your cuffs classified as yours? Or is it just considered quicker when it comes to cops going back out on shift?
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    What's the funniest thing to happen to you while on duty?

Wow, I’ll try to shorten this up.

We had a unit meeting with our chief. There were several concerns that the corporal was pushing the sgt to take care of with the chief. Had been hounding him for weeks.

I the meeting the sgt brought up the concerns and said that he felt the agency had lost focus on what the unit was for. The chief then looked at the sgt and said that when we get out of this meeting you can meet with me and the major and we will get you back in focus. The Chief then turned to this corporal and asked if he felt the same. The corporal said “ no sir chief, you know me. Anything you ask I’ll do”. The sgt turned and looked at him like he was going to kill him.

When we got outside another guy dropped down in front of the sgt and mimicked giving head while saying “ you know me chief, I’ll do whatever you ask”. The chief and corporal walked out as he was doing this. It was *kitten* hilarious
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

All of it.

Other than chemicals munitions and explosive breeches

Sounds interesting

They are NOT pants.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Sharondee wrote: »
    I had a salesman at a car dealership tell me it's illegal to wear earbuds while driving. Is that true? (Or was he just trying to convince me to buy that Bluetooth-enabled car?)

States have different laws. It’s not here.

• kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Just my thoughts - so cops pull people over for speeding, then don't give a ticket and just a "warning". Are these warnings documented? I was told no and feel they should be. I've been pulled over 3 times for speeding (all under 10 over) and each time received a ticket. The 3rd time I was 9 months pregnant and after the cop said he was giving me a ticket I let him know warnings should be documented and he didn't appreciate my "commentary" he said. :D

All stops are documented. I take it you’re meaning you given a piece of paper.

There are two types of warnings. Verbal and written. I assure you they all are documented via body cam, in-car cam and paper when it’s issued.

Even if you don’t receive paper with your verbal warning the officer has to complete a traffic stop form. These ensue that the officer is not racially profiling.

But is it documented in MY file, meaning the next time I'm stopped it shows I've been pulled over 3 times and given a speeding ticket each time and no warnings/let go/etc.? And for someone else, it shows they have been pulled over 5 times, given warnings and never received a ticket?

If you mean file as in your computer record yes. But it’s logged under the license plate.

If you receive an actual ticket it’s logged under your drivers license number
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Do cops feel misunderstood?

You killing me. I hate the soap boxes.

It’s simple really. No one likes getting tickets, no one likes to get arrested while they are beating their spouse. The criminals don’t like having an obstacle in their way to take, kill and rape as they see fit. The general public only sees the traffic cop. They perceive that as harassment in the roadways.

But the most hard core people that spit and hate on me are always thrilled to see me when their house is being shot up and they are getting their face kicked in.

I hope that gives some perspective.

But when I’m running emergency traffic to help someone or chasing a guy on foot who just shot someone I don’t think about that. You don’t consider that who you’re helping today was your aggressor yesterday or the one who spit in your face. You simply stop the chaos that’s happening.

But when a child is hurt it takes a piece of my soul. That you can’t get back.

I love you

I love you too.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

All of it.

Presumably they keep strict records of all ammunition etc. So are your cuffs classified as yours? Or is it just considered quicker when it comes to cops going back out on shift?

Correct on the ammo.

Departments are different. But we like you to arrive to work ready to answer a call. We also like you to have your equipment to keep yourself safe coming to and from work.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Did the fire academy turn you down?