Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is verbal harassment common at the gym? And do women or men catch more of it?

Options

Replies

• KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Not really, I like my gym a lot. It's the local University gym, but is open to the community for a small yearly fee. You would expect the college students to be judgmental or rude, but they really just keep to themselves and independently work out. No harassment that I have seen, but there are occasional issues of small locker room theft, and a few parents who drop off unattended, unruly, children and tweenagers while they go into town and run errands. Most of the former, I suspect, is perpetrated by the latter.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Never have I witnessed it or had it happen to me. Everyone just ignores me at the gym :D well I have had a couple guys make some *hilarious* comments about how little weight I was lifting
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    never once have i witnessed nor personally experienced any poor behavior. i see videos of gym shaming and im like...what? who would do that? i find that me, and everyone else...we are just there to do our thing...ear buds in and so focused on ourselves and getting thru our workout...people don't even talk...except to say hi or quick couple of words while getting our shoes on to be friendly.
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, I think this thought is more common among people who don't go to the gym. Most people at the gym are there to work out and are paying attention to what they are doing, not what someone else is doing. And when we do speak, it's almost always helpful. I think the thought that people can get harassed is along the same mindset of those who are afraid to go to the gym as an out of shape person for fear of being judged. I think the only judging that happens is.."good for you." We are all just trying to better ourselves however we can.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have never been harassed at the gym. Throughout the course of 9 years of jogging, I think I've gotten "nice rack" comments 2-3 times.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    High School, College, Overseas x2, Work Gym, New Gym, Body Boot Camp, never been harassed, intimidated. But I go in and get it done. If I see someone doing something that would hurt themselves, ill usually say something or offer a suggestion. Now friends of mine might get or give me a hard time but its all in good fun.

Now if I was to go to say a Planet Fitness, Im sure id get the LUNK ALARM (but they dont judge.........) due to the fact that sometimes I grunt or ill set a weight down louder then normal. So in that case, Id consider it harassment. But i dont go there so............
  • JDMac82
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    JDMac82 wrote: »
    High School, College, Overseas x2, Work Gym, New Gym, Body Boot Camp, never been harassed, intimidated. But I go in and get it done. If I see someone doing something that would hurt themselves, ill usually say something or offer a suggestion. Now friends of mine might get or give me a hard time but its all in good fun.

Now if I was to go to say a Planet Fitness, Im sure id get the LUNK ALARM (but they dont judge.........) due to the fact that sometimes I grunt or ill set a weight down louder then normal. So in that case, Id consider it harassment. But i dont go there so............

It's okay. You can sign up with planet fitness and lunk to your heart's content without fear or trepidation. They never actually sound the lunk alarm in real life. Never I tell you.

Why would I sign up for a gym membership, when my work has two gyms for FREE and theres all of the outdoors to run in????

Plus when i lift legs, I wear silkies aka ranger panties!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

It's okay. You can sign up with planet fitness and lunk to your heart's content without fear or trepidation. They never actually sound the lunk alarm in real life. Never I tell you.

Why would I sign up for a gym membership, when my work has two gyms for FREE and theres all of the outdoors to run in????

Silk ranger panties are allowed at Planet Fitness. Also allowed are Euro spandex bathing panties typically seen on beaches on the mediterannean coast. As long as you wear a pair of American boxers over them and only allow a hint of viewing during your normal exercise activities, as you do now.

If you ever get a new job with no gym or it's raining outside, you should go to Planet Fitness so you can tell all the people here that it's alright after all because they really have the wrong idea.

I don't believe they are.

Especially since they are customarily worn commando.
  • JDMac82
    edited June 2018
    Options

Silk ranger panties are allowed at Planet Fitness. Also allowed are Euro spandex bathing panties typically seen on beaches on the mediterannean coast. As long as you wear a pair of American boxers over them and only allow a hint of viewing during your normal exercise activities, as you do now.

If you ever get a new job with no gym or it's raining outside, you should go to Planet Fitness so you can tell all the people here that it's alright after all because they really have the wrong idea.

Oh no, they arent covered up with another layer, ROM is why i wear them during LEG day.
  • JDMac82
    Options

I'm not following you. Pics?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ranger+panties&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb7tTmytPbAhUEQawKHebpAX8Q_AUICygC&biw=1900&bih=931
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I'm not following you. Pics?

Some things you just can't unsee.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Other than a lady in the locker room talking (loudly) to the other ladies across the room about how and why it's best to use individual dumbells over barbells (she had just watched me doing a SL 5x5 routine), none. And I been gong to gyms for a looong time.
  • beachbody4l
    beachbody4l Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of three different gyms in my area and have worked out at about five including a crossfit gym. No one has ever been directly rude, but by far the rudest people where at an all-women gym. So catty. Also one time at an Anytime this dude kept creeping closer and closer to me and my mom while we were using the squat rack. Creepy but he didn't say anything to us, just stared while we did squats.
This discussion has been closed.