men in yoga class....

Options

Replies

• JessieMaeH82
    JessieMaeH82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Room full of hot young hippies trying to discover themselves and find "that something that's missing from inside them"...

If anything I'm surprised how few men go to yoga classes.

agreed
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    At our health club I think the men outnumber the women in the yoga class. Probably 2 out of every 3 people in the class are men.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Topic: Women in the weights area, lifting heavy...

Discuss whether they should be there...

Yes, I am being very, very, very sarcastic, but hopefully using a sledgehammer will have made the point...
    Agreed...haven't done an Asana yet that has been impeded by my manly bits
  • JessieMaeH82
    JessieMaeH82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think it's great! There is 1/2 and 1/2 where I go. I'm even going to start taking my 9 yr old daughter this weekend and when my son gets old enough to handle being quiet he'll go too.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    never done a class per say, but I love the different yoga workout DVDs like the P90X one and some rodney yee as well.
    I probably would not feel comfortable in a room full of girls, but then again that's what I have when I do gymnastic so...
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Ok...ok...So its not as uncommon as i thought, i love in a fault small city with more of an older view of things, but here is why i was considering yoga and i would appreciate your feedback on this as well. I am a diabetic with chronic pancreatitis and have had several surgeries in the belly and just above the hip area...i also have plantars fasciitis...as a sports official i have a lot of foot pain, shin splints and general muscle aches....

My thought was this would help with muscle pain as i would be more flexible and would have stretched many muscles through class....
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Topic: Women in the weights area, lifting heavy...

Discuss whether they should be there...

I hope men feel as welcome in a yoga class as women feel in a weight room. What I've heard (or read, rather) is that men find it extremely distracting to be surrounded by upward facing butts in tight pants. I cannot say I find it distracting to be in a weights area, because men do not wear yoga pants there. I wish they would.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ok...ok...So its not as uncommon as i thought, i love in a fault small city with more of an older view of things, but here is why i was considering yoga and i would appreciate your feedback on this as well. I am a diabetic with chronic pancreatitis and have had several surgeries in the belly and just above the hip area...i also have plantars fasciitis...as a sports official i have a lot of foot pain, shin splints and general muscle aches....

My thought was this would help with muscle pain as i would be more flexible and would have stretched many muscles through class....

Yoga would be great for you!

There are almost always multiple men in my classes.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am a man and I LOVE yoga!!

My fitness road has taken me to other activities but I still regularly use the stretching and breathing exercises I learned in the beginners yoga class I took near the beginning of my weight loss journey.

I am currently training to run a marathon. The group I train with started out with 8 people. We are down to 3! Most of those who have quit or dropped/stayed with the half distance, did so because of pain/soreness/stiffness resulting from the repetitive strain put on the body by running long distances. I credit my continued training with my regular yoga style stretching.

As I am relatively a newly fit person after years of obesity and inactivity. I am trying so many things that I never thought possible for me. Once I get through this kid in a candy store phase. I will certainly be back in a yoga class to help maintain my fitness and spirit.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What do you mean? Like, should there be men in yoga class? Do I think they're straight or gay? What thoughts do you want?

There have been men in every yoga class I've ever taken and I never thought anything about it.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My husband is Nesta Certified to teach yoga. Teaches Body Flow (Les Mills), Power Yoga, and Hot Yoga.

He has a lot of guys in his Power Yoga class because he makes it more for men by focusing on strength with the upper body in poses like Crow versus in more of the other classes that focuses more on hip openers, etc. which are difficult for men.

But in general, as my husband says- Men that take yoga are smart. Where else will you find a room of gorgeous women in little clothing bending over?

More men SHOULD take yoga :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm not really interested - I also don't get into zumba, pilates, aerobics, etc. The gym and running have always worked for me. But if men want to participate in yoga, why not?
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    What do you mean? Like, should there be men in yoga class? Do I think they're straight or gay? What thoughts do you want?

There have been men in every yoga class I've ever taken and I never thought anything about it.

Pshhh, i get asked if i am gay all the time because i wear French cuff shirts that are pink or purple with jerry Garcia ties but truth is i am and can be perverted and i love beautiful women. So i was curious if a woman saw a man in class and assumed 'another one here for the view'. As stated by others, including myvfriends, where else can you find women in tight pants with their *kitten* in the air. I don't want to be "that guy"
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    If one is worried about the demographic make-up of one's yoga class, then one does not understand the purpose of yoga.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I've taken it a few times, I have friends who practice it and a family member who teaches it. I think it's a great way to stretch out if your body is capable of such a thing. I'm just not bendy enough to do much of anything with it.

So . . . what do I think of guys who take it? It depends on the dude.
  • yoyofighter
    yoyofighter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yoga is so good for you on multiple levels and I see lots of guys in Yoga and never thought anything about it. Come do it with me! ;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Pshhh, i get asked if i am gay all the time because i wear French cuff shirts that are pink or purple with jerry Garcia ties but truth is i am and can be perverted and i love beautiful women. So i was curious if a woman saw a man in class and assumed 'another one here for the view'. As stated by others, including myvfriends, where else can you find women in tight pants with their *kitten* in the air. I don't want to be "that guy"
    lol

I was mostly asking because of the extreme vagueness of your question. :-)

I have never been bothered by men in yoga class. Honestly, if you've ever done yoga you'll realize that if you're actually participating, it isn't easy and you have to really concentrate on what you're doing, so ogling isn't really possible. I think I would be bothered if I noticed a guy just sitting on his mat staring at the women doing postures, but as long as the guy is participating, no problem.

It is very common, especially for men who run. It's very good for balance and flexibility, which will improve performance for pretty much any other exercise you do.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options

Pshhh, i get asked if i am gay all the time because i wear French cuff shirts that are pink or purple with jerry Garcia ties but truth is i am and can be perverted and i love beautiful women.

Every girl's crazy about a sharp dressed man....
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've gone to a yoga class, there's always been a few men there. I don't see anything wrong with it.

It should help with your muscle pain. I love yoga. I think anyone who works out would benefit from it
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I know men who do yoga and love it.