men in yoga class....

Options

Replies

• harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Ok...ok...So its not as uncommon as i thought, i love in a fault small city with more of an older view of things, but here is why i was considering yoga and i would appreciate your feedback on this as well. I am a diabetic with chronic pancreatitis and have had several surgeries in the belly and just above the hip area...i also have plantars fasciitis...as a sports official i have a lot of foot pain, shin splints and general muscle aches....

My thought was this would help with muscle pain as i would be more flexible and would have stretched many muscles through class....

<<<T2D here.
    I've had chronic upper quadrant belly pain and PF as well. Nothing, NOTHING helped the way yoga did.
    I also had issues with slow gastric emptying that got much better with certain poses. Downward doggie is great for PF & child's pose helped with my digestion issues. A couple of 'flows' that included these poses was all it took to get things feeling good. When I stop my practice for a few months, everything tightens up again and the same maladies come back. Especially the PF, tight calves, quads and hammies are the pits :frown:

If you feel funky about it, why not do it at home? There are a great deal of free yoga instruction on the 'net. Once you feel more comfortable and confident, you can go to a class. ORRRRRrrrrr you could go to a yoga studio. These folks are very serious about their yoga practice and know how to engage their Mula Bandhas effectively :laugh:

http://www.yogadownload.com/
    http://www.myyogaonline.com/ (my personal fave)

I know me...if i am at home i find stuff to do because i am not home during my officiating seasons....
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Men who do yoga are hot - and not because they look like Rodney Yee - rather because they are open minded enough to try it in the first place.

Men who are there to look at women are creepy.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am, this is my cardio exercises :)

Is yoga considered cardio? You are just sitting there and meditating, right?

Modern yoga is extremely intense and you burn a decent bit of calories and earn flexibility for your body.
    I burn about 200 calories in an hour of intense vinyasa flow yoga. I have read you can burn 600 an hour, but I don't know who's making that stat up.

It IS intense and effective and a wonderful exercise in many ways. It doesn't burn a lot of calories, though.

I think the 600 might be because of folks heavy weight and the kind of yoga they're doing. Obviously different level of intensity in yoga would provide different burns. Are you sure you are checking out the right workout on MFP database? I mean I know you are fairly light weight (compared to me at least) but 200 seems very low for an hour. I burn more just walking...
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    What do you mean? Like, should there be men in yoga class? Do I think they're straight or gay? What thoughts do you want?

There have been men in every yoga class I've ever taken and I never thought anything about it.

Pshhh, i get asked if i am gay all the time because i wear French cuff shirts that are pink or purple with jerry Garcia ties but truth is i am and can be perverted and i love beautiful women. So i was curious if a woman saw a man in class and assumed 'another one here for the view'. As stated by others, including myvfriends, where else can you find women in tight pants with their *kitten* in the air. I don't want to be "that guy"

Dude. I would be very gay If French cuff shirts, custom suits, pink and purple ties and shirts, and generally giving a **** about how I look made me gay. I'm pretty sure that there's a bit more to it than that . . . but let me go ask a friend

*whisper, whisper* Move your tongue in a circular motion *whisper, whisper* Buck Rogers' mother in hold-ups *whisper, whisper* hold your ankles and stretch out the hams *whisper, whisper* disco sticks *whisper, whisper* nipples slathered in peanut butter *whisper, whisper* practice those breathing techniques *whisper, whisper*

NOW YOU'VE GOT IT!

Pass grade: (g)A(y) *
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    What do you mean? Like, should there be men in yoga class? Do I think they're straight or gay? What thoughts do you want?

There have been men in every yoga class I've ever taken and I never thought anything about it.

Pshhh, i get asked if i am gay all the time because i wear French cuff shirts that are pink or purple with jerry Garcia ties but truth is i am and can be perverted and i love beautiful women. So i was curious if a woman saw a man in class and assumed 'another one here for the view'. As stated by others, including myvfriends, where else can you find women in tight pants with their *kitten* in the air. I don't want to be "that guy"

Dude. I would be very gay If French cuff shirts, custom suits, pink and purple ties and shirts, and generally giving a **** about how I look made me gay. I'm pretty sure that there's a bit more to it than that . . . but let me go ask a friend

Dude, not sure why this rant but you obviously read something wrong....
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with yoga. I did it. Was the only guy in the class... not complaining lol.

It's like advance stretching to me.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Modern yoga is extremely intense and you burn a decent bit of calories and earn flexibility for your body.
    I burn about 200 calories in an hour of intense vinyasa flow yoga. I have read you can burn 600 an hour, but I don't know who's making that stat up.

It IS intense and effective and a wonderful exercise in many ways. It doesn't burn a lot of calories, though.

^^^ I strongly doubt the 600 calories an hour figure. This study reports an expenditure of 144 kcal an hour:

http://journals.lww.com/jcrjournal/Citation/2005/09000/The_Physiological_Effects_of_8_Weeks_of_Yoga.16.aspx
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I think the 600 might be because of folks heavy weight and the kind of yoga they're doing. Obviously different level of intensity in yoga would provide different burns. Are you sure you are checking out the right workout on MFP database? I mean I know you are fairly light weight (compared to me at least) but 200 seems very low for an hour. I burn more just walking...
    That's with my HRM, not what's in the database. I burn 300-600 in an hour walking (depending on intensity, hills and if I throw in some jogging).

Yoga is not huge a calorie-burner. It just isn't.
  • rml_16
    Options

^^^ I strongly doubt the 600 calories an hour figure. This study reports an expenditure of 144 kcal an hour:

http://journals.lww.com/jcrjournal/Citation/2005/09000/The_Physiological_Effects_of_8_Weeks_of_Yoga.16.aspx
    Yeah. That was what I was saying.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Dude, not sure why this rant but you obviously read something wrong....

Rant? Mild sarcasm meant to be humorous and definitely not ranting. Apologies if it came off that way, but lighten up!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

*whisper, whisper* Move your tongue in a circular motion *whisper, whisper* Buck Rogers' mother in hold-ups *whisper, whisper* hold your ankles and stretch out the hams *whisper, whisper* disco sticks *whisper, whisper* nipples slathered in peanut butter *whisper, whisper* practice those breathing techniques *whisper, whisper*

NOW YOU'VE GOT IT!

Pass grade: (g)A(y) *

Thank you, Friend! :laugh:

That clears things up
  • rml_16
    Options

I think this is a fun post, more than a serious question. The question is a bit odd though. I never gave a second thought about doing yoga. It's a really super great way to stretch. I feel fantastic afterward. I wish I would do it more often.
    Well, he had a question and I wanted to answer it, but I wasn't quote sure what it was based on the OP.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Why would it be weird? RDJ does it.
    robert-downy-jr-300x204.jpg

I've never done yoga, and this isn't exactly selling me on it...
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i take a hot yoga class twice a week. its usually about a quarter guys- anywhere from 4 to 8 or 9 out of about 25 to 30. being a guy i was nervous it was going to be all women, but it wasn't. and once inside, everyone is so focused on their own stuff, i have no idea what anyone else is doing, guy or girl.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

Is yoga considered cardio? You are just sitting there and meditating, right? Resistance training seems to describe it better, I think.

No wonder you don't get it... you don't know what yoga is.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

My boss is from India and says he learned yoga from a master, or whatever he called him, and said that Americans do yoga wrong and for the wrong reasons. I explained that it can be anything and in the USA, it's kind of an exercise too. He said they have that too in India for the advanced folks, but it takes a lifetime to get there. Whereas here, Americans push way to hard to achieve. It's not about that. Anyways, I'm just rambling. Too much coffee.

To be honest, not a lot of real yogis left in India either. Most of the people who do yoga in India also do it for the wrong reason and the wrong way. Like I said earlier, the original yoga wasn't really about a workout or even medidation (like many want to think nowadays). It was simply a 1 man circus show that evolved out of the necessity to survive for the saints and worshippers. There are of course still true yogis in India but most of the time, the commercialized yoga masters aren't really yogis either. And the western yoga is just laughable.
  • rml_16
    Options

My boss is from India and says he learned yoga from a master, or whatever he called him, and said that Americans do yoga wrong and for the wrong reasons. I explained that it can be anything and in the USA, it's kind of an exercise too. He said they have that too in India for the advanced folks, but it takes a lifetime to get there. Whereas here, Americans push way to hard to achieve. It's not about that. Anyways, I'm just rambling. Too much coffee.
    I do it because it makes me feel good. I like the stretch and the relaxation, but also the increase in flexibility (though I'm pretty naturally bendy, which helps me get into those more advanced poses) and the better posture and strength. I'm not competitive about it. I've done it long enough that I just do it on my own in my living room now instead of paying for classes.

It really is a very healthy, good practice and it can decrease injuries in other exercises when you do it regularly.

Right now, I'm recovering from a shattered left wrist and fractured right elbow, so any poses that require weight on my arms are not easy and I can't flow between up and down dog. I hate it. It used to be so easy and now I can't do it at all (pain in my wrists and decreased arm strength). I'm working on it. My PT pretty much ordered me to do both poses, though, to work on strength and getting full range of motion back so I'm trying!