men in yoga class....

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Why would it be weird? RDJ does it.
    robert-downy-jr-300x204.jpg

I've never done yoga, and this isn't exactly selling me on it...

My boss is from India and says he learned yoga from a master, or whatever he called him, and said that Americans do yoga wrong and for the wrong reasons. I explained that it can be anything and in the USA, it's kind of an exercise too. He said they have that too in India for the advanced folks, but it takes a lifetime to get there. Whereas here, Americans push way to hard to achieve. It's not about that. Anyways, I'm just rambling. Too much coffee.

I always enjoy the "Americans don't get it" arguments. I heard that a lot about martial arts when I was living in Japan and listening to rants on the importance of kata movements. It's also the main reason that I waited until we returned to put my daughter into MMA classes. I didn't need some xenophobic and sexist asshat telling her she didn't "get it."
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    My best friend is tatted from feet to neck and does yoga regularly. He enjoys the odd looks he gets.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My best friend is tatted from feet to neck and does yoga regularly. He enjoys the odd looks he gets.

I'm overweight with tattoo's and I wear Nintendo or Star Wars shirts, I get some weird looks lol
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think you should do whatever you want. :) Give it a try! I go to an all-women's gym, so I have no idea if guys do yoga on the regular, but I don't think it'd hurt to be the only male, right?
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm a dude and I do Piyo, A mix pilates and Yoga strength Hybrid Strength class. I'd love it. The muscle builds are longer and leaner vs round and bulk. Cause body building target a certain set of muscle group and it doesn't show you where you are weak. Yoga, it's quickly evident that what and where are your problematic areas and you can use Yoga or other weight training and exercise to quickly shore them up. And not to mention some of the poses are very cool to do and to achieve.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

I'm overweight with tattoo's and I wear Nintendo or Star Wars shirts, I get some weird looks lol

Attention *kitten*!
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options

but, do you wear them to yoga?
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I love yoga... and his little friend booboo.

No seriously, yoga is great. I see nothing wrong with us men doing it.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    What do you mean? Like, should there be men in yoga class? Do I think they're straight or gay? What thoughts do you want?

There have been men in every yoga class I've ever taken and I never thought anything about it.

Pshhh, i get asked if i am gay all the time because i wear French cuff shirts that are pink or purple with jerry Garcia ties but truth is i am and can be perverted and i love beautiful women. So i was curious if a woman saw a man in class and assumed 'another one here for the view'. As stated by others, including myvfriends, where else can you find women in tight pants with their *kitten* in the air. I don't want to be "that guy"

Dude. I would be very gay If French cuff shirts, custom suits, pink and purple ties and shirts, and generally giving a **** about how I look made me gay. I'm pretty sure that there's a bit more to it than that . . . but let me go ask a friend

Dude, not sure why this rant but you obviously read something wrong....

Rant? Mild sarcasm meant to be humorous and definitely not ranting. Apologies if it came off that way, but lighten up!

You know...some yoga could probably help with the obvious rage issues. (I joke....I keed)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options

Of course!!! I am who I am!!!
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yoga class - sure.
    Yoga pants - HELL NO!
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am, this is my cardio exercises :)

Is yoga considered cardio? You are just sitting there and meditating, right?

Modern yoga is extremely intense and you burn a decent bit of calories and earn flexibility for your body.
    I burn about 200 calories in an hour of intense vinyasa flow yoga. I have read you can burn 600 an hour, but I don't know who's making that stat up.

It IS intense and effective and a wonderful exercise in many ways. It doesn't burn a lot of calories, though.

The Piyo hybrid, the same week I started doing an insanity class, session for session, I burn about the same calorie 620-650 range in both classes.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

You get the weird looks because you're Canadian.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Why would it be weird? RDJ does it.
    robert-downy-jr-300x204.jpg

I've never done yoga, and this isn't exactly selling me on it...

My boss is from India and says he learned yoga from a master, or whatever he called him, and said that Americans do yoga wrong and for the wrong reasons. I explained that it can be anything and in the USA, it's kind of an exercise too. He said they have that too in India for the advanced folks, but it takes a lifetime to get there. Whereas here, Americans push way to hard to achieve. It's not about that. Anyways, I'm just rambling. Too much coffee.

I always enjoy the "Americans don't get it" arguments. I heard that a lot about martial arts when I was living in Japan and listening to rants on the importance of kata movements. It's also the main reason that I waited until we returned to put my daughter into MMA classes. I didn't need some xenophobic and sexist asshat telling her she didn't "get it."

I dunno about karate but for yoga, its not so much that Americans don't get it or that they're doing it wrong, its just that it isn't yoga. Which is fine and the western yoga is actually pretty healthy and flexible imo. I think my personal gripe with it is that they used a term that was sacred to many in the pure form and butchered it to the point that many Indians don't even recognize it anymore and its all completely commercialized now.
  • Jess1caLe
    Jess1caLe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Topic: Women in the weights area, lifting heavy...

Discuss whether they should be there...

Yes, I am being very, very, very sarcastic, but hopefully using a sledgehammer will have made the point...

BUMP.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's on the agenda in future.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options

You get the weird looks because you're Canadian.

In Canada we all look the same!

2lwlpoh.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Is yoga considered cardio? You are just sitting there and meditating, right?

Modern yoga is extremely intense and you burn a decent bit of calories and earn flexibility for your body.

I did not know that. I was thinking it was more like Pilates where you do different poses and hold your body in that position. That's interesting that they've added cardio to it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Is yoga considered cardio? You are just sitting there and meditating, right? Resistance training seems to describe it better, I think.

No wonder you don't get it... you don't know what yoga is.

True. I have only ever played sports, lifted weights, or swimming, biking, hiking, running, walking. Everything I have seen of it has been people talking about meditation and becoming flexible and staying posed in a specific posture and such. I never knew they changed it and added a cardio element.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Yoga class - sure.
    Yoga pants - HELL NO!

:angry: